Lionel Trains Westchester Avenue White Plains NY,o scale figures uk newspapers,dinosaur train set and train table - Reviews

admin 20.01.2015

The company that's been around since 1900 is emerging from the collectors realm and chugging full steam ahead into a retail presence of its own. Lionel CEO Jerry Calabrese told AOL Jobs that the ultimate plan is for Lionel trains to provide the same kind of retail adventure experience for boys that American Girl provides for little girls, complete with themed displays, entertainment, dining, the works.
The campaign started around 2005, with Lionel trains being displayed prominently in certain department stores during the Christmas season. If you're looking for seasonal work, have sales experience, love trains and live near any of these locations, there are still a limited number of jobs available. But the prospect that really excites train lovers, from both work and play perspectives, is the advent of the big, destination Lionel train stores. Forgotten NY was the first recipient of the Outstanding NYC Website award by the Guides Association of NYC in March 2015! Forgotten New York is a program of the Greater Astoria Historical Society, a non-profit organization supported by the Long Island City community.
Westchester Avenue is a very old road; according to the late great Bronx historian John McNamara in History in Asphalt, it was first traced in the colonial era as a path from the Morris family estate to the town of Westchester, whose seat is now called Westchester Square (see below). Westchester Avenue was graded from Coles’ Boston Road (now Third Avenue) to the town of Westchester in 1867, when it was known as the Southern Westchester Turnpike (to differentiate it from Westchester Turnpike proper, now followed in great part by US Route 1). I’m covering Westchester Avenue sort of in reverse, walking its eastern section from Hugh Grant Circle (where it meets White Plains Road and the Cross Bronx expressway) east and northeast to Pelham Bay Park. Hugh Grant Circle skirts the southwestern edge of Parkchester, a housing project constructed in 1942 by the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. At Grant Circle and the Cross Bronx Expressway is the monolithically Deco Emigrant Savings Bank, originally Dollar Savings Bank.
Note the symbol above the door: it depicts the Morgan Silver Dollar, minted between 1878 and 1904 and again briefly in 1921. Though the Parks Department promotes Hugh Grant Circle as a park on its online listing, this is really the only green part of the circle; most of it is taken up by the cavernous concrete elevated Parkchester station of the IRT #6 (Lexington Avenue line). Westchester Avenue, looking east from the Cross Bronx Expressway Parkchester is one of 3 concrete-clad el stations on the #6 el between Whitlock Avenue and Pelham Bay Park. Circle Theater, a couple of doors down from the old Dollar Savings Bank, is now a Lucille Roberts salon of sweat. The Cross Bronx Expressway was one of transit czar Robert Moses’ most difficult and controversial projects.
Though residential opposition failed to dissuade Moses from his original route fro the Cross Bronx, it was successful in getting him to reroute the Brooklyn Queens Expressway in the mid-1950s from a path that would have bisected Brooklyn Heights to a more workable waterfront route, and in the mid-1960s, the Lower Manhattan Expressway that would have run across Tribeca was finally cancelled in 1972. Rumor has it that there used to be a bowling alley in the basement, but I can’t find any remnant of it down there. Crossroads Tabernacle, Castle Hill Avenue between Westchester and Lyon Avenues, was once the RKO Castle Hill Theatre, as architectural elements illustrate. According to the comments, Jerry Lewis, the Three Stooges and DJ Clay Cole of the American Bandstand-ish Clay Cole Show (1962-68) all appeared at the Castle Hill. The Fab Four somehow missed the Castle Hill Theatre during their NYC visits, but they’re making their umpteenth comeback with a video game in the fall of 2009.
Westchester Square was originally the town center of Westchester and was in Westchester County. Nearby, the Owen Dolan Recreation Center recalls an area educator who spoke at a dedication of a World War I memorial. Just before Westchester Avenue crosses Westchester Creek and the Hutchinson River Parkway, it forms another triangle with East Tremont Avenue. After crossing the creek Westchester Avenue enters Middletown, so named perhaps because it was midway from the village of Westchester to the Pelham Bridge.
A couple of typical-for-this-part-of-town houses, and an almost preternaturally smooth-exteriored office building at Mulford Avenue. Middletown veterans are listed in alphabetical order on this war memorial at Westchester, Hobart and Buhre Avenues. Unusually, the corner of Hobart and Westchester was named for its honoree while he was still alive. In the Roaring Twenties, Pelham Bay was far from the heavily populated, suburban neighborhood it is today.
His deputy chief of staff Bret Nolan Collazzi wrote me: [The] honorary street sign refers to the elder Ralph Balsamo, former owner of the funeral home and (to Jimmyis knowledge) not a suspected criminal figure.
Both the el and Westchester Avenue take a number of twists and turns approaching Pelham Bay Park including here at Wilkinson Avenue. These orange fire alarm lamps are being attritted out in favor of the red cylinder seen at the top of the luminaire. Rich in history, evidence shows that Hartsdale played a significant role during the Revolutionary War. Not only will Lionel be hiring store employees, but it's bringing product manufacturing back home to the states as well. He says they will be places where parents can bond with their children over something they both love. Last year, Lionel set up an independent, seasonal, brick-and-mortar location in Rockefeller Center in New York City. They're currently attempting to bring their manufacturing back into the states from overseas, so it looks like more skilled manufacturing jobs could be on the way. Until 1874 all of the Bronx was floated in Westchester County; it became part of NYC in sections, with most of the Bronx west of the Bronx River annexed that year, east of the Bronx River in 1895 (City Island the following year).
Sometime before the turn of the century, as the area gradually urbanized, the name was changed to Westchester Avenue.
Dollar originated in 1892, acquired Dry Dock savings Bank in 1983 to form Dollar Dry Dock, and was acquired by Emigrant Savings in 1995.


Underneath the el, there’s a newsstand (that hides its handsome handlettered sign off to the side) and parking for MTA vehicles. This was the end of the line for a few months in 1920; as el construction pushed east, the final station, Pelham Bay Park, opened December 10 of that year. The IRT White Plains road el serving #2 and #5 lines runs along the avenue between Third Avenue and Southern Boulevard, and the IRT Pelham Line serving the #6 line joins it at Whitlock Avenue and runs all the way out to Pelham Bay Park. When Donald Gilligan first shot the Circle in 1999 for a FNY page, some of its old facade was still intact. Constructing the expressway required blasting through ridges, crossing valleys and redirecting rivers, while causing minimal disruption to the apartment buildings that topped the ridges in the area of Grand Concourse. Specifically, 159 apartment buildings would have to be demolished, displacing 1,530 families.
McNamara is silent on the origin of this name, though it may have to do with its location on the west bank of Westchester Creek.
Helena on Olmstead Avenue likely took over this nearly windowless wood structure: could it have been a granary or storeroom of some kind? The Westchester Square Plumbing Supply was a pet store in the 1930-1940 range that sold pigeons according to my father. According to Cinematreasures comments, it was constructed in 1927 by architect William Shary.
Peter’s Episcopal Church was built in 1856 by Leopold Eidlitz when this was an isolated country village along the South Westchester Turnpike, and then rebuilt by the architect’s son, Cyrus, after a fire in 1877.
It is one of the oldest in the brough; since 1969 it has presented productions such as Cabaret, Damn Yankees and Hair. Peter’s, the Civil War-era Thomas Bible Funeral Home was replaced recently by a flock of Fedders-style multifamily buildings. Most acid rain in New York comes from coal fired electric power plants in the Ohio River valley. A ramp leads from the Pelham el to the massive Westchester Yards, where trains plying the #6 are serviced. Here you will find a large painted sign advertising a tattoo parlor, a rusted lamppost classic from 1954 and a Little League field. The adjoining Stinardtown, just to Middletown’s northeast, was wiped out when Pelham Bay Park was created in the mid-1800s. The Print-Well Press sign is at least a few decades old but still does the job after all these years with black on yellow type. The fare control areas of a number of el stations preserve the wood planking on the floors. The latter were inspired by land donated to the city by Isaac Leopold Rice (1850-1915), chess champion and president of the Electric Storage Battery Company; his wife Julia was organizer of the Society for the Suppression of Unnecessary Noise, which successfully elicited the support of Mark Twain. Michael Crescenzo Triangle was named for the president of the Pelham Bay Taxpayers and Civic Association in 1993; he passed away at age 91 in 2008. While Morris Park Avenue runs through its titular neighborhood, there used to be a second section that ran for a few blocks in the Pelham Bay-Middletown area. Indeed, the Bronx itself had only recently seceded from Westchester County and become part of New York City. 23, 2006] is Ralph Balsamo, a Genovese soldier known as the Undertaker because his day job was running a Bronx funeral parlor where the crime family was said to have held many meetings, prosecutors said. The street naming predates Jimmyis time in the Council (and the sonis indictment) by 15 to 20 years.
Among the feaures located therein are the 1933 Bronx Victory Column, Glover’s Rock, Split Rock, the Thomas Pell Wildlife Sanctuary and the Pell Mansion.
Plans were filed yesterday to erect a seven-story apartment building at 917 Westchester Avenue and a six-story one at 940 Rogers Place, around the corner from the Intervale Avenue stop on the 2 and 5 trains.The two buildings would grow on either side of a block bounded by the tracks, which run along Westchester Avenue and East 165th Street.
Chock full of shopping centers, business districts and a diverse population, this classic suburban community is only 21 miles north of Manhattan. Nearby highways include the Bronx River Parkway and Sprain Parkway, which provide easy access to all of Westchester County and nearby New York City. On October 28, 1776, a Revolutionary War battle was fought alongside the Bronx River, near the site of the current Hartsdale train station. Residents have many options, including the 170-acre Ridge Road Park, the 86-acre East and West Rumbrook Park and the 25-acre Secor Woods Park. Central Avenue is lined with boutiques, well-known shops such as Best Buy, Marshalls and TJ Maxx, as well as supermarkets, restaurants and specialty stores.
This holiday season it's a little easier to find both, thanks to Lionel, the toy train manufacturer that makes your dad, and even your granddad, wax nostalgic.
The whole territory became the Borough of the Bronx when Greater New York was created in 1898, and finally, the Bronx became a county on its own in 1914. While the tall seven and twelve-story buildings appear somewhat monolithic when viewed from afar, a walk around the complex reveals the friendly face Parkchester presents: its generous employment of colorful, playful terra-cotta statues and sculpture.
This ought to be the transit gateway to the eastern Bronx; in my opinion, the MTA is missing the boat by not spiffing it up and constructing an inviting plaza here.
When the Cross Bronx Expressway was built in the mid-1950s, the pillars were extended deeper on concrete stanchions. Two short stretches of Westchester Avenue see daylight: between Third and Brook Avenue and again between Southern Boulevard and Whitlock Avenue, a grand total of about 7 blocks. Furthermore, the expressway had to cross 113 streets, seven expressways and parkways (either completed or under construction), one subway line, five elevated lines, three commuter rail lines, and hundreds of utility, water and sewer lines.
An alternative route was available in the area of Crotona Park that would have reduced the number of families that would have to be displaced. Unionport Road still runs as a main route from adjoining Castle Hill through Parkchester to Bronx Park.


My business, Varsity Army & Navy has been in this building since 1938 on the Castle Hill side. The old sign that you saw in Westchester Square behind the fence that reads FM Weiss  [see below] only became visible this past winter after a terrible fire that resulted in the entire building being demolished.
Though it only does three plays a year, it has been forced to stage a fund drive in 2009; response has been positive. Strangely enough when the area was settled by the Dutch in the early 1600s it was called Oostdorp, or East Village — east of New Amsterdam.
Beyond the yards in the distance is the Bronx’ Hospital Row along Williamsbridge Road, where you will find Montefiore and Calvary Hospitals. Until the mid-1980s all Bronx street signs were blue and white like this, but they were changed to green and white due to regulations changes from the federal government. Farmland covered much of what we now know as Mulford, Mayflower, Pilgrim and Wilkinson Avenues.
I know it probably looks strange now to those who are familiar with allegations against the son, but the father was a longtime figure in the community and itis common to honor merchants who have such a big impact on so many people. There is an express bus line from White Plains to Manhattan which passes through Hartsdale on Central Avenue. The Odell House (on Ridge Road, built in 1732) served as the headquarters for the French General the Comte de Rochambeau, and is where the Comte and George Washington are supposed to have formed an alliance in the Battle of Yorktown. The facilities include nineteen tennis courts and seven pools at the Anthony F.Veteran Park in nearby Ardsley. The dollars were minted at Philadelphia, New Orleans, Carson City, NV, Denver and San Francisco. The station was originally known as East 177th Street, a wide boulevard replaced by the Cross Bronx. None of these lifelines could be disrupted during construction of the Cross Bronx Expressway. Moses rejected the alternative plan, despite its support from the East Tremont Neighborhood Association. Castle Hill was named for a slight elevation noticed by 17th-Century Dutch explorer Adrian Block, who thought it resembled a castle. There are some great old houses on all the side streets along Westchester Ave from Castle Hill to Westchester Square including two old wooden schoolhouses from the 1800′s (see building marked St. Peter’s has existed as a parish since 1693 and is the third church to exist on this site.
I didn’t find any quite that old but there are several from the 1700s remaining here. From 1860 to 1880, gravestones tended to be square, massive marble stones of elaborate shapes or with decorative, ornate sculptures. When the British took command it was situated west of the New England colonies and so became Westchester. Where now prominently stands 1950 Hutchinson River Parkway was a water-logged swamp with a meadow and dirt road running through it.
There would also be a shared terrace on the second floor and a kitchen and meeting rooms for the church in the cellar. Tall apartment buildings line East Hartsdale Avenue, all walking distance to the train station. For commuters who prefer using the train, Hartsdale’s station has a riding time of 32 minutes to Grand Central Station during rush hour. The house was later named after John Odell, Washington's guide who bought the house in 1785. The elementary schools even offer instruction in foreign languages, as well as a gifted student program. Residents can also enjoy indoor swimming at Fairview-Greenburgh Community Center in White Plains.
An example is the granite Cleopatra’s Needle in Central Park that has suffered greatly in the 150 years in New York compared to the 3500 years in Egypt. It was the site of a Revolutionary War battle in which patriots held off attacking British, allowing General Washington to maneuver a strategic retreat. The apartments would be spread across 36,614 square feet of residential space, for average units measuring 814 square feet.Across the street at 940 Rogers Place, a six-story building would hold 38 apartments and 29,516 square feet of residential space. If a coop, condo or apartment rental is not suitable, the area is also characterized by numerous single-family homes. In 1965, his descendants deeded the house to the Sons of the American Revolution, and today the house is a museum.
There is still evidence of the concrete patio that used to have tables and chairs in the back. Peter’s Parish House, now no longer standing, actually served very briefly as New York State Capitol in the 1790s when a plague forced lawmakers away from lower Manhattan (Albany was named state capitol in 1797).
A chicken market occupied the area where Mulford Avenue meets Wilkinson Avenue and the area between Pilgrim Avenue and Mayflower Avenue hosted goat farms. New York Times, February 24, 2006 And later… A co-defendant, Ralph Balsamo, who was the head of the Hunts Point crime gang and a member of the Genovese crime family, had earlier pleaded guilty to enterprise corruption. Foster Hall, facing Westchester Avenue in the cemetery, was built by Leopold Eidlitz in 1868 and is currently used as a community theater.
In order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the page.



Whats on new york city december 2013
Ho scale potato house bray
  • BEDBIN, 20.01.2015 at 13:55:38
    Look adjustments from toy to toy and North Coast colors.
  • FULL_GIRL, 20.01.2015 at 11:50:46
    The former designer confessed have been offered permission to drive all day layouts can.
  • Aviator, 20.01.2015 at 18:45:47
    Right here Bachmann was quality and finish of today's models which is extremely the.
  • Lady_Neftchi, 20.01.2015 at 15:15:55
    Say hundreds of trains and train are.