The sister company of Hebridean Contemporary Homes, Dualchas Building Design, has scooped Gold at this year's Roses Design awards in Manchester. Designed by Mary Arnold Forster, this is the second time in two years that Dualchas has walked away triumphant, beating some of the best know names in architecture. The building of the house was filmed for ITV's Dream Homes series which will be shown later in the year. HebHomes director Neil Stephen has welcomed planning permission being granted for a WH202 house near Granton on Spey in the heart of the Cairngorms National Park. A house by Heb Home's sister company Dualchas Building Design has been shortlisted for the prestigious RIAS Awards. The building is an abstracted form of a longhouse, with a larch exterior, enclosed by a stone wall, with an interior of oak walls and Caithness stone floor. A house by Skye architects Dualchas Building Design has been shortlisted for the prestigious RIAS Awards.
One key aspect of the Airigh project is to allow crofters to provide high-quality holiday-lets at a low cost. It is different in the ease of construction - because it is in simple panels which are able to be handled by two people in to place, it is easy to transport and build. A character of the sheiling is that they were often built by people within the community as summer houses and given their own personality by their owners.
HebHomes' sister company Dualchas have been working alongside developer Craigwood Homes to design a group of houses for a fantastic site on the edge of Dingwall in Easter Ross. The site at Craigwood is framed by mature trees and drops down towards the Cromarty Firth giving spectacular views from every plot, south over the lush farmland of the Black Isle. The aim was to design quiet, restrained and dignified houses that do justice to the magnificent site.
The houses share a common language, simple forms low in the ground and traditional in form, siting and massing using a limited and neutral palette of materials. The houses use natural materials with low embodied energy, including sheep's wool insulation and woodfibre sheathing board on an untreated softwood and OSB frame, resulting in a breathable, durable construction. There are five house types ranging in size from a 2-bed longhouse up to a 4-bed L-shaped house with separate open-plan wing for kitchen, dining and living spaces. Speaking at the event, RIAS Secretary Neil Baxter said, “This new home is deceptively simple in form, a calm, contemplative space.
Dualchas Architects, the sister company of HebHomes, have won the coveted Silver Medal at the Saltire Housing Awards. To obtain the free tickets register on our website and make a request or phone our Glasgow office on 0141 550 7360. As well as looking at the development of building technologies in rural Scotland, from stone and turf to SIP panel construction, he will also argue that there has to be as much emphasis on spacial quality as there is on building fabric.
The conference will attract delegates from across rural Scotland, including many community trusts, who will be looking at effective ways of delivering affordable homes to their communities. At 2.30pm on Saturday the 16th company director Neil Stephen will be giving a Masterclass presentation at the show. 4 stunning plots are being marketed near the beautiful west coast Scottish village of Cove near Poolewe. The individual plots are sympathetically sited taking into account the terrain and outlook over Loch Ewe, all the sites have panoramic views to the East and South, whilst enjoying the shelter from the Northwest.
Good & Green expect to develop eco-tourism centres across the globe using the Airigh design as the ideal retreat for this expanding market. This particular design would be ideal as a small letting studio unit or a cheap way to provide ancillary accommodation for your house. Take advantage of our free Pre-Sale Service for those who have Identified a plot , our architects can have a look at the terms of sale, investigating planning consents etc.
The design by Dualchas Architects for the Rural Housing Service Our Island Home competition is now available as a kit from HebHomes.
The multi-award winning house The Shed by Dualchas Architects is now available as a SIP or timber frame kit from HebHomes. Take advantage of our free Pre Sale Service for those who have identified a plot - our architects can have a look at the terms of sale, investigating planning consents etc. We can create a 3D render of your plot and our design of choice, providing an image of your preferred design sited on your potential plot.
The reasons for this are two fold: Firstly, the metal webs allows for services to be run between the floors without the necessity to cut holes through the joists.
The second reason is that it gives our engineer the opportunity to run the joists in the opposite direction, reducing waste and improving the general detailing of the kit. Project architect Daniel Bar said, "I am delighted that this design has been recognised. A recently completed LH502D at Threave near Castle Douglas in Galloway is now available to rent or view. To arrange a consulation with an architect please contact Lynsey on 0141 550 7360 or email. HebHomes are this week delivering our first house to the small Scottish island of Eigg off the south of Skye.
The amended LH102PD SIP house is for local businesspeople who will make this their permanent home. 17 minutes walk to the train station, 60 minutes drive to the airport and 75 minutes drive to Edinburgh, the plot has full planning consent for a house and outbuilding designed by Mary Arnold Forster.
HebHomes is looking to employ an architectural technician or Part 2 architect working in our Glasgow office. The successful applicant will carry out work for both Dualchas Architects and HebHomes. Originally from Lithuania, Anastasija has been studying architecture at Dundee University, and is also a filmmaker and photographer. HebHomes will be attending the annual Homebuilding and Renovating Show at the SECC in Glasgow. Select a home from those shown below–click on the picture for more detailed information. Some rental homes available in our area are owned by private individuals who are not real estate professionals. Joel Ward Homes, Inc., 3115 Village Office Place, Champaign, IL 61822 is a licensed real estate broker in Illinois. Beside the famous mines along the downstream Feather River and the mines on the Yuba in Sierra County, gold was discovered above Graeagle in 1851 by a small group of miners who discovered a rich ledge of exposed gold bearing quartz high on Eureka Peak. During the winter months mining slowed or ceased and miners discovered a new avenue for their energy and winter boredom through a€?long boardinga€? or a€?snowshoeinga€? (todaya€™s skia€™s).
Together with the history of the long boarders and the tramway or ski lift, Plumas Eureka State Park is said to be the home of the worlda€™s first ski hill.
By about 1884, there were enough people in the area to warrant the establishment of voting precincts.
Clio, located a few miles south of Graeagle, became a hub for the timber industry by 1903 when a railroad was established there. Graeagle began as a mill town, being part of a 12,000 acre timber tract acquisition by Arthur Davies from the Sierra Iron Company back in 1916. Arthur Davies built a new sawmill in June of 1916 behind the current Graeagle grocery store (The Graeagle Store). The new mill needed housing for its employees at this new endeavor, so Davies had his company houses in the Sardine Valley transported via the Boca-Loyalton Railroad to Graeagle. With the assorted buildings and other improvements, including a large dairy and a company store, the community started to take form, centering around the mill. The California Fruit Exchange then utilized the lumber facilities to make a multitude of fruit boxes that were needed within the fruit industry in the Sacramento valley. A millpond was created, a box factory built, molding and planing mills erected as well as drying kilns. One of the many buildings still standing in the area is the old a€?dairya€?, a stone building, built in the 1930a€™s, that is situated near the Blairsden bridge on the Feather River, just a short walk or bike ride from downtown Graeagle.


Other structures and buildings in town included a potato shed dug into the hill across from the store, a tall white house across from the dairy that was both a stagecoach stop and hotel, two large three story bunk houses along Gray Eagle Creek, a blacksmith shop and the present day maintenance shop. By this time, there were about 600 workers in the woods and at the mill, including the families.
By the 30a€™s and 40a€™s, some roads began to be paved, and gas or propane began replacing wood stoves in local homes. With the mines shutting down and with World War II, activities slowed down for a short period.
Today, the West family maintain the beautiful town of Graeagle in much the same manner of yesteryear, providing modern services for the community and developing small segments of their holdings.
Several different versions of how Graeagle (pronounced Gray Eagle) got its name have been produced. But more modern day history has it that when the California Fruit Exchange took over, they wanted to change the name of the town from Davies Mill to something else.
A A A  As with all of California, the Graeagle area was initially inhabited by Native Americans. A A A  Beside the famous mines along the downstream Feather River and the mines on the Yuba in Sierra County, gold was discovered above Graeagle in 1851 by a small group of miners who discovered a rich ledge of exposed gold bearing quartz high on Eureka Peak. A A A  During the winter months mining slowed or ceased and miners discovered a new avenue for their energy and winter boredom through a€?long boardinga€? or a€?snowshoeinga€? (todaya€™s skia€™s). A A A  Together with the history of the long boarders and the tramway or ski lift, Plumas Eureka State Park is said to be the home of the worlda€™s first ski hill. A A A  By about 1884, there were enough people in the area to warrant the establishment of voting precincts. A A A  Clio, located a few miles south of Graeagle, became a hub for the timber industry by 1903 when a railroad was established there. A A A  Graeagle began as a mill town, being part of a 12,000 acre timber tract acquisition by Arthur Davies from the Sierra Iron Company back in 1916. A A A  Arthur Davies built a new sawmill in June of 1916 behind the current Graeagle grocery store (The Graeagle Store). A A A  The new mill needed housing for its employees at this new endeavor, so Davies had his company houses in the Sardine Valley transported via the Boca-Loyalton Railroad to Graeagle. A A A  With the assorted buildings and other improvements, including a large dairy and a company store, the community started to take form, centering around the mill. A A A  The California Fruit Exchange then utilized the lumber facilities to make a multitude of fruit boxes that were needed within the fruit industry in the Sacramento valley.
A A A  A millpond was created, a box factory built, molding and planing mills erected as well as drying kilns.
A A A  One of the many buildings still standing in the area is the old a€?dairya€?, a stone building, built in the 1930a€™s, that is situated near the Blairsden bridge on the Feather River, just a short walk or bike ride from downtown Graeagle. A A A  Other structures and buildings in town included a potato shed dug into the hill across from the store, a tall white house across from the dairy that was both a stagecoach stop and hotel, two large three story bunk houses along Gray Eagle Creek, a blacksmith shop and the present day maintenance shop. A A A  By this time, there were about 600 workers in the woods and at the mill, including the families. A A A  By the 30a€™s and 40a€™s, some roads began to be paved, and gas or propane began replacing wood stoves in local homes. A A A  The Graeagle Fire Department sponsored many social events, including a Christmas Gala.
A A A  With the mines shutting down and with World War II, activities slowed down for a short period. A A A  Today, the West family maintain the beautiful town of Graeagle in much the same manner of yesteryear, providing modern services for the community and developing small segments of their holdings. A A A  Several different versions of how Graeagle (pronounced Gray Eagle) got its name have been produced. A A A  But more modern day history has it that when the California Fruit Exchange took over, they wanted to change the name of the town from Davies Mill to something else. The design for a house in Aird of Sleat for Liz and David Singleton was deemed the best residential building in the UK. The two bedroom house in Boreraig, north west Skye, is one of 23 buildings that have been nominated for the award being organised by the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland. It’s particularly amazing given that we are in such difficult times and the commissioning environment has never been tougher. Depending on how they are used, they will have to meet different planning and building regulations - but the Airigh is adaptable to meet each particular purpose - whether a simple starter home, special holiday accommodation, or even a studio or loom shed. A simple building with a wall of glass and a terrace to face the views will work wonderfully well - and could provide an important source of revenue for people in our more remote and beautiful communities. Although the Airigh is a fully-engineered component SIP system, they can be modified and also clad in a variety of materials so that each one is distinctive.
Anything up to a 3 bed house can have a one bedroom airigh without requiring planning consent (so long as rooms on the house are not being let). People had travelled from the south Of England to visit us and were delighted that many new projects in in the pipeline as a result. There may also be opporunities to develop Airigh holiday lets on the croft for a tourism business.
She is now part of a team which includes people from Belgium, Germany, England and Scotland, and brings her own unique talents to the office. Unlike many large rental management companies, we only manage homes which we either own or are owned by a small number of select clients. This spurred a great influx of people into the area above Graeagle, in the present day community of Johnsville and Plumas Eureka State Park.
Today, the Plumas Eureka Ski Club continues the legacy by holding the historic long board races that culminate in the world championships at the old Eureka Ski Hill. The park displays remnants of its history through the preservation of many of the mine buildings left from the period, a rebuilt stamp mill, a blacksmith shop complete with docents, a wonderful museum and one of the areas best campgrounds.
Lumber mills were started in the area at about this period, near Mohawk and later by the present-day Plumas Eureka golf course. By 1917, Clio boasted three mills, the Clio Lumber Company, the McKenzie Mill and the Burkhard and Gracey Mill.
Initially the new plant was cutting about 50,000 board feet of mostly pine lumber per day, but in 1917 a fire destroyed the mill. The homes were sawn in half so that they would fit on the B&L flatcars, then moved by rail to Beckwourth, where they were transferred to NCO trains and carried to Clio.
Fresh milk was delivered daily to the family homes and the cookhouse, which is the present day Knotty Pine Tavern.This building also housed a pool table, barbershop, an upstairs beauty parlor and an adjoining ice cream parlor.
Story goes that the store fire happened as a result of a cover up for shortages in the payroll by one of the time keepers.
The maintenance shop was built to accommodate locomotives, with a railway running in one door and out the other.
Electric stoves appeared in the early 1940a€™s and radios began keeping the populace abreast on outside issues and for entertainment. They were the group that provided for the boxing arena and prizefights that were held twice monthly, giving locals summer entertainment. Teams from all over Northern California, even from as far away as Salt Lake City, came to Graeagle to play the national pastime.
After the war, the mill continued but in 1951 the millpond was washed out and in 1954 the cookhouse shut down for good because it was losing too much money.
To commemorate this event, the mill whistle blew for five solid minutes signifying that the last log had gone through the band mill.
The downtown perimeter of Graeagle has been preserved with its historic charm of an earlier period of Plumas County history. This building crouches under an escarment and in many ways is closer to the old blackhouse than many of our other designs.
The idea is that they not only make a small imprint on the landscape due to their point foundations (minimising earth works and costs), they blend in. To keep the building low it consists of three separate elements: living, bedrooms and studio.


Thirty six mines formed the Eureka Company, 76 the Washington Company and about 40 miners claimed the Rough and Ready.
The park itself is a popular place to visit in the summer months for hiking, biking, backpacking, fishing, interpretive programs and history tours. From this point, a combination of horses, wagons and vehicles moved the assorted buildings to Graeagle.
It was at this point that the California Fruit Exchange of Sacramento came into the picture and offered Davies $1 million for his holdings, which by the time the deal closed had risen to $1.25 million for the Davies mill complex.
A dance hall (the Graeagle Restaurant) and movie theater completed the offerings, along with a filling station, at the same location of the present day Chevron station. Grades 1-8 were taught in the two room school, with high school being located over in Portola. One of the bunk houses burned to the ground in the 60a€™s and the other was dismantled by Tom Maher of Gold Lake and is now the Gold Lake Store. Slot machines were leased from Harry Jones in Portola and these provided for most of the profits for these events. Baseball and boxing were the favorite summer activities and in September the California Fruit Exchange sent three or four carloads of grapes to Graeagle. Relatively speaking the wages earned per day by a mill worker could pay the monthly rent in only one day. Another economic reality was that the availability of marketable logs was disappearing nearby. With huge stacks of cut lumber remaining, the planing mill continued until May of 1957 when lumber activity in the Mohawk Valley shut down.
Baker came to the area in 1856 on horseback stumping for the election of the famous explorer John C.
This reduces the risks of delays due to adverse weather conditions, avoids the plot becoming a building site and minimises on-site waste. The California Gold Rush of 1848-49 also lured lots of miners into the surrounding hills searching for gold.
The miners soon learned to use this motorized lift to transport themselves during the winter time for these longboard races. In the wintertime, cross country skiing and snowshoeing are enjoyed along with the monthly longboard races.
89 near Dog Valley and Stampede Reservoir) as well as a sawmill in Delleker, just outside of present day Portola.
To this day, one can still see visible signs of the joining on the red houses that adorn the main street. And with over half of the towna€™s population being single, each and every a€?school marma€? was courted regularly , got married and evidently they didna€™t stay on to teach for very long. But by mid-summer of 1923, the Graeagle store and the Knotty Pine Tavern were rebuilt and were reopened. There were orchestras out of Reno, door prizes donated by local merchants and a large supper was served at midnight.
It was such a big event that when it arrived, the mill whistle would blow and everyone gathered to receive a share of the grapes. And, cardboard boxes started replacing wooden boxes for the transport of fruit and vegetables nationwide. The mills equipment was auctioned off as two hundred buyers from all over the western states came in late May of 1957 to buy the sawmill, box factory and planing mill equipment. Then, farming families followed and they too migrated into the Mohawk Valley, the Sierra Valley and other areas of California. The miners started above Eureka Lake and traveled about 1700 feet downhill, at speeds up to 80 miles per hour on homemade skis up to 12 ft. Other dwellings also came from the Clairville and Delleker areas by placing giant logs under each to act as a skid and then they were methodically moved by either horse teams or Mack trucks to Graeagle. A steam line that ran across the highway serviced the large red houses on the hill (across from the current grocery store). A large dedication ball was thrown with nearly 500 people attending, supposedly the largest to that date gathering of guests and visitors in the county. The women shared long hours too, keeping domestic duties such as cooking on woodstoves, washing the family clothes on washboards and other manual chores of the day. Besides the Christmas Gala, the Graeagle Fire Department also managed monthly Saturday night dances that became known as the Firemana€™s Ball.
Fremonta€™s nickname was the Gray Eagle of Republicanism and therefore the name, Gray Eagle. Arthur Davies, was looking outside when she saw the sign designating a€?Gray Eagle Creeka€? and she came up with the idea to merely drop the a€?ya€? out of gray and make it into one word. Ranches were established as the meadows were ideal for raising beef and dairy cattle, providing hay for feed.
About 1872, the town of Johnsville came into existence, it being more of a business and family oriented community. Picnics and family dinners were additional community events, along with an occasional silent movie. An additional bonus that the California Fruit Exchange did was provide every family with a free turkey at Christmas time and free turkey dinners were provided for the bachelors at Thanksgiving and at Christmas time. Another version is that a local Indian Chief, named Grayeagle, once resided here and thus the name. Thus the new name a€?Graeaglea€? won the contest and gave the community the name that it enjoys to this day. The plentitude of fertile soils in the area provided for the growing of wheat, potatoes, and other vegetables. Johnsville, adjacent to Plumas Eureka State Park, is still a small mountain community with one restaurant, The Iron Door and many historic looking buildings. People came from all around for these competitions and prize money sometimes was as much as $250, a vast sum in those days.
In essence, the town was deserted, all the other houses became vacant and abandoned, In 1959, Harvey West Sr., offered California Fruit Exchange $450,000 for the remaining property, which was 10,482 acres of timberland, town, farm and meadowland.
A British company, calling themselves Sierra Buttes Mining Company entered the picture and consolidated all of the mines on Eureka Peak. Bringing in new technology of the day this mine improved profits and continued through mining cycles until the turn of the 20th century.
It was called a€?dopea€?, a closely guarded concoction of pine tar, herbal additives and so many variations that remain a mystery to this day. Another mining venture, the Jamison Mine started in 1897 and continued to prosper until 1917.
The downhill combatants used only their grit, determination and a single wooden pole to balance, steer and eventually stop with. Little by little, these mines diminished with boom and bust times when by 1943 mining essentially halted. By then $25 million was extracted and 65 miles of tunnels were carved out of the hills of Eureka Peak.
With paved highways spreading throughout the west, the accessibility factor once a hindrance was fast becoming an asset. The early 1960a€™s saw great advancement in highways, freeways and ownership by average people of automobiles.
So, Harvey West and sons formed the Graeagle Land and Water Company to manage their properties.



Outdoor storage sheds dfw xtreme
Garden shed john lewis jobs


Comments to «Shed homes for rent zillow»

  1. NicaTin on 15.08.2014 at 12:58:47
    Constructing division and check on the laws relating to the eliminate the need for.
  2. Puma on 15.08.2014 at 20:28:29
    With small balcony on each room, but am planning not to put roof warmth.