To have a better web experience, please upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 or above, or upgrade to a modern web browser like Firefox or Chrome.
Astoria, Oregon, is located on the Columbia River at River Mile (RM) 13, just upstream of Youngs Bay, and downstream of Tongue Point. Astoria-Megler Bridge, and Coxcomb Hill, home of the Astoria Column, rises within the city and offers good views of Astoria and the surrounding area.
Lewis and Clark arrived at Tongue Point on November 27, 1805, and spent ten days at this camp while they built their winter quarters at Fort Clatsop, where they spent the next four months. Astoria is Oregon's oldest city, being founded in March 1811 by the New York financier, John Jacob Aster and the Pacific Fur Company. Astor’s Pacific Fur Company was in a race with the British North West Company to reach the Columbia River and stake a claim to the fur trade in the region. On September 8, 1810, the first Astorians, as the Pacific Fur Company men were known, sailed from New York in the ship Tonquin, which reached the Columbia in the spring of 1811. In 1818, the British surrendered Fort George to the Americans, however Fort George continued to be used by the North West Company. In 1821 the British North West Company merged with the Hudson's Bay Company, and in 1825 Dr.
In 1856, the town of Astoria was officially incorporated, having gained the reputation of being one of the wildest towns on the West Coast. There are two "Astoria Entrance Monuments", one at Smith's Point and one at 33rd and Leif Erickson Drive. The large octagonal concrete pylons originally stood together on either side of the Lower Columbia River Highway (now 54th Steet).
But the first permanent settlement in Clatsop county was not made until April 12, 1811, when the ship "Tonquin", a vessel sent out from New York by John Jacob Astor, disembarked 16 men with tools, provisions, utensils and supplies, who were to co-operate with a large force of men, sent across the plains by Mr. At Upper Astoria is located the custom-house, off which is the rendezvous of the United State revenue cutter. May 24, 1932, the Airship Akron visited Astoria, an event depicted on the side of the Shallon Winery Building. Astoria Column was built in 1926, is 125 feet high, has 164 steps spiraling to the top, and has 14 bas-relief pictorials illustrating the history of Astoria.
Astoria-Megler Bridge was begun in 1962, completed in 1966, and formally dedicated August 27, 1966. Also known as the "Soldiers' Monument" and the "Doughboy Monument", the Astoria Victory Monument was constructed in 1926 and re-dedicated in 1991.
Located at a five-way intersection, the monument rests on a triangular parcel whose dimensions are approximately 40 feet on the west; 55 feet on the north, and 70 feet on the south. The announcement that the American Legion would put up the monument appeared on March 5 of 1926. Dedicated at the Astoria's Founders Celebration on July 21, 1926, the monument cost $1350 for the statue and $3200 for the base. The original sculptor of the monument's statue, John Paulding, was born in Arcanum, Ohio, c.1873-1878. These small gillnet fishing boats were powered by two triangular sails, giving rise to the name "Butterfly Fleet".
The Cannery Pier Hotel is located on the western end of Astoria, downstream of the Astoria-Megler Bridge.
The Hotel reflects both the architecture and heritage of the original 1900s Union Fisherman's Cannery building. The Columbia River Maritime Museum was founded in 1962 by Rolf Klep, a native of Astoria who retired back to his home town. In 1876 (some sources say 1879) the Kinney Cannery was built between 5th and 6th Street in Astoria. This was the third cannery built in Astoria and the first to be built in the downtown area. Coxcomb Hill rises above Astoria and is the home to the Astoria Column and the Chief Comcomly Burial Canoe replica. In 1875 Samuel Elmore came west and became an agent for Robert Hume in San Francisco, where he marketed canned salmon overseas. In 1898 Samuel Elmore began construction on a new wharf and new cannery building at the foot of Flavel Street.


In 1966 the Samuel Elmore Cannery was designated as a National Historic Landmark as the longest continuously-operated salmon cannery in the United States. The Pier 14 Pilot Station is the home of the Columbia River Pilots, tug and pilot boats which have guided ships on the Columbia for over 150 years. Fort Astoria Park is located at the intersection of 15th and Exchange streets, Astoria, Oregon. In 1956 a re-creation of the blockhouse of the old Fort Astoria was built and a sign telling the history was erected nearby.
Columbia River Packer's Association - original Hanthorn Cannery buildings, 39th Street, Astoria, Oregon. According to the Josephson's Smokehouse website (2013), Josephson's is a fourth-generation family-owned business and has been in operation for over 90 years. The restored Liberty Theatre, also known as the "Astor Building" is one of the Pacific Northwest's best examples of a 1920s vaudeville-motion picture palace.
The "Lightship Columbia" can be seen at the docks of Astoria's Columbia River Maritime Museum, with views of Tongue Point upstream, and the Astoria-Megler Bridge downstream. In 1989 the "Lightship Columbia" was added to the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark #89002463.
The Maritime Memorial is dedicated to the memories of local residents who were involved in the maritime trade, including those members of the U.S. The Pilot Boat Peacock was custom-built in Germany for the Columbia River Bar Pilots in 1964 and was delivered in 1967. According to "Old300.org" website (2013), Astoria's "Old 300" trolley car was built in 1913 by the American Car Company, for use in San Antonio, Texas. The Safeway Store on the corner of 33rd and Marine Drive is the site of the first cannery in Astoria.
Between 1890 and 2002 this location was the Sentry Market, once the oldest family-owned grocery store west of the Rockies.
Looking west at the mouth of the Columbia River, from Coxcomb Hill, location of the Astoria Column.
The building of the Uppertown Firefighter's Museum was originally a brewery for the North Pacific Brewery. The collection is housed in a historic red brick building which was originally constructed in 1896 as part of the popular North Pacific Brewery which closed its doors in 1915 due to prohibition. According to the "wikipedia.org" website (November 2013), Hungarian-born scuptor Peter Wolf Toth has created 74 large wood sculptures ranging in height from 20 to 40 feet, with at least one each in each of the 50 States, as well as Ontario and Manitoba, Canada. The early 1900s was the "Golden Age of Postcards", with the "Penny Postcard" being a popular way to send greetings to family and friends. Penny Postcard, Postmarked 1917, "Waterfront of Astoria, Oregon, showing some of the Salmon Canneries.". Some rain from 10 to 12 last night this morning fair, we Set out at 8 oClock down to the place Capt Lewis pitched on for winter quarters [Fort Clatsop], when he was down proceeded on against the tide at the point No. They informed me that they found the Elk after being lost in the woods for one Day and part of another, the most of the meat was Spoiled, they distance was So great and uncertain and the way bad, they brought only the Skins, york was left behind by Some accident which detained us Some time eer he Came up after passing round the pt. I delayed about half an hour before York Came up, and then proceeded around this Bay which I have taken the liberty of calling Meriwethers Bay [Youngs Bay] the Cristian name of Capt. We set off, the Waves running very high.- Captain Clarks negroe Man servant, not having come up, with the Men whom he had went out with, he waited with his Canoe for him. This morning proved So raney and uncertain that we were undeturmined for Some time whether we had best Set out & risque the [river?] which appeared to be riseing or not. Aster sent fur traders aboard the ship Tonquin to establish a trading post which they named Fort Astoria.
By 1810 he [John Jacob Aster] decided to expand his operations from the Great Lakes region to the rich fur territory of the Northwest, and incorporated the Pacific Fur Company to do so. The partners on board selected a point on the south bank of the river and built a post they called Astoria, where the modern Oregon city of the same name is now located.
On that day, Captain Black went through the customary ceremony of taking possession, not only of Astoria, but of the whole country.
Fort George, the Astoria of the past, consists simply of a blockhouse occupied by only three or four men, whose duty it is to note the arrival of vessels and pilot them. Astor for the purpose of establishing an extensive fur trading business at the mouth of the Columbia river.


Hunt and Ben Woods crossed the plains in 1843, but did not go to Clatsop until 1844, when they built "Hunt's mill".
Between the last two points [Point Adams and Tongue Point] like the rival villages of Upper and Lower Astoria. The bridge replaced the Astoria-Megler Ferry as a vital link in the continuation of Interstate 101.
Kelp was a long-time collector of marine treasures, and with a group of his collegues wanted to establish a museum to preserve the maritime heritage of the Columbia River region.
Canning was discontinued around 1920 and the building served as a central machine shop and warehouse for the Columbia River Packers Association (later called Bumble Bee) until 1980. National Landmark as the longest continuously-operated salmon cannery in the United States.
This location was once the home of the North Shore Ferry system where the ferry to Washington was based before the Astoria - Megler Bridge was built in the 60s. Fort Astoria was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1966 (Site #66000639). The theater was built in 1925, and designed in the Italian Renaissance style by architects John V. Officially known as "WAL-604" (later "WLV-604"), the 128-foot welded-steel lightship was built in 1950 for the U.S. This lightship was the last lightship on the Pacific Coast, until replaced by a bouy, similar to the one on the left.
It has had many names throughout history, including "Meriwethers Point", "Point George", "George Point", "Young's Point", and "Smith's Point".
On exhibit are a horsedrawn ladder wagon, hose carts, a 1912 American LaFrance fire truck, a Stutz fire engine, and a 1946 Mack fire truck. In 1928, the City of Astoria renovated the building for use as the Uppertown Fire Station #2. Lewis who no doubt was the 1st white man who ever Surveyed this Bay, we assended a river [Lewis and Clark River] which falls in on the South Side of this Bay [Youngs Bay] 3 miles to the first point of high land on the West Side, the place Capt. We set off to go to the place appointed for our Winter Quarters [Fort Clatsop] & proceeded down along the Coast. Astor held the majority of stock, and the rest was distributed among partners including Wilson Price Hunt, Duncan McDougal, Donald McKenzie, John Clarke, and others. 2 in verry high swells, we Stopd & Dined in the commencement of a bay, [Youngs Bay] after which proceeded on around the bay to S E. Lewis had viewed and formed in a thick groth of pine about 200 yards from the river [Fort Clatsop], this situation is on a rise about 30 feet higher than the high tides leavel and thickly Covered with lofty pine. The Waves ran so high, that we could not land where they were, and had to turn a point of land [Smith Point, Astoria, Oregon], to make a harbour; the 6 Men joined us at this place.
Except for Astor and Hunt, most of the partners were Canadians who had previously worked for the North West Company. Louis in March 1811, and reached Astoria a year later after a particularly grueling overland journey.
Astoria continued to be known as Fort George for more than 20 years, although the name "Astoria" never quite died out. Raymond came to Clatsop plains, and later in the same year came William Hobson and family, Thomas Owens and familiy, N.
The museum is located along Astoria's historic waterfront and displays one of the most extensive collections of nautical artifacts on the west coast.
The area was developed with small local shops known as the No.10 Sixth Street Building and an observation tower viewing the Columbia was built. It is 44,200 square feet of exhibit space, was designated Oregon's official state maritime museum, and was the first nationally accredited maritime museum in the western United States. The Liberty Theatre was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1984 (Building #84002938).



Boat charters in ocean city maryland zip code
Lake of the ozarks boat rental prices johannesburg