Babylon new york train station schedule lirr,new york city library overdrive,n scale via passenger cars - Videos Download

21.04.2016
Babylon (village), New York, and check out Babylon (village), New York on Wikipedia, Youtube, Google News, Google Books, and Twitter on Digplanet. What is now Babylon Town and Village was originally part of Huntington Town and known as South Huntington (or Huntington South). When a coherent community grew up in the area by 1803, prominent local citizens sought to adopt a new name.
Babylon soon became the primary gateway to the nearby barrier beaches, including Fire Island, a position it held until the building of the current Captree Causeways allowing automobile access to the beaches nearest the Babylon shore.
The famous Argyle Hotel in Babylon was one of many built in the late 19th century to accommodate wealthy summer visitors from New York City.
Effingham Park was the site of the Old Mill on what is now the Babylon Village-West Islip border and South Country Road, now Montauk Highway (Main Street in Babylon).
The park belonged to the estate of Effingham Sutton that later came into the ownership of Edwin Hawley, a U.S.
The Hawley Estate was gated off from the public with hedges and grand ornate estate fencing so that the public rarely saw its vast luxuries and amenities.
Many of the black service personnel of the Argyle Hotel formed a baseball team, the Babylon Black Panthers, said to be the first black professional baseball team.
The team went on to become the "world colored champions" of 1887 and 1888, and spawned imitators. Babylon Village today has three baseball fields for the high school, little league and adult play, and the high school team is named the Babylon Panthers. Another prominent African-American, the film actress Thelma (Butterfly) McQueen, moved with her family from her birthplace of Tampa, Florida to live on Cottage Row in Babylon, where she went on to graduate from Babylon High School and then pursued her acting career before later attending several universities and attaining a degree in political science. Many Babylon village residences and businesses suffered major flood and wind damage from Hurricane Sandy on October 29, 2012 with most of the damage occurring south of Montauk Highway (Main Street) close to the Great South Bay.
Babylon today is part suburban bedroom community, part small-town, and has a substantial shopping and business district. Today the village is best known for its restaurants and shops, and hosts shopping events during the fall as well as a popular crafts fair. A statue of Robert Moses was erected in front of the Village Hall on Main Street (Montauk Highway) in 2003. Areas of large old homes and less formal mansions exist in a number of areas, including on Fire Island Avenue, Crescent Avenue and Thompson Avenue on Sumpawam's Neck, the area in between West Creek (Carll's River) and East Creek (Sumpawams River), the main body of the village between Main Street and the Bay.
Because of this history, and the general unavailability of large tracts of building land, Babylon Village has very few tract houses or developments. Areas of large new homes are on formerly undeveloped or reclaimed former wetlands developed during the late 1940s through 1970s, including on Lucinda and Peninsula Drives, with estate-like homes such as that of Bret Saberhagen until 2001. Babylon Village has also experienced the modern phenomenon in which small sound houses on desirable lots have been purchased and torn down by affluent recent purchasers and replaced with houses as large as zoning will permit, meaning that the new home builder has paid the price of a home just to obtain the lot.
Most of the residents of the Village of Babylon are served by the Babylon Union Free School District (UFSD).
As of the 2010-2011 School Year, the Babylon Union Free School District had 1,788 students. The school district had a graduation rate of 94%, and 1% of students did not complete school. Babylon Junior-Senior High School, serves grades 7-12 in the original, but modernized and expanded High School building on North Carll Avenue between South Railroad Avenue and Grove Place, opposite the Babylon Railroad Station. West Babylon High School, serves students in grades 9-12, at the junction of Route 109 (Babylon-Farmingdale Road) and Great East Neck Road.
Babylon Village is bordered to the west by West Babylon, to the north by North Babylon, to the east by West Islip, and to the south by the Great South Bay. As of the census[3] of 2010, there were 12,166 people and 4,585 households in the village, with 2.65 persons per household.
Babylon village is primarily served by Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in the nearby hamlet of West Islip, and by Southside Hospital in the nearby hamlet of Bay Shore.


William Shepherd, former Navy SEAL and NASA astronaut; recipient of the Congressional Space Medal of Honor. It is commonly referred to as Babylon Village, to distinguish it from the Town of Babylon, of which it is a part. Lightly settled from 1689, its main industry, in common with much of the area along Great South Bay and South Oyster Bay (both actually lagoons), was the harvesting of salt hay, which was used as cattle feed and bedding. Beachgoers arriving by train or coach, or staying at local hotels typically took the Babylon Railroad, originally a horsecar line and later a trolley, to the Babylon Dock for ferries to Oak Island, Muncie Island, and Fire Island destinations.
This led many affluent individuals and families to reside at Babylon's seaside resorts, both on the mainland and on barrier beach islands. It was constructed in 1882 by August Belmont, the LIRR and resort entrepreneur on the former estate of Brooklyn railroad magnate Electus B. The old mill is claimed to be the first permanent structure in the Village area and was constructed for Judge Garrett Montfort and operated by the Oakley family for approximately 100 years. In the late 1960s the site of Hawley's Pond was in a rundown state, being unkempt and dilapidated.
The team so dominated local white teams that Walter Cook, a New Jersey promoter, put up the money to have them travel and play as the "Cuban Giants." Calling black ballplayers (or ballplayers in "white" professional clubs in that era who seemed too dark to be Caucasian) "Cuban" was a common practice through World War II. The Babylon Panthers varsity baseball team won Long Island championships in 2005-2006, 2012, and the New York State championship in 2007. Cottage Row still exists but no longer has any housing on it, falling prey to parking space for business district stores. Because of the 140-year presence of the railroad, and its earlier status as a way station on Montauk Highway, originally the only through highway on Long Island's south shore, most of the core of Babylon dates to the era from before the American Civil War to World War I. Some of the few areas developed after World War II reflected the conversion of remaining farms and remains of large estates and mansions. Most of the affluent homes built in these new areas were large ranch houses, popular in the time of building, but much less favored today. 96% of graduates received a Regents Diploma and 67% received a Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation.
The Babylon station is the terminal for the Babylon Branch of the Long Island Rail Road, and is also served by the Montauk Branch. Conklin, was used to living inland in what is now considered Dix Hills and was at unease with the home site that her grandchildren would be raised in. Muncie Island, (was just north of Oak Beach, island was depleted for the construction of Ocean Parkway) was host to one of the most elite sanatoriums and nearby Saltaire was host to the Surf Hotel offering several hundred rooms to guests. Nathaniel Conklin also owned the mill and in its final years, ownership was in the hands of David Ricketts, the second mayor of the Village. Hawley demolished the Old Mill and parts of Sutton's Estate to erect an even more opulent estate including guest cottages, staff housing, and stables.
When Route 231 was being built, Hawley's Lake Park lost all hope of being repaired and restored to its former glory: the routes northern and southern terminus were run directly through the estate.
The village also has one of Long Island's older continuous African-American communities, of which the employees of the Argyle are said to have formed the core.
As a result, there is a mix of building styles, including pre-Civil War, colonial, Victorian, and more recent designs.
These areas generally contain 1950s-style ranch houses, but there are some characteristic Long Island split level homes and high ranches. In the last decade and continuing to the present, many of these houses have been expanded by adding a story and changing their style to more colonial appearance.
9% of students were eligible for free lunch, 3% for reduced-price lunch, and 1% of students were Limited English Proficient. Of the 2011 completers, 75% planned to move on to 4-year College, 19% to 2-year College, 0% to Other Post-Secondary, 0% to the Military, 4% to Employment, 0% to Adult Services, 2% had other known post-secondary plans, and 0% had no known post-secondary plan. Therefore, passengers utilizing the Babylon station can travel to both the westernmost and easternmost stations on Long Island, making the village ideal for commuters.


Guests of the Surf would take the rail road to Babylon's trolley and then cross the bay by a ferry. Financing was provided by a syndicate headed by Long Island Rail Road President, Austin Corbin. Hawley turned the overflow from the Old Mill into a waterfall that matched and, some claim, exceeded the splendor of the still-existent Argyle Falls at Argyle Memorial Park. Some sources even claim that the lake was made considerably smaller and was partially filled in during the expressway's construction. This community still maintains two of the village's 12 churches, the Ebenezer Baptist Church and the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, both on Cooper Street. Nearer the shore, much of the housing was originally summer properties, including mansions and estates, cottages and bungalows: the latter two, virtually all now winterized.
The average weekday commute from Babylon station to New York City's Penn Station ranges (roughly) from 55 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes, depending on train schedules and station stops. Conklin compared the new hamlet to the biblical city of Babylon and proposed that name in apparent defiance of the area's rather bawdy reputation as a stop-over place for travelers on Long Island's south shore. The grounds, which included a large millpond, Blythebourne Lake became renamed Argyle Lake, for one of the hotela€™s largest investors and town aristocrat, the heir to the Dukedom of Argyll. At one point, a bridge was used to carry Main Street over the overflows connection to Sumpwams Creek. In addition to the falls, there were two bridges crossing the north side and mid-northeast side of the lake in many old postcards and photographs.
Today, Hawley's Lake Park is an unused resource due mostly for its lack of parking and lack of village concern. As far as large formal mansions and estates, most have been razed, yet one of the last remaining estates in Babylon, and presumably the towns smallest is the Long Island Yacht Club, built by E.W. Those of even greater wealth would have homes or compounds built on the shore or barrier beach islands for vacationing. The north side bridge was likely the bridge that carried George Street over the stream feeding Hawley's Pond, before New York Highway 231 was put through the area.
The aging grand falls were replaced with a more modern, less ornate and less attractive setup. Stage stop hotels include the La Grange Inn, previously used as a catering hall, and now a West Islip Historical Museum, and is actually adjacent West Islip. After about a decade of disuse, it was finally demolished in 1904, some of the structure being used to build homes west of the lake in the neighborhood now known as Argyle Park.
The Babylon Beautification Society tries from time to time to maintain the site, although no plan has proved considerably successful. The adjacent part of Islip town, an effective extension of Babylon, was originally considered as part of Babylon, or as East Babylon, but today is the hamlet of West Islip. In 1921, the land that is now the Argyle Park was donated for passive recreation to the Village of Babylon, by J. Since there is no parking at the site, and because access to families that might otherwise want to use it is constrained by the necessity of crossing active highway lanes, the current status of the site has remained unchanged. Between the park and the Lake Drives in West Islip and the northern terminus of Route 231 is a small group of ponds also belonging to the former Effingham Park.
This park is still popular, drawing substantial numbers of visitors from outside the community for fishing, strolling, playing on the children's playground, and winter ice skating (including a lighted area for night skating).
This portion is no longer designated as park property, and is accessible to the homes on Lake Drive South and Lake Drive North.
The overflow pool from Hawley's Fall opens into two tunnels beneath Main Street that drain into Sumpwams River, known locally as East Creek, and eventually into Great South Bay.



Bachmann ho thoroughbred electric train set instructions
Steel frame home kits usa
Kidkraft new metro wooden train table & set with trundle top



Comments to «Babylon new york train station schedule lirr»

  1. ANTIXRIST writes:
    With smaller turbines over the.
  2. KATANCHIK38 writes:
    Fairly generating my top ten had been Model City.
  3. Sharen writes:
    Issues ALL ISUES for her two boys.