Train from greensboro to new york city,audi cars model with price,g scale 260 - .

admin 02.05.2014

Eisenhower Avenue (WMATA station), and check out Eisenhower Avenue (WMATA station) on Wikipedia, Youtube, Google News, Google Books, and Twitter on Digplanet. We hope that you will enjoy learning more about Greensboro's most treasured places and other preservation issues in the Gate City at our new site! Hillside is a grand home in Fisher Park built by Julian Price that has been recognized by the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Officer to be of statewide significance.
In Greensboro, Price took a position in 1903 a representative of the American Tobacco Company, though he was more intrigued by the insurance business where he found a position by 1905. Other business interests included a majority stake in the Greensboro Record, one of the city’s two leading newspapers. Price sought to build the corporate tower for Jefferson Standard (image, right) as the highest building between Washington and Atlanta because he recognized the manner in which the public sought “to identify their financial institutions with impressive buildings that inspire confidence.” Pragmatically, he wanted all employees of his growing company in one building instead of being scattered in a half a dozen buildings all over Greensboro. In addition to his company’s headquarters, Price selected Hartmann to design the Price family home, named “Hillside.” Located on a bluff overlooking the western lobe of Fisher Park in Greensboro, the sprawling 1929 residence (image, right) is an example of Period Revival architecture, specifically designed to evoke a rambling English Tudor home.
Price was recognized as a prominent member of the Catholic faith in North Carolina at a time that Catholicism was modest in relation to protestant worshippers. Price died as a result of injuries sustained in an automobile accident while travelling to his mountain retreat near Blowing Rock. A nationally recognized construction company with over $2 billion in construction currently underway, with experience in 38 states, and countless awards under its belt is planning to restore Greensboro’s historic Cascade Saloon to house its regional office.
The Christman Company is a fully management-owned general contractor that is nationally recognized for its work in historic preservation. The Cascade Saloon was constructed in 1896 on South Elm Street between the North Carolina Railroad tracks to the north, and a spur of the Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railway to the south. The structure was included on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, and it was recognized as a Guilford County Landmark in 2005.
Through this partnership with Christman, Greensboro is taking a path that is both historically respectful and fiscally prudent. Architect Christopher Gadsden Sayre of Anderson, South Carolina designed the house with two prominent facades. Advanced PGI Member Tickets are $15 each and a member may purchase as many as they would like at that price.
Group Tickets (minimum of 10 people) are $15 each and may be purchased at Blandwood or by phone with a credit card at 336-272-5003 x3. Day-Of Tour Tickets are $25 for all and can be purchased with cash or check at any of the houses on the tour. Among the homes of Hamilton Lakes, the Howard House at 3905 Henderson Road stands as an eye-catching example of Mid-Century Modernism. Will Howard was a native of Charlotte, where his father established a construction company under his own name, the Paul Howard Construction company. After graduating from State, Hayes worked with other established architects including Raleigh’s William Deitrick and Greensboro’s Edward Loewenstein, before initiating his own practice in 1952. Hayes designed the Howard home in 1955 and broke from the traditional lines established in Hamilton Lakes a generation earlier that reflected Colonial and European design inspirations.
Rear Admiral Archibald Henderson Scales (1868-1952) was the son of Junius Irving and Euphemia Hamilton Henderson Scales.
Scales rose in rank to command the USS  Severn and then the USS Columbia, and in 1907, as a lieutenant commander on the USS Missouri. After the war, and until February 1919, Scales commanded the Great Lakes Training Station, where he was elevated to the post of superintendent of the Naval Academy. Ranch style homes first appeared in subdivisions of Southern California in the mid-1930s, and their popularity was boosted by their convenient one-level form which qualified for Federal Housing Administration financing. Homebuyers quickly embraced the house form that featured an open living room with generous access through a dining area to a convenient kitchen. Over the course of the past 60 years, many Ranch-style homes have been modified to suit homeowner’s needs, including expanded families with an increasing appetite for space.
The Barrickman House features a large private yard with courtyard filled with eclectic art.Today, the home is owned by Dori and Paul Jalazo.
Harry Barton (1876-1937) designed and occupied this eye-catching Mediterranean house with his wife Rachel (1875-1957).
By 1918 he led the architecture committee for the new neoclassical Guilford County Courthouse on West Market Street. For his own residence constructed in 1927 in the new suburb of Hamilton Lakes, Barton selected an exotic Spanish Colonial theme.
At its 49th Annual Meeting, Preservation Greensboro board, members, and guests celebrated re-investment in the Gate City. The Coltrane-Gray House at 316 Murray Street in Southside is quite unusual in that it is accentuated by “Milk Quartz”.
The house was in very poor condition and vulnerable to destruction when it was acquired by Cheryl and Tracy Pratt, a team well known in preservation circles having completed a magnificent restoration of a bungalow in Fisher Park. Standing prominently on its hilltop lot, the Pitts House at 114 West Bessemer Avenue in Fisher Park is a great example of Colonial Revival architecture.
Sheila Sanders and Craig VanDeventer made their decision to purchase the Pitts House after only one visit! This proud Philadelphia-style Colonial style house in College Hill has always been eye-catching, but little was known about its history until the recent restoration undertaken by Amanda and James Keith. By the time the Keith’s found the house, it was used as a rental facility for a women’s volleyball team.
Not too many months ago, preservationists were troubled that Irving Park’s oldest home could be knocked down for new construction. Fortunately, the home caught the eye of Katie and Brian Bode, who fell in love with its generous floor plan and intriguing architectural history.
Greensboro is a city that appreciates its past, and that sense of history is well demonstrated in the story of the King's Chair.
On April 14th last year, the charming bungalow at 703 Fifth Avenue in the Aycock District sustained damage from a fire.
Fortunately, the home that was acquired by Pam Frye, our veteran general contractor that you met earlier this evening!
Angela and Tyree Dillard were the first people to call this two-story Colonial Revival home at 1012 North Eugene Street in Fisher Park their home.
The building was acquired in 2013 by City Council member Nancy Hoffmann who restored the building for a mix of uses including apartments on the upper floors and room for the iconic Scuppernong Books on the ground floor.
Constructed in 1918, the handsome Dutch Colonial home at 606 Simpson Street in Fisher Park needed a comprehensive makeover when Peggy McGinty purchased the property.
The unusual home with brick first floor and gambrel roofed second floor was first occupied by Mary and Edward Michaels.
Preservation Greensboro’s members and guests had the opportunity to recognize three individuals for their volunteer work with the organization. The Blandwood Volunteer of the Year was awarded to New Garden Select for their contribution of time and expertise in restoring the grounds of Blandwood and making the National Historic Landmark site the greenest patch of ground in downtown Greensboro. Pediatric Dentists - The Greensboro Center for Pediatric Dentistry in Greensboro, North Carolina serving infants, children, teens and special needs patients.
This page was kept as a redirect to avoid breaking links, both internal and external, that may have been made to the old page name.
He held a role as president of the Atlantic and Yadkin Railway, a short line railroad within North Carolina from 1899 to 1950. He was a thirty-third degree Mason, an honorary member of the Patriotic Order Sons of America, and a life member of the Elks and the Sons of Confederate Knights. He was one of the charter members of the Business Foundation at the University of North Carolina. Hartmann accepted the offer and spent the rest of his life in Greensboro designing notable buildings throughout North Carolina.
The facade features rough stucco, herringbone brick, and false-half-timbered walls, massive brick chimneys with articulated flues and clay pots, and an asymmetrical massing that features gables, wall dormers, and a stair tower. Kathleen Price Bryan Edwards, a granddaughter of Julian Price, remembers an incident that reveals the personality of her grandfather. In memory of their father, his children established a professorship in life insurance at The University of North Carolina; funded with an original endowment of $80,000, it was increased in value to $500,000 in the 1970s. As stated in the North Carolina General Assembly General Statutes, properties of this level of importance may be denied demolition or destruction.
The architect of the building is unknown, but it is clearly part of a family of Elm Street buildings designed by the same hand that share granite window sills and lintels, as well as patterned brickwork, and elaborate cornices. Weaver and his wife Ida were African-American, and the couple operated the cafe at a time when Jim Crow Laws sought to segregate African-Americans apart from white-owned businesses.
South Elm Street enjoyed a revival as investors and preservationists have restored shopfronts for artists, restaurants, and antique dealers. The adjacent North Carolina Railroad claims a right-of-way that includes a number of important buildings in downtown Greensboro including the Cascade Saloon. The city is enjoying reinvestment in a key landmark building, and it will enjoy the construction jobs, the property tax revenue, and the salaried positions that come with this project, says Benjamin Briggs, Executive Director of Preservation Greensboro. The house was likely the first built in the town of Hamilton Lakes, which featured curving streets punctuated by Lake Hamilton and Lake Euphemia.


The West facade faces Lakewood Drive and features an impressive two-story portico with a classical entry. Zuber & Cie is thought to be the last factory in the world to produce woodblock printed wallpapers and furnishing fabrics. As a pragmatic course of action, they moved into Tar Haven, the home across the lake occupied by Scale’s brother.
He was not charged with any overt acts, but was indicted under the provisions of the Smith Act as a member of an organization which advocated violence.
Member tickets are available at Blandwood, 447 Washington Street in downtown Greensboro or by phone with a credit card at 336-272-5003 x3. Built for Diane (1929-2009) and Will (1927-1996) Howard in 1955, the house has been substantially reconstructed in 2014-15 in order to address long-term challenges related to materials, drainage, and sustainability. One of three sons, Will and his brother Paul “Pug” Howard operated the Greensboro branch of the company, which specialized in civil construction including road and runway projects across the globe.
Hayes was a graduate of North Carolina State University, where he received a degree in architectural engineering in 1949 and a degree in architecture in 1951. Their home featured a flat roofline and solid wood and brick exterior walls that alternated with voids of glass. The couple found the original plans for the house and retained Martin Felsen and Sarah Dunn of UrbanLab of Chicago for reconstruction, and consulted with Brent Skelton of Greensboro for the landscape design. He was born in Greensboro, the nephew of Governor Alfred Moore Scales and the great-grandson of Chief Justice Leonard Henderson.
As a captain, he commanded the USS Delaware that saw action in the North Sea as part of the British Grand Fleet during World War I.
Constructed around 1926, the three-level brick home features a symmetrical facade mimicking Early American homes of the Chesapeake region.
The couple financed their home through Starmount Builders, indicating the home might have been built through that company. The 3,020 square foot house is identified through its one-story form with a low-pitched roof featuring no dormers.
Plans for Ranch-style homes were shown in leading shelter magazines of the day such as House Beautiful and House and Garden. In turn, the kitchen was located adjacent to the garage for an increasingly car-oriented market. The Barrickman House is an excellent example of this popular trend as interior spaces have been expanded. This special event will have live jazz music, hors d'oeuvres, wine, beer and a Silent Auction benefiting Preservation Greensboro. With help from the Keynote Speaker the North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper, attendees recognized those who see that some of the most challenging properties are in fact some of the most treasured places. Milk quartz is found here in Guilford County, and is characterized by a durable glazed texture and an opaque appearance. The Coltrane-Gray house is the couple’s first speculative project in which they have corrected structural issues, updated mechanical systems, added a new kitchen and bathrooms, improved the floor plan, and refinished surfaces.
Located at 303 South Mendenhall Street, the Keith’s discovered their home was built by a woman named Effie Anderson. The house featured patched-in wiring, window air-condition units, and a compromised structural system.
Frye had her crew remove the aluminum siding and opened up an original side porch that long ago had been enclosed to make a closet, thus restoring the home’s original architectural integrity. The McAdoo-Sanders-Tatum House at 303 Wentworth was caught up in a defaulted mortgage and the corporate owner of the property did not necessarily hold history in its list of interests. The Bodies have discovered that theirs is a house with a mysterious past!  In spite of the work of several researchers, including myself, we cannot determine a clear date of construction!
The chair was constructed in the backyard of the home of master stone mason Andrew Leopold Schlosser, a native of Slovakia who moved to Greensboro in 1899.
The mid-day blaze was focus to the rear of the structure, but smoke and water damage occurred throughout the house. Frye restored the house that was first occupied by Katie and Robert Denny in 1920 by upgrading the mechanicals, kitchens and baths, and repairing all traces of damage.
Tyree Dillard was travelling salesman when the couple moved into the fine frame house with weatherboard siding in 1923.
Six months of construction was needed to reconstruct the kitchen and back porch, and to bring the house into the twenty-first century.  Notable features were retained using North Carolina’s Historic Preservation Tax credits, including several the original flip-down windows that open an upstairs bedroom to the fresh air of the outside!
The street level has remained well-preserved and still exhibits its original cast iron columns and glass transom. Peggy is no stranger to us, she received an award in 2012 from us for restoring a bungalow in the Aycock neighborhood, and we are glad she has come back!
Jon Enos, former Architectural Salvage of Greensboro Co-Chair, received a “Volunteer of the Decade” Award.
Daniel began volunteering with the organization in the 1980s, and she soon rose to President of the organization, a position she held 1988 and 1989. It was with the railroad in which he found his first employment in cutting firewood for use by wood-burning locomotives.
When Greensboro Life joined with Jefferson Standard in 1912, Price was elected vice-president and agency manager. McLean (1924-1928) selected Price to head the North Carolina Salary and Wage Commission, which was instrumental in developing a fair system of employment and pay for state employees. It ran from Mount Airy southeast through Greensboro to Sanford, primarily serving the central Piedmont region. He was a commander of the Knights Templar and a member of the Southern Society of New York – a charitable and social organization. The Foundation worked through the university to aid and promote research and education related to business interests across the Old North State.
The insurance company occupied only five floors in the tower the rest was leased to doctors, dentists, lawyers, insurance agents, various clubs, and contractors. The landscape is equally detailed, containing low stone retaining walls, serpentine flagstone walkways, and mature evergreen trees. During World War II, Guilford County did not allow use of alcoholic beverages, and this was disappointing to local Air Force base personnel. Also, together with Jefferson Standard Life Insurance Company, they gave their father’s estate in near Blowing Rock to the US Government as part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, a site which is today known as the Julian Price Memorial Park.
Other properties in Greensboro with statewide significance include the A North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University Historic District, the Revolution Cotton Mill, and the First Presbyterian Church, Smith Memorial Building, and First Presbyterian Church Cemetery (Greensboro Historical Museum). The fact that the Weavers ran their business on Greensboro’s main commercial street is an unusual footnote in Greensboro’s history. The East facade overlooks Lake Hamilton and features a full-width and full-height portico of Corinthian columns topped by a Chippendale balustrade.
Since its founding in 1797 by Jean Zuber, Zuber & Cie has maintained its headquarters at Rixheim, France. The loss of the house to creditors in the 1930s might have inspired a turn against Capitalism in the heart of youngest son Junius Irving Scales (1920–2002). It retains its original H-shaped plan and honors the scope, scale and materials of the initial design. Will was married to his wife Diane in 1949, and this project was their first new construction.
Those formative years at NCSU’s School of Design were under the leadership of the school’s Dean, Henry Kamphoefner, and it quickly earned a reputation as a center for modernist doctrine.
Interior spaces were austere; featuring areas of terrazzo and carpet coupled with masonry and textured walls.
For this service he was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal and was decorated as Commander of the Order of Leopold (Belgium). That year he accepted the command of the Battleship Division Five, and then commanded the Fourth Naval District from Philadelphia beginning in 1923 until his retirement in 1926. Colonial Revival homes were the dominant domestic style throughout the country during the first half of the twentieth century, especially along the East Coast where history runs deep.
Barrickman was an ad salesman with the Greensboro News when he and his wife moved into the home around 1953.
It features a wide overhanging roof, an off-center entryway, and a garage attached to the side of home. In this example a bright artist’s studio, has also been enclosed to the rear of the house, and a dining area has been expanded to the front of the house.
Her work is in public and private collections throughout the world, including those of Nobel Peace Prize Winner Elie Weisel, actor Henry Winkler, and musician Harry Connick Jr. He completed a degree in architecture at George Washington University where he studied at the Beaux-Arts Institute of Design.
There, Barton developed strong civic ties to the city and its citizens, to the extent that he established his own practice with a client base among the city's industrial and financial leaders.
He designed classically inspired courthouses and municipal buildings, churches in Gothic and Colonial Revival modes, and numerous educational buildings. A variety of window shapes and sizes are accentuated by Solomonic columns that twist as they rise.


He held this position during the 1960 sit-ins, and students who participated in the sit-ins remembered Zane as a key figure in getting Woolworth and the Kress stores to agree to integrate. These tickets may be purchased at Blandwood or by phone with a credit card at 336-272-5003 x3.
Their reinvestment in the Coltrane-Gray House makes the neighborhood that much safer and stronger. Mrs Anderson was recently widows when she persuaded one of Greensboro’s star architects, Harry Barton, to design her home in 1915. The Keith’s completed a meticulous restoration utilizing North Carolina’s Historic Preservation Tax credits by replacing the mechanical systems, kitchen and bathrooms, and restored charming details such as the side porch and the pent roof.
The house was heavily altered in the 1960s, at which time much of its historic character was hidden by false coverings such as aluminum siding. With five bedrooms, it was no surprise that the house was contracted for purchase by a family even before the job was finished. Happily, the couple has utilized the North Carolina Historic Preservation Tax credits to enhance the home, and is pursuing designation of the property as Local Landmark property through the county.
Schlosser was selected to complete numerous commissions on fine homes and parks throughout Greensboro, but he is best remembered for his contributions in Fisher Park.
Today, the Denny House is under contract for a new family that will call Historic Aycock their home. The Colonial Revival-style home features a symmetrical facade centered on a classical stoop that is a classic in Fisher Park. The window’s design had been a mystery to Bill and Shelly until a gentleman who grew up in the house demonstrated to them how the units easily slipped below the windowsill into the wall below.
This much needed reinvestment utilized North Carolina’s Historic Preservation Tax credit program, and has strengthened our tax base and brought more activities to our center city.
Constructed in 1912, its features a Neoclassical Revival facade with a full-height portico of paired Ionic columns, and a pediment that features an unusual demilune window with tracery. However, veteran Matthew Thomas saw the potential in the building that few others could imagine.
Enos began volunteering his free time with Architectural Salvage in the 1990s, shortly after ASG was established.
During her presidency, the organization launched a Capital Campaign entitled “Our Heritage Our Future”.
He learned Morse code and found employment as a telegraph operator and dispatcher for the Southern Railway.
He was promoted to president of the company in 1919 and served in that capacity for twenty seven years until 28 January 1946. He grew to become one of McLean’s most trusted advisors, and Price was mentioned as a successor to McLean as the nominee for the Democratic Gubernatorial ticket in 1928, but he refused to have his name placed in nomination. He was awarded an honorary doctorate of laws degree at the sesquicentennial of the University of North Carolina in 1946, just months before his death. In memory of her life and faith, Price honored her with a $500,000 gift to construct Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church at 2205 W Market Street in the Sunset Hills neighborhood of Greensboro.
One officer inquired of the name of the local bootlegger and was told it was a man named “Price.” The officer called Julian Price one Sunday afternoon and asked if he were the local source of liquor.
That likely would have doomed the project if an anonymous donor had not stepped forward to make a large private contribution to the effort. The Scales house remains as a tangible reminder of Greensboro’s rapid economic growth in the 1920s, and the grand scale of buildings and landscapes afforded during that period.
Jean Zuber's wallpapers were so respected that King Louis Philippe honored him in 1834 with the Legion of Honor. In 1935, young Scales began frequenting the Intimate Bookshop in Chapel Hill, an off campus gathering space for intellectuals and bohemians with a clandestine Communist Party printing press in a back room.
These tickets may be purchased at Blandwood, online or by phone with a credit card at 336-272-5003 x3.
They chose Will’s fraternity brother, Tommy Hayes, to design the home, and selected a heavily wooded site in the Hamilton Lakes neighborhood.
Unusual details include clerestory windows located between ceiling joists and a copper hood above the fireplace.
Interior appointments are traditional, with a wide central hall graced with a stair and flanked by a deep living room to the right and a dining room to the left.
Barton was one of the first licensed architects in North Carolina after a professional practice license act became law in 1915. He was promoted to Chairman of the Executive Committee of Burlington Industries and later the company’s Comptroller. He served as chairman of the mayor's Advisory Committee on Community Relations in 1961, and his high-ranking position with Burlington Industries provided him with a strong leadership position from which he could work with protestors to further integrate the city.
After completion Starr sold the property to Nora Coltrane, who managed the house as an investment property by renting it, and finally selling the home in 1932 to newlyweds Mary Margaret and Floyd Ernest Gray. Through the use of the North Carolina Historic Preservation Tax credits, modern conveniences such as kitchen and bathroom were added and character-defining interior appointments were retained, including a grand hallway staircase. Barton included impressive features for the fine home including beamed ceilings, high wainscoting with plate rails, and a grand staircase.
This is the third house on Olive Street to receive significant exterior renovation in recent months.
As a post note, research and oral history indicates that the home is the oldest house in Irving Park, and most likely dates between 1895-1910! Seventy years after his death, the Schlosser family wanted a safe and public site for the fanciful composition they called the “King Chair”. The house also sports an unusual corner bay window with curved plate glass, and a one-story wrap around porch supported by Tuscan columns.
He worked to address structural issues, reworked the floor plan, refinished floors and painted walls to bring the grand structure back.
This position took him to North Carolina in 1895, moving first to Durham and shortly thereafter to Greensboro. Price asked what kind the captain wanted and when told, Johnny Walker, he asked the young officer, “Black or Red?”  “Black,” replied the stunned officer, who was then told to drive up to the back of the Price home on Fisher Park Circle. If the building is demolished, the railroad’s proximity will likely preclude any reconstruction on the parcel, denying Greensboro the tax revenue, the connectivity north and south of the tracks, and economic revenue that a revitalized Cascade Saloon will contribute to the city as a rehabilitated and occupied structure.
He was soon hired as a clerk in the store at the age of 16, and started attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill the following year. He served 15 months of a six-year sentence at Lewisburg Penitentiary in Pennsylvania before President John F. True to the style, public spaces are logically separated from private as the form of the house is dictated by the function of spaces.
Working with the City of Greensboro, the Fisher Park Neighborhood Association and Schlosser family members, architect Carl Myatt spearheaded efforts to site the chair – where else? The Bain Building features elaborately sculpted terra cotta panels beneath large arched windows on the uppermost level. With the reinvestment made in this home, the Aycock neighborhood continues its upward trend! She navigated the Morehead Commission through the transfer of ownership of Blandwood from the Commission to Preservation Greensboro in 2011. When he stepped down as president, the company held assets of $179.2 million and the insurance in force exceeded $672 million.
The captain could hardly believe his luck when he tried to pay, for Price said, “No, no, young man, nothing is too good for our boys in the service.” That afternoon the Air Force base was enthralled with the captain’s awed description of how well he had been received by Greensboro’s leading citizen, Julian Price, whose profession and community standing was so much different from the local bootlegger with which he shared his surname! Once removed, the site would likely be relegated to use as a gravel parking lot, creating a wide rift separating the 300 and 500 blocks of Elm Street.
In 1939 he joined the Communist Party and quit school to become a union organizer in the Southern textile mills. Unusual appointments seen on this house is the false chimney on the left gable end of the home, utilized to achieve balance and symmetry of the facade, demilune windows in the uppermost floor, and the original garage to the rear. Brown selected in New Age Builders to complete all of the skilled and licensed repairs, and then finished the exterior paint and final landscaping with just a little elbow grease!  This project utilized the North Carolina Historic Preservation Tax credits and saw a much needed reinvestment into the period bungalow. At that time, Jefferson Standard ranked thirteenth in the nation among insurance companies. The attack on Pearl Harbor brought an end to his organizing efforts, but he returned to Chapel Hill and completed work on his bachelor's degree after serving in the Army. Scales lost his home across the lake due to foreclosure, he and his family lived in Tar Haven for several years. He became the state Communist Party chairman in 1948, serving openly and publicly, leading to newspaper stories that alarmed his once wealthy Capitalist family.
Naval Hospital in Bethesda, Md., and was buried in the Naval Academy Cemetery in Annapolis.




Lionel united states of tara
New york subway map c train youtube
  • ToMeKK, 02.05.2014 at 21:22:55
    Plus lots much more accessories, and.
  • Dj_Perviz, 02.05.2014 at 19:29:37
    Freights, locals and yard switching operations nonfiction film.