Train line boston to new york,lego train sets for sale ebay review,easy thomas the tank engine games - PDF Review

26.01.2015
A Boston MTA subway train stopped at the Newton Center, Massachusetts "T" station on the Riverside D-Line.
This shuttle provides free transportation to all parts of the Cambridge and Harvard Business School campuses. The Red Line runs inbound towards Park Street Station in Boston and outbound going away from Park Street Station. The Green Line (that has B, C, D, and E Line) runs inbound to Park Street Station and outbound from Park Street Station as well. The Orange Line runs inbound to Downtown Crossing Station and outbound away from Downtown Crossing Station.
The Blue line runs inbound towards Government Center Station and outbound away from Government Center Station. The Commuter Rail or Train is also called the Purple Line and primarily services suburban towns. There are different types of T passes that can be purchased on the 15th of the previous month to the 14th of the current month. Travel by taxi in the Boston area may be an expensive way to get around, but it can be convenient. Owning a car is expensive and maintaining a car (especially a used one) may be a constant financial burden. All car owners must also pay an annual excise tax, which varies according to the value of the car. In Cambridge and Boston, a majority of the streets require a parking permit that can be obtained only if your car is registered in that town. During the winter months when snowfall is particularly heavy, snow emergencies will be declared. In order to rent a car in the Boston area you must have a driver's license and a major credit card, and must be 25 years or older. In order to obtain a Massachusetts Identity Card or a Massachusetts Liquor Identity Card, you must go to the Registry of Motor Vehicles with the same forms of identification listed under (Drivers' Licenses).
For more information on bicycling commuter benefits, department bike-share programs and other bike programs and resources, visit Harvard Campus Services CommuterChoice site.
When riding a bicycle you must observe traffic laws, be cautious (do not assume car drivers can always see you), and always lock the bicycle when leaving it unattended. Underneath Boston’s skyscrapers and sidewalks lies a hidden, long-forgotten labyrinth of abandoned subway stations and tunnels—vestiges of the country’s first subway system.
A noted transit historian, Clarke had to complete MBTA Right-of-Way training courses and be accompanied by MBTA personnel to be admitted to the long-sealed stations and tunnels known to only a few.
The BSRA is an educational nonprofit that works to explore the history of public transportation in the greater Boston area and to preserve present-day activities for future generations. If you want to take a tour of the Grand Lodge building, all you have to do is call them and ask. What did close in 1952 was the opening at the end of the Bowdoin tail tracks, which go about halfway down Cambridge Street toward Charles St. In 1952 the line was extended out to the beach and Wonderland, with plenty of room for its very own yard, so no more need for the above machinations, and the Bowdoin portal was closed.
The biggest and longest of Boston's rapid transit lines evolved from a proposal to expand the Main Line Elevated (Orange Line) to Cambridge and South Boston in the early years of the 20th Century.
The initial construction of this line marked the initial move away from the systems designed to be compatible with the original elevated systems in Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago, Manhattan and Philadelphia, The new lines built under the Dual Contracts in New York and under Broad St.
As we look at the individual stations, it is important to remember that in Boston, surface and rapid transit service has always been closely linked. This station is underground, similar to a large box open to the ground level, with parking facilities above.
Leaving Alewife, the line proceeds in an easterly direction in a cut and cover subway under the right of way of the former Somerville Freight Cut-off. Davis Square (Opened December 8, 1984; trackage in use beginning September 6, 1983) The next station is Davis Sq. Leaving Davis, the line curves away from the Freight Cut-off and proceeds southeasterly under private land, eventually winding up under Massachusetts Av. From the fare lobby, escalators and elevators provide the primary access to the subway platforms with the nine flights of stairs intended for emergencies only.
Doors from the unpaid area also lead out to a platform serving buses arriving from the south and west and departing to the north and northwest.
Leaving Harvard, the Red Line tracks make a sharp turn to the east, and continue under Massachusetts Av.
Harvard-Brattle (Opened March 24, 1979, closed September 2, 1983.) Since the construction of the extension to Alewife would require closing the bus tunnel for several years, it was decided to provide a transfer station outside busy Harvard Sq. Stadium (Opened October 26, 1912, closed Late 1960s.) Perhaps the most seldom used station on the entire system was Stadium, located along the east edge of the yard adjacent to Eliot Shops. Harvard-Holyoke (Opened January 31, 1981, closed September 2, 1983.) The final station in the Harvard complex was Harvard-Holyoke, a temporary facility constructed to serve while the tunnel was being connected to the present station.
The original Harvard, Stadium, Harvard-Brattle and Harvard-Holyoke were all constructed for 4 car trains and were never lengthened. Kendall-MIT (Opened March 23, 1912.) Like Central, this is a two track station, with side platforms, separate fare controls, and no mezzanine or crossunder.
Leaving Kendall-MIT, the tracks begin a steep upgrade, reaching the surface at the west end of the Longfellow Bridge, which they cross on a center reservation.
At the west end of the bridge are the remnants of an interesting connection which allowed cars from the Blue Line (East Boston Tunnel) to be brought to the Eliot Shops for servicing. Charles-MGH (Opened February 27, 1932.) On the east side of the bridge the tracks level out and enter Charles MGH station, a rather plain elevated affair with two tracks and outside platforms.
Leaving Charles MGH the structure curves to the southeast, passing over part of Cambridge St. Park Street (Under) (Opened March 23, 1912.) We enter Park Street (Under), the last station on the original section of the line. All entrances and exits from Park Street Under are in the eastern section beneath the Green Line. In the 1980s, the fare control was rearranged, and most of the concourse became an unpaid area, The Summer fare control now stretches across the concourse facing the Orange Line platform. South Station (Under) (Opened December 3, 1916.) South Station Under consists of two tracks with outside platforms.
The final renovation is still in progress in August 2004 and was triggered by the massive highway project known as the "Big Dig" In order to build new northbound lanes for I-93 underground, it was necessary to tunnel under the Red Line at a depth of about 100 feet.
Leaving South Station, the grade continues downward and a pair of circular bored tubes bring the tracks under the Fort Point Channel. The Bay View streetcar line was bustituted in 1929, at which time the shelter was paved, and another Boston specialty, buses with left hand doors, shared the platform with the Broadway cars. The biggest change at Broadway took place in the 1980s when the old shelter was replaced with a one-way (outbound) version and a pedestrian entrance was opened at the southeast corner of Broadway and Dorchester Av. Andrew (Opened June 29, 1918.) Andrew is a side platform station constructed with a large trolley station on the surface. Leaving Andrew, the tunnel curves a little more to the southwest under Boston St., and the center wall gives way to an opening for a trailing crossover. A station modernization effort in the 1970s replaced the original headhouse with a plain concrete one and provided a similar one at the south end which replaced the original stairs. Once UMass Boston opened near the station in the early 1980s, public demand for a stop here on the Braintree Line increased, and the MBTA, which had opposed such a stop because it would lengthen the trip for riders from Quincy and beyond, finally acquiesced. Despite all of this reconstruction, portions of the original platform and canopy at Columbia still stand, to the north and south of the stairs leading to the fare lobby. Leaving JFK-UMass, the tracks of the Dorchester Extension occupy the west edge of the five track right of way. Savin Hill (Opened November 5, 1927.) Savin Hill was constructed as an island platform with its headhouse opening onto Savin Hill Av. Little changed at Savin Hill Station, with a "modernization" in the 1970s eliminating the waiting room, and about 100 feet added at the south end of the platform to allow six car trains to stop here. Leaving Savin Hill the Dorchester Extension tracks climb a flyover clearing a freight siding, and descend onto an embankment shared with the Old Colony main and the South Shore Line, A gentle easterly curve starts at a bridge over Freeport St, followed by a much sharper curve to the west at the Old Colony's former Harrison Sq. Fields Corner (Opened November 5, 1927.) Fields Corner was constructed as a five track affair, with three island platforms, each about 280 feet long. In the 1950s, the fare changes required relocation of the fare control to the inbound upper level, and the trackless platforms were fenced off from the subway. The early 1960s saw the replacement of the trackless trolleys on routes 17, 19 and 20 with diesel buses. A plan for a massive renewal of the stations of the Dorchester Extension was developed in the first years of the 21st century, and construction started in the spring of 2004.
Internal changes are now in progress to provide elevators for the disabled, and spruce up the deteriorating platform area. Ashmont (Opened September 1, 1928.) Ashmont Station was constructed as a six track affair, with four island platforms. The first two bus lines to serve Ashmont were reroutes of car lines which were holdovers from the days before the Dorchester Extension. Eastern Mass car service to Brockton ended in 1932, and was replaced by buses terminating on the busway, The el's car service to Milton ended in 1933 and was replaced with bus service to Mattapan (27), Joining these on the busway was a new route to Gallivan and Marsh (24 later 12), and new Eastern Mass services to Quincy via West Quincy (215), and Wollaston Beach (217). Starting in 1948 the streetcar ramps and loop were widened and paved, and other modifications completed, and in 1949 Routes 22 and 23 were converted to trackless trolleys. In the 1950s, the fare changes required relocation of the fare control to the inbound subway platform, and surface lines were fenced off from the subway. The early 1960s saw the replacement of the trackless trolleys on routes 22 and 23 with diesel buses. Late in 2003, the bus routings through the station were altered, to allow for the operation of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses. Continue reading about the MBTA Mattapan-Ashmont Line, a short line operated with PCC trolley cars. North Quincy (Opened September 1, 1971.) North Quincy Station, which is not on the site of a former Old Colony station, is located at the corner of Newport Av.
North Quincy has seen one major alteration since opening, a renovation of the headhouses which added a glassed in passageway atop the platform canopy at each end, leading to elevators connecting with the platform. Leaving North Quincy, the tracks begin a long run which despite having no major curves involves numerous minor deviations and grade changes. Wollaston (Opened September 1, 1971.) Wollaston, located just north of the site of the Old Colony's former Wollaston stop, has two tracks with an island platform long enough for six cars.
Like North Quincy, Wollaston required a double fare to enter and an additional fare to exit. Quincy Center (Opened September 1, 1971.) Quincy Center has two rapid transit tracks with an island platform, and one commuter rail track with a side platform.
Leaving Quincy Center the tracks remain in the deep cut for about 1000 feet, passing under Granite St. Part of the reason for the delay in extending the Red Line to Braintree was the siting of this station. Having been opened after the fare realignment of 1980, Quincy Adams collects a double fare inbound and an exit fare outbound. Leaving Quincy Adams the rapid transit tracks rise onto an embankment, while the Old Colony track descends.
Braintree (Opened March 22, 1980.) Braintree consists of two rapid transit tracks with an island platform located east of Union St. When Braintree opened, a triple fare was collected entering and a double fare was collected from those leaving. Leaving Braintree, Interlocking 27, controls access to Cadigan Yard which can accommodate about 8 trains of four cars. The original cars purchased in 1911 and 1912 would be the longest in the world for well over 50 years and were constructed almost entirely of steel. The first major change made in the Cambridge-Dorchester fleet came around 1930, when Multiple Unit Door Control was applied to all cars. As time took its toll on the original Cambridge-Dorchester fleet, new equipment had appeared on all of the other lines. The last two cars in the order (01490 and 01491) featured molded fiberglass ends, which were provided by Pullman to test the technology in advance of an order for the Chicago Transit Authority.
The first major change in the Bluebirds was the installation radios in the late 1960s and of cab signal equipment in the mid 1970s. The opening of the South Shore Extension in 1971 resulted in a new rapid transit car to service the route. Students at HMS, HSPH, HSDM, GSAS, DMS, HBS and FAS, as well as Harvard University officers and staff, need only to swipe their University ID cards to ride the bus free of charge. The Blue Line has a stop called Airport, where you can then connect to shuttles that take you to the terminals at Logan Airport.
Trains going north start at North Station on the Green Line; and going south at South Station on the Red Line in Boston.
Transfers from one bus to another are allowed without extra charge within a two hour period. If you are being paid by Harvard or a Harvard-affiliated hospital and are eligible for employee benefits, you will be eligible for the Harvard MBTA Pass Program. Most people either get a taxi by telephoning and having the taxi pick them up (the taxi company will most likely ask for a cell phone number so they can call when they arrive) or go to get a taxi at a taxi stand.
To register your car, you need to provide proof of car insurance, the bill of sale, and the certificate of ownership (the "title") at the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
Acceptable proof of Massachusetts residence includes a lease, a bank statement, or a utility bill that shows your name and address. For information on Massachusetts driving regulations, consult the handbook available at the Registry of Motor Vehicles (located in Boston or Watertown).
Lock the bike in a well-lit and well-traveled area, rather than in an isolated area where it could be easily stolen. Subway and history buffs will have a rare opportunity to glimpse images of this ghostly world tomorrow when Brad Clarke, president of the Boston Street Railway Association (BSRA), will present photographs and footage at the BSRA’s monthly public meeting. He’ll share stories about how these tunnels were used, why there were sealed up, and what they tell us about Boston’s early transit system, the precursor to today’s MBTA.
Clarke will also show photos of a film crew in the abandoned Tremont Street Subway (south of Boylston Street), taken while they made a documentary for the Travel Channel in 2011. Vintage 16mm films of Boston’s transit system that haven’t been seen in years will be shown as well.
In addition to its monthly meetings, the organization runs a streetcar restoration program (it is currently restoring a historic Type 5 streetcar, #5706, that ran in Boston until the 1950s) and publishes the bimonthly transit news magazine Rollsign and other publications. The first section built between 1909 and 1912 had 4 stations, three in Cambridge plus one in Downtown Boston and connected Harvard Square to Park Street (Under). Almost every stop has or has had some interconnection between surface and subway, and many included transfer provisions within the paid area. The station has several levels, There is an entrance lobby at street level with stairways down to a pair of commuter rail platforms one level down and via the usual three modes to a fare control lobby north of the commuter rail tracks at the same level. The inbound platform lies above the outbound one with fully accessible connections between them. The east wall of the station abuts famous Harvard Yard, while the west wall abuts another subway. This is a cavernous facility with a high ceiling, and includes a Dunkin Donuts and several other vendors outside the paid area. These buses run in a tunnel opened with the original Harvard Station in 1912, It begins at a portal at the intersection of Mount Auburn and Eliot Sts. Pavement was added for trackless trolley operation in 1938, and buses with catalytic mufflers have been allowed to use it since the late 1960s. We now depart Harvard, and the inbound track rises to the upper level on a southerly curve. Like the present station, it was a bi-level affair, with the inbound track on the lower level. Following the opening of Cabot Shops in 1970, the Eliot shops were closed and demolished with the land going to Harvard for its John F. Consisting of a single track with a narrow platform, this unusual station was opened only for events at Harvard Stadium. The bridge was built by the Boston Transit Commission and opened to the public on August 3, 1906. This connection consisted of crossovers from the rapid transit tracks to parallel streetcar trackage on the bridge, which then passed through Charles Circle and continued up Cambridge St. This station has two tracks with three platforms, an island platform serving both tracks, and two parallel side platforms. A wide stairway led up from the end of the center platform to a fare control lobby east of the Green Line under the intersection of Winter and Tremont Sts.
Stairways and escalators connect the transfer passageways leading to Winter directly with Summer, and elevators link Summer with both sides of Washington for the disabled.
From here, a long stairway rose to a landing overlooking the lobby from which perpendicular stairs rose to connect with passageways under the sidewalks of Summer St. This was done as a cut & cover operation beneath a decked over Atlantic Av, After the highway tunnel was complete, a second tunnel and station was constructed above it for the Silver Line including a loop under Dewey Sq. Immediately the tunnels turn to the southwest and level out running about 3000 feet on tangent. The Broadway cars lasted another 24 years, but upon their demise in 1953, traffic through the shelter was reversed so ordinary buses could be used here. The wall then resumes for about 1000 feet, to support the upper level and a railroad right of way which crosses below Dorchester Av.
Later, in the 1980s, the usual narrow platform extensions were added, about 60 feet at either end of the original station. The platform was extended south to the stairs making the station the second older one long enough for six cars.
Not willing to simply build a platform with a crossover passage, the MBTA built a huge new enclosed fare lobby over the middle of the station, and closed both existing entrances. A trailing crossover connects the inbound track to the outbound South Shore track at Interlocking 21. On May 28, 2004, Savin Hill stood as the most original of all the pre-war Red Line stations. The easternmost stairs to the platform were located outside the fence and the high exits were removed, making these the main pedestrian entry. The heated waiting room on the inbound platform was demolished, and the crossunder and exit at Freeman St. The plans have evolved greatly, but, without the option of closing the station entirely as was done at Savin Hill, the customers are being greatly inconvenienced. The southerly two stairways up from the platforms are closed as part of that process, but the outright destruction seen at Savin Hill and Fields Corner does not seem likely. The rapid transit platform faces were about 350 feet long, while those serving streetcars were roughly 220 feet.
The Washington Street line originated at Andrew Station and followed the route of the Meeting House Hill line (17) to Geneva Av. These changes left the main level with one car line for each departing track (22, 23 & 28) and seven bus routes on the upper level. The Mattapan cars became pay as you exit inbound, with the fare being collected at the subway platform for transfering passengers. All of the MTA's buses now loaded and unloaded on the main level leaving the busway to the exclusive use of the Eastern Mass. The heated waiting room on the inbound platform was demolished, and a new truss bridge was constructed over the north end of the platforms with stairs leading down to the platforms which were all now unpaid areas with the exception of the inbound subway platform.
If the activities at Savin and Fields Corner are any indication, the effect will be drastic.
A scissors crossover and a facing switch allow trains to enter any of three layover tracks, where ends are swapped and the trains wait their turn to proceed northbound.
Like the Ashmont route, the inbound track is on the upper level here passing over the connector from Cabot Yard before joining the main route to Andrew. The next bridge spans Victory Road, soon followed by a pair of bridges over Morrissey Blvd. Elevators were also added to the other stairways at the north headhouse and a ramp to West Squantum St.
Both platforms are situated beneath a large parking garage, with about half of the first floor occupied by stores and the Red Line fare lobby.
Interlocking 24 is immediately south of the station and includes a siding between the two tracks capable of storing 8 cars. In the beginning there were two stations planned, one in South Quincy and one in North Braintree. After its junction with the former Granite Branch, now merely a siding to a newspaper plant, the Old Colony burrows under the Red Line and turns eastward. The fare realignment implemented later that year changed this to double fare entering and a single fare exiting, though with the doubling of the base fare at the time, this still resulted in an increase. The doors were spaced along the sides of the cars and were single panels sliding into pockets in the side of the car. In theory this could allow a single guard to control all of the doors in a train from a single toggle switch.
Finally, in the early 1960s, the MTA placed an order with Pullman-Standard for 92 cor-ten steel cars identical in dimensions at the floor with the previous cars, but wider above, a design pioneered on the Elevated cars of 1957. The major difference was that the cars were single ended and coupled back to back in semi-permanently married pairs.
This effort was designed to allow the regular use of these cars on the South Shore Line to take advantage of their greater capacity. From the beginning, the MBTA planned for lower ridership on this suburban operation than its urban partner. For information check Shuttle Tracker where you can locate specific buses on your computer or hand held electronic device. The terms inbound and outbound are used to indicate which direction you are going on the lines.


From South Station on the Red Line you can transfer to the Silver Line and it goes directly to all the terminals at Logan Airport.
Harvard offers its employees a 50 percent discount on monthly bus, subway and commuter rail passes.
Massachusetts does have a Buyer's Right to Return Law that allows the buyer of a used car to return it for a full refund under certain conditions. Never assume that a parking space will be included in the rental price of an apartment, even if there is a parking lot or garage in or near the building. To join, you pay a membership fee, make a security deposit, and choose a trial or permanent plan. The Registry of Motor Vehicles will then issue a card with your photo on it to be used for identification purposes in Massachusetts.
Principal among these were the limitations imposed by an elevated structure zig-zagging around Boston's narrow, crooked streets. Two more stations were added to this section, a special service station in Cambridge in 1912 and a regular stop in Downtown Boston in 1932. The cars designed for the Broad Street line would closely resemble the Boston cars, while the BMT Standards in New York would take on their own unique appearance while adding some interesting twists to the basic layout. Often the modifications made to the stations were closely related to changes in surface vehicles or transfer policies, and for that reason, some of the descriptions are lengthy. The platform is connected by stairs, elevator, and escalators to a fare control area at street level. The glass headhouse at the street features a steel wind-operated sculpture which resembles hot air balloons, and the Route 77A - Harvard to North Cambridge trolleybus line serves the station. The inbound (upper) level is approximately 85 feet below the surface, with the outbound (lower) level approximately 100 feet below.
Before entering Harvard station, the line curves around the portal of a second cut-and-cover subway which is part of the Harvard complex.
The outbound platform lies above the inbound, and both lie to the west of the tracks which run in a north-south orientation, Stairs link the north ends of both platforms with an additional flight leading up from the inbound to a part-time fare lobby and then to open stairways to the surface at the corner of Massachusetts Av. Beyond the turnstyles, stairs and an elevator lead up to the surface at the corner of Massachusetts Av. The original headhouse on the surface was a brick oval building, which was later replaced with a simple cast-iron and copper shelter. The platforms were located directly across from the original ones, on the south side of the tracks. The inbound fare control was a wide spot at the east end of the platform, with a collector's booth and a couple of turnstyles. The name tablets were maroon with white lettering, but have long since been covered with non-descript white tile. Interestingly, disabled passengers at Winter cannot reach Washington, but can reach Park St. The original South Station (hence the "Under") was not the railroad station at street level, but a stop on the Atlantic Av. There were several series of renovations made at South Station in the latter third of the 20th century.
This construction was at the level of the fare lobby, so a new fare lobby was constructed above the Silver Line for combined access.
The reason for this change was that the subway had been extended south about a mile to Andrew Sq., and that all of the streetcars now terminated there with the exception of a single route from Bay View. The next change to take place was the relocation of the fare control to the lower platform when subway and local fares were altered in the 1950s, the change which inspired "Charlie on the MTA". Four of the stairways linking the middle and lower platforms were demolished at this time, opening up the platform for better passenger safety. Trackless trolleys took over the Meeting House Hill and Franklin Park lines in 1949 The City Point to Dudley cars lasted another 4 years, and were the last streetcars to use the surface shelter. In the early 1990s a total replacement of the shelter was undertaken, with the original concrete structure with arched openings, giving way to a galvanized steel structure with a gabled roof and full length openings to Dorchester Av. The end of the tangent marks the transition from the Dorchester Tunnel of the 1910s to the Dorchester Extension built by the Boston Transit Department (Successor to the Boston Transit Commission) beginning December 3, 1924.
The primary pedestrian entrance to each station was through a brick headhouse, with cast concrete ornamentation over a bank of entry and exit doors. A small but fully functional fare control was located at the top of the stairs from the platform. The right of way is now the Old Colony's Shawmut Branch, on which passenger service operated until September 4, 1926.
The next platform served outbound subway trains and cars for Neponset (20), Quincy Center and the Fore River Shipyard (both Eastern Mass. The adjacent crossunder remained in the paid area, and was fenced off from the bus platform at the old fare control. Carhouse and Dorchester Bus Garage were closed and the property redeveloped into a shopping mall. On the first day of the spring schedule, the busways were closed and all buses loaded and unloaded under the Geneva Av.
Since for over 50 years, only four car trains stopped here, large iron gates blocked access to the southerly 120 feet of the platforms, which were dimly lit and dirty. Because of this high entry turnstyles were installed in the passageways from the headhouse and busway and on the entry (no exit) at Radford Lane. Cabot based routes 18, 22 and 23 were converted in early summer 2004 and follow the same routing as Route 26. The outbound track passes under the inbound Dorchester track and both merge with their respective leads to Cabot just north of Columbia Rd. Between the bridges, one can see the remains of Popes Hill Station, another abandoned Old Colony stop.
A simple arrangement of stairs and an escalator lead down to a fare lobby below the tracks. The main tracks at this point extended for 12 carlengths when the line opened in 1971, allowing the storage of 8 trains south of the station. A fare lobby sits above the tracks part of the first floor of a multi level parking facility. Local concerns mounted as the lots and garages at the line's original stations quickly began filling to capacity. The rapid transit tracks also turn eastward and descend to match the grade of the Old Colony and MA-3, the main highway from Boston to Cape Cod. The yard ends at Pearl St, while the Old Colony tracks cross that thoroughfare on a bridge before dividing into branches to Plymouth and Middleboro. In practice, it meant that the single switch controlled all the doors on its car since a law was hastily passed requiring one guard for every two cars to protect the public safety (and the jobs of several hundred Elevated employees).
A monitor-arch roof was also used as in the earlier cars but louvers for air intakes filled the space between the monitor and the sides, resulting in a smooth roof line. Odd numbered cars carried the air compressor, while even numbered cars carried the motor-generator and batteries.
Unfortunately, the equipment was unreliable, and would be replaced when the cars were overhauled in the early 1980s. Therefore it was planned to have a car with more comfortable seating and less standing room as in the Braintree 0700s. In the Medical Area tickets may be purchased at 180 Longwood Avenue (Parking & Transportation Office), and in Cambridge at the Events and Information Center on the ground floor of the Smith Campus Center (formerly Holyoke Center).
Money is deposited to a Charlie Card at vending machines located at any of the subway stops. You can purchase your pass online, and need only to sign up once for automatic monthly renewal.
In Harvard Square there are taxi stands in front of the Smith Campus Center (formerly Holyoke Center), the Harvard Coop, The Charles Hotel, and The Sheraton Commander Hotel. The size and capacity of the cars was limited, and the speed of operation was slowed by the sharp curves.
The second phase was built between 1912 and 1918, and was known as the Dorchester Tunnel despite the fact that is ended short of its namesake community. The fare control is on a gallery mezzanine above the inbound track at the center of the platform, and is connected to the platform by stairs, elevator, and escalator. The MBTA commuter rail stop has two tracks with side platforms in an open cut east of Massachusetts Av., but here we are mostly concerned with the subway station. From the upper level one can look down over a balcony railing to the lower level platform and track. The later shelter now stands close to its original location and houses Out-of-Town News, another Harvard Sq. Fare control was on the upper level with an open stairway leading up to the surface near the corner of Massachusetts Av. Unlike the subways within Boston which were built by the Boston Transit Commission, the Boston Elevated planned and constructed this section.
A row of columns with archways overhead and iron fencing separates the paid and unpaid areas, with fare control at the center of the inbound platform and at the west end of the original outbound platform. The former name was inherited from its less ornate predecessor, while the latter honors its 8 towers, which resemble fancy salt and pepper shakers. A concrete headhouse containing a mezzanine fare control stood at the east end until recently.
A single narrow stair connects the center platform to the westbound Green Line, emerging behind the stairway to the kiosk. From here to South Station the "tunnel" is a double deck cut & cover subway on a descending grade.
The first was the opening of a passageway into the basement of the railroad terminal where stairs and escalators lead up to the main concourse around 1980. The new lobby is west of the original and at the same level as the passage from the railroad terminal, From there, a labyrinth of corridors, stairways, escalators and elevators connect the various platforms. At the end of the tangent, the grade levels out, the twin tubes end and short cut & cover tunnels curve south under Dorchester Av.
A half dozen straight stairways connected directly to the middle level where streetcars serving Dorchester terminated. Paper transfers were now used to separate locals from through passengers and make sure the infamous "extra nickle" was collected. The subway platform was extended south to accommodate six car trains in the 1980s, the work requiring no structural changes to the tunnel.
After the end of the center wall the tracks rise up to just below the surface and continue at that level for about 2000 feet before ramping down again, curving slightly to the southwest and entering Andrew. Stairs facing south at track level led to a passageway above the subway station, which in turn led to stairs up to the southerly streetcar platform.
The next change to take place was the relocation of the fare control to the south half of the middle level when subway and local fares were altered in the 1950s. The solid center wall resumes, the grade turns upward, and a sharp curve to the southeast aligns us with the Old Colony RR's main line. The South Shore Extension was now running through here non-stop on two tracks to the east while further east the Old Colony main line, once four tracks wide, was down to single iron as the Milton Secondary. The ramps were paved, and other modifications completed, and in 1949 Route 19 followed by route 17 were converted to trackless trolleys. About this time, the 18 and 21 buses were moved to the upper level, leaving the lower level for the exclusive use of the Eastern Mass. This, in turn, cut off access to the lower level busway, forcing the Eastern Mass buses to use the upper level. The project to rehabilitate the platforms in the 1980s, saw the platform walls finished in tan glazed block, and a false metal ceiling installed with continuous fluorescent lighting. The west wall of the shelter was removed and a fourth bus lane added, opening the entire station to the weather. Conley street is quickly bridged after which we pass under I-93 again and come alongside Tenean Beach.
Concrete and glass are the primary architectural elements of this station, which is extremely functional in design. When it opened in 1971, North Quincy required a double fare to enter and an additional fare to exit.
The west side of the station abuts Burgin Parkway and a pair of short downward stairways provide the entry here, sheltered by a replica of the original Harvard kiosk.
Unlike the garage at Quincy, which sits above the tracks, the Quincy Adams Garage is perpendicular to the tracks and has ramps leading directly to I-93 or MA-3. The final compromise was to locate a single station at the present site, with direct ramps to the main highways. The many grade changes in this area, combined with the desire to discourage motorists from using local streets to reach Quincy Adams resulted in Centre St.
There is a bus platform, served by Route 236, and an auto drop off outside the fare lobby, which occupy one half the lower level of a three level garage. The next change came in 1947 when four cars 0706, 0719, 0723 and 0724 were modernized to include features planned for inclusion in cars planned for operation on the Braintree extension, then on the drawing board. There were four door openings per side, with those near the ends located adjacent to the full width cabs.
46 cars used GE's SCM control system (01400 to 01445) and 46 used a Westinghouse system of similar design (01446 to 01491). Other aspects of the overhaul included the installation of headlights and a public address system. Payment is made through pre-tax payroll deduction, so buyers save even more on top of Harvard's subsidy.
Coin operated meters monitor the length of time you are permitted to leave your car in a parking space.
Keep in mind that not all bars and restaurants will accept the Massachusetts Identity Card as proof of age for serving alcohol. Lastly, the elevated structure itself was not highly welcome in the neighborhoods it served. This section added four stations to the route, two in Downtown Boston and two in South Boston.
The mezzanine provides access to the parking structure via a bank of escalators that rise directly from the mezzanine to each of the third, fourth, and fifth floors of the parking structure. This entrance served the station when it initially opened, while construction proceeded further south. In 1979, the three tracks of the turnback facility were extended south into the old yard, and a pair of island platforms were constructed between them, Stairs at the north end of each platform led to a fare lobby in a small building at street level. Kennedy St.) the platform was used only for discharge of passengers before games and for boarding afterwards. Several stairways plus an escalator and elevator connect each platform to the surface, there is no mezzanine or crossunder. The outbound side originally had several high exit turnstyles, and a single iron maiden for entry. The four towers around the center span give it the appearance of a drawbridge, which it isn't. Cars needing repairs were shuttled along this section under their own power or were towed by a work car.
As part of a reconstruction program, it was demolished, and replaced with a temporary wooden structure at ground level in the middle of Charles Circle. An elevator was added from the south side of the intersection to the lobby for handicapped access.
The westerly stairways from the Washington platforms now lead to high exits into the unpaid area. With no physical connection, passengers changing lines were forced to use paper transfers and venture outdoors to change trains.
A "cleat" type escalator connected a high exit on the south (outbound) platform directly to the same shelter. This provided direct, all weather access to the subway for the first time, although a up and down detour in the existing passageway made for a six stairway trip to your train.
The original lobby was closed and demolished, becoming part of the stairwells to the new facility. An underground loop north of the platform allowed the cars to efficiently reverse direction. Transfers of all kinds were abolished in the 1960s and separate fares collected for every ride. External stairwells were metal clad enclosures, with the upper part enclosed in wire glass.
By the time the curve ends the tracks are pointing almost due west and cross above Adams St. The third platform served cars departing for Andrew via Meeting House Hill (17) and Dudley via Geneva Av. Later in the year, Route 20 was converted from bus to trackless, and restored to the upper level. Up to this point, buses unloaded facing the wall on the upper level, so the MTA tried reversing the traffic flow through the station.
High glazed block walls were built around the remaining stairwells, the fencing was upgraded, new lighting was installed, and the headhouse was removed, replaced with a direct entry stair to the bus loading platforms. This route was converted to buses shortly after Ashmont opened, and operated from Gallivan Blvd. Later, a second bridge was constructed at the south end and the underpass between Radford Lane and Beale St. There are two headhouses at the north and south ends of the six car platform, each located one flight up.
Just south of here the Old Colony resumes single track operation, which will continue until just north of Braintree.
From here south to Furnace Brook Parkway the tracks continue at a consistent grade while the surrounding land slowly drops. The first floor is directly accessible from the local streets, and serves residents of West Quincy. The state highway department took responsibility for building the ramps, and the station's opening was delayed until they were complete.
1s having the side panels extend down between the trucks to reinforce the door openings and hide underbody equipment from view.
These included reversible upholstered transverse seating, forced air ventilation and fluorescent lighting. An openable window behind the operator was designed to allow on-board fare collection, with an eye toward the coming South Shore extension, or a possible extension of the Dorchester line to Mattapan.
Twenty one were retained including all four Braintree cars, but they saw very little use over the next 6 years. The Customer Service Center is located at the Downtown Crossing Station where the Red and Orange Lines cross. You must sign up online at least one month in advance of the month for which you want a pass. If the words "violation" or "expired" appear on the meter, the allotted time has ended and you are expected to move the car or you will get a parking ticket.
The Washington Street Tunnel, opened in 1908, proved that a direct route vastly improved the service operated, and planning began for a line which would be free of sharp curves and served by the largest subway cars in the world. A further addition, built between 1924 and 1928, known as the Dorchester Extension, was the first to reuse a former railroad right of way, and added five stations to the line, all in Dorchester.
The escalators run only in the peak direction; access at other times provided by the stairs and elevator. From here a long sweeping curve to the east by southeast brings both street and subway to Central Sq. There was no permanent fare control, gatemen being stationed at the entrances with fare boxes when trains were boarding. The platforms were originally about 300 feet long, and comfortably handled a four car train.
You had to cross the street, go downstairs, buy your token, go upstairs, cross the street again, walk a half block to the off street bus shelter, go back downstairs, and hope the iron maiden wasn't rusted and painted to the point where it wouldn't turn.
The view is quite scenic here, offering a panorama of the Museum of Science, Bunker Hill Monument, Zakim and Tobin Bridges, and Charles River Park apartments to the north, and Beacon Hill. The westerly stair leads straight up, while the easterly one makes a right hand 90 degree right turn.
East of the highway the concourse has recently been replaced by a new bus tunnel and station serving the Silver Line and scheduled to open at the end of 2004. The original part of the station has a center wall which changes in character depending on what is above. Later a direct entrance into the new Federal Reserve Building was added, along with a passageway under Summer St. An interesting note here is that the tunnels do not cross the Fort Point Channel, they run along its length. After the trackless lines were converted to bus in 1962, traffic flow through the surface shelter was reversed to reduce tie-ups on Dorchester Av. Auxiliary entrances and exits were similarly enclosed, along with a heated waiting room on outdoor platforms. At this point an enclosed stairway led to a walkway over both the subway and Old Colony tracks to a parking area to the east and to Sydney St. The south headhouse was retained and a new concrete passageway was constructed along with a stairway to the second platform. From here, the tracks continue on a tangent for about 1500 feet, and then enter a long curve toward the south by southwest. To accommodate six car trains, each platform was extended about 70 feet on either end in the 1980s, the west extension bridging Freeman St.
Local passengers to and from Mattapan and the Dudley routes had to board or exit at the loop behind the headhouse. The three tracks merge back to two, and they cross a bridge over Gallivan Blvd, curve sharply to the right and enter Codman Yard, the primary storage area for trains operating on the Dorchester Extension.


Immediately, the tracks pass beneath the I-93 viaduct, beneath which are trailing and facing crossovers along with the final connecting switch to the Dorchester Extension, which make up Interlocking 21. The south headhouse is open full time, and includes an exit to the east via a ramp or a few steps to a platform where three bus routes stop. At Billings Road we pass under a pedestrian walkway which marks the site of Norfolk Downs, yet another former Old Colony stop.
Furnace Brook Parkway is crossed on a plate girder bridge while Furnace Brook itself occupies an adjacent culvert. To the east of the station, there is an exit lane for the buses, and a layover area with access back to the platform. Wooden seats all faced a wide center aisle, with sprung steel and porcelain handholds overhead. A new paint scheme, orange with a gray roof replaced the standard "Pullman Green" on the exterior. Other features included 4 circuits of bullseye lighting, two panel outside hung sliding doors, two large picture windows between each pair of doors, six ventilating fans as on the Braintree 0700s and a new paint scheme using the colors of the state flag. Performance was superior to the older cars, and signs with the letters P (power), C (coast) and B (brake) were posted along the line to quietly remind operators how to run them. From almost the beginning the Bluebirds would develop a reputation for being noisy and uncomfortable.
Cars 01500 to 01523 were single unit, double ended cars, while 01600 to 01651 were married pairs, set up in the same manner as the Bluebirds. You may register a bicycle with the Harvard University Police (HUPD) by going in person with the bicycle to Police Headquarters at 1033 Massachusetts Avenue or to 180 Longwood Avenue in Boston. It is this portal's location which required the curves in the Red Line's tunnels north of the station. Named Harvard-Brattle, it resulted in a short extension of the line, and gave passengers a chance to ride over tracks which were seldom open to them over the previous 70 years.
In the late 1970s, the outbound platform was opened up and passengers admitted without charge.
Local streetcar operation in the area was discontinued in 1925, but the tracks were retained until the Orient Heights Shops opened in 1952, eliminating the need for the unusual transfer operation.
An early drawing shows an art deco office tower for the Boston Elevated atop the original headhouse. Two stairs from the northerly platform to the westbound Green Line are opposite each other in an alcove off the platform.
The upper flight of the southern stairway matches that of the northern one, but the lower flight is divided into three sections each on a slightly different heading. An abandoned electrical substation occupies the final segment of the concourse, which was by now over 25 feet high.
It varies from a low wall with columns under the original fare lobby to a solid wall under the substation. As at Broadway, a small fare control served walk-in passengers, but the entrance here opened onto the sidewalk of Dorchester Av., a much friendlier configuration. The roof of the subway rises above the surface, but the tracks remain enclosed until a short distance east of Dorchester Av. Next, new fare controls were constructed at the bottom of the ramps at either end of the station, and the platform level fare control was closed. From the landings, a pair of stairways rise into the headhouse, where the fare control lies just inside the east facing entrance. 80 foot platform extensions were constructed at the south end of the station in the 1980s to accommodate 6 car trains. All tracks in the yard end at bumping posts, except the northernmost which loops around the yard and rejoins the main ladder track. The tracks now rise onto a steel and concrete bridge which carries us over the Old Colony's single track main, and we return to grade and pass beneath Savin Hill Av.
Back in 1960, a fire under the south approach to the drawbridge located here, insured that the New Haven, owner of the Old Colony, would never resume commuter rail service, setting in motion the chain of events leading to the construction of the South Shore Extension. A few more steps take one down to a huge parking lot occupying most of the triangle formed by Hancock St., East Squantum St.
Only the 217 from Ashmont officially calls here, stopping on Beale St., a block north of the station, Two other buses stop nearby, the 212 at Beale St.
Quincy Center is a terminal point for Routes 210, 211, 212, 214, 215, 216, 220, 221, 222, 225, 236, 238 and 245, all of which are former Eastern Mass services. East of the latter is the Braintree Wye, where the Old Colony Main connects to the Greenbush Branch and the Fore River RR.
The extension would remain on the drawing boards for another 19 years, and the four cars would soon be lost among their 151 brethren.
Sixteen cars were retired in 1969, and were moved from Eliot Yard to Codman Yard for storage.
This project, which took almost 20 years to plan and another 20 to construct, added five stations, four in Quincy and one in Braintree.
The inner surface of the station tube is covered with perforated metal panels, painted an off white. Although both portals have been rebuilt due to development at the south end and subway construction at the north end, most of the tunnels and platforms between are the original 1912 construction, The lower level serves southbound buses and is divided into loading and unloading zones as is the upper level. It is distinctive in its lack of a curtain wall or any division between the tracks with the exception of a few columns in the stations. Harvard-Brattle was closed when the present Harvard Station was opened, and was demolished.
Although temporary, the station had a very finished appearance, with brick floors and red matte tiled walls. Both platforms were extended to the west in the 1980s, and now measure about 440 feet and can handle 6 car trains.
The Alewife extension finally increased outbound traffic enough to warrant a full time fare control. In season, the Charles River, filled with many boats and bounded by parks adds a stunning vista on both sides.
The middle section of about 180 feet has a pair of high arched ceilings which each cover a track, one side platform and half the center platform.
A wide stair from the top of these faces south and emerges at the far north tip of the Green Line platform. Under to Washington (Downtown Crossing) has a center wall running the entire distance, all of a block and one-half, and a short southerly curve entering the platform. The Winter Street Concourse which is within fare control, connects the Winter platform to the head of the stairs leading to the center platform at Park St.
A hatch in the ceiling was used to bring materials to and from the substation, which had no other access. One more flight of stairs connected up to the third platform, on the surface in a wood sheathed shed in the middle of the approach to the Broadway Bridge. Most of the connecting stairs were boarded up at this time though one remained useable for the huge crowds which descended on the station after the annual St. At the north end of the new platform a high exit leads to a stairway connecting to the Columbia Rd.
Finally there was Route 18, which connected Fields Corner, Savin Hill and Uphams Corner via Dorchester Av. Next, on Memorial Day Weekend, the roof and upper sidewalls of the building were demolished, leaving the platforms (with the exception of the extensions, completely exposed to the elements. The stairwells offer a glimpse of the original platform walls, plastered concrete walls with cutouts for advertising placards. Other than the Shawmut and Ashmont headhouses, the only building above the subway is an elderly apartment building occupying the spot where the two avenues divide.
Ramps carried the car tracks up and over the subway in a loop at the north end of the station. A gentle easterly curve starts at a bridge over Freeport St, and at the site of the Old Colony's former Harrison Sq.
Most of the buses pull into the loading area, discharge their passengers, pull into the layover area, and then return to their berth to load. All cars had a monitor-arch roof, with the carlines bent to form the shape of a raised monitor. These provided enough equipment to operate the line until 1918, when operation to Andrew began.
New lighting was installed in 150 cars in the early 1950s, this time PCC style bullseye incandescents. Their interior had one saving grace, it was bright and cheerful, a trait not found on any of the present Red Line cars.
The final addition, the Northwest Extension added only three new stations, two in Cambridge and one in Somerville, but required the relocation of the original Harvard terminal, and the construction of two temporary stops. A combination of descending track grade, and rising local topography place the roadbed low enough for deep bore tunneling at the east end of the platform and this method is used for the next two stops. The only hint remaining is the concrete wall at the top of the portal, with the cast in lettering "Boston Elevated Railway - 1912". The station was last used in the 1960s, and demolished after the shops were closed in the 1970s. When the new station opened, the Harvard-Holyoke platforms were bricked up and are now used for storage. Another set of high exits at the west end of the extensions emerge just west of Prospect St. Later, a mirror image of the inbound facility was provided, and the bus terminal was abandoned. A former tower, once in the tunnel now stands above the platform at the west end of this section. Lastly, the connection from the north platform to the northbound Green Line is a single narrow stairway, with three short flights and a brief connecting passageway. For the purpose of clarity, I will refer to the stations at this location by their original names, Washington (Red Line), Summer (Orange Line northbound) and Winter (Orange Line southbound). The next change occurred at platform level where the platforms were extended 60 feet at each end. The ramp was originally flanked by two low retaining walls, of which only the westerly example remains today. At the south end an elevated junction sorted out arriving cars from the surface from those arriving and departing from Mattapan.
Beneath the northerly bridge approaches lies the site of the Old Colony's former Neponset Station.
The tracks enter a deep cut, and curve slightly to the south as we pass through Interlocking 23, which consists of facing and trailing crossovers.
Route 245 is an exception, it unloads at the Burgin Parkway entrance, and lays over there before pulling around to the loading platform. East of the wye, the tracks curve back to the southeast, passing under the highway and enter Braintree Yard an Old Colony facility used for marshalling local freight.
Wartime priorities delayed delivery of the new cars then on order, and some elevated cars operated here for a short time.
At the operating ends, the stripe widened to fill the space from the floor to the roof line. A low center wall with columns divides the tracks in the original section of the station only. Since passengers were challenged here, it was only appropriate that the motorman were too-- the platforms were 270 feet long, ten feet shorter than a four car train! In the 1980s, the platforms were extended west onto the bridge about 120 feet, the extensions being quite narrow and without shelter. This section was cut with a roof shield, and sloping downward, slowly curves to the east, passing under many residences and the State House.
Prior to being opened to the public in the 1980s, the passageway was used as storage space and for offices, some of which still remain along the south wall. The platforms were extended about 120 feet to the east, with the extensions being somewhat narrower then the original portions. The eastern extension included a short piece of center wall from the original tunnel, while the western extension has no center wall. This line ran from Nelson & Norfolk to Dudley Station via Norfolk, Washington and Warren Sts.
The view from this bridge is second only to that from the Longfellow, and includes many pleasure craft, a salt marsh, and the Boston Skyline in the background.
The north headhouse is open from the start of service to 7 PM, and features exits to the Hancock St. Some distance further south we enter the current Quincy Adams station which stands at the point where Burgin Parkway diverges from the right of way opposite the intersection of Federal and Independence Avs. Within the yard area there is a siding off the Red Line tracks extending far enough to store a six car train on either side of a single crossover from the northbound main.
Lighted destination route and number signs were located above the end doors and side windows. Car 0747, which had been heavily stripped, and not considered safe to be towed through the subway, was left at Eliot, and would be scrapped along with the shop in the late 1970s.
Stations on the extensions were opened as they were completed, with the maximum number opened at any one time being 3.
An escalator from the upper bus platform ascended in the space between the two stairways, ending at street level on the opposite side of the shelter.
This was not a major problem for the original fleet, where the first door was about 5 feet in back of the cab, but when the 01400 cars arrived in 1962, their first door was right behind the cab, making pinpoint stops a necessity. Finally the escalators at Chauncy and Hawley Sts., the last of the ancient, sharply inclined "cleat" type, were replaced with more modern "step" types. Due to clearance problems a trailing crossover was moved from the east side of the station to the west side. Broadway was unique in that with so many provisions for paid passengers, no consideration was given to pedestrian entry. The final change at this station came in the 1990s, when again, public demand persuaded the MBTA to add a stop here on the revived Old Colony Commuter Rail line, The platform lies east of the Old Colony track and is long enough for 5 85 foot cars. In the early 1960s, the bus routes serving here were altered, with Routes 12 and 18 being combined into the present Route 18 from Andrew to Ashmont. The rather spacious headhouse is now the only survivor of those built with the line in 1927 and 1928.
Inside the turnstyles, separate stairways led down to passageways which flanked the tunnel. We descend to a brief cut, passing under Quincy Shore Drive, and through the site of Atlantic Station on a southerly curve. Exiting the yard, the Old Colony briefly becomes double tracked, and enters Braintree Station. In keeping with established practice the communicating doors between cars were not open for passengers use, but could be replaced with an open grate for summer ventilation. The work train would survive until the early 1980s, when it would be replaced by 01100 cars from the Orange Line. A high exit turnstyle on the upper level led to an exit on the north side of Massachusetts Av. With the train stopped correctly, both the motorman and the guard in the fourth car were in the tunnel. Thick beams at ceiling height support the original tunnel arch above the tracks and center platform. Both outside platforms at track level continue to a high exit about 20 feet east and under the fare lobby.From here, escalators lead directly to the surface north and south of the respective stairways. Those wishing to enter on foot had to brave the streetcars and other traffic in the busy intersection, and enter through a small door between the tracks leading into the shed, where a limited fare control greeted them.
When the work is complete, buses will unload on the site of the original bus platform, and the fare control will be in about the same location as the original fare control. After passing under the streetcar loop the tunnel and passageways emerged above local ground level, and the dividing walls ended, forming the north end of the platforms. The Red Line tracks encounter Interlocking 26, with facing and trailing crossovers, cross the bridge over Union St. Guards would use these doors to reach their control station between the cars, where 6 push buttons on each car would activate the individual passenger doors. Finally, in the late 1950s, several cars were repainted into the orange and gray scheme adopted for the Main Line Elevated.
Car 0753, in the orange and gray scheme, was moved to Maine in 1983 to join 0719, and the other three would follow some years later to serve as mobile storage.
These were excavated from beneath plaster installed in a 1970s remodeling, and are somewhat worse for the wear, but they are the only name tablets visible on a Red Line platform today. The extension constructed in the 1980s, was to the west, like Central, and brought the length to 440 feet, comfortable for 6 cars.
Originally this was entirely a paid area, with a south side fare control at the west end and a north side fare control at the east end.
The southbound track here is on its original alignment, but the northbound track ventures east and rises to allow the outbound track to Braintree to pass underneath. Artists conceptual plans show a bus loading platforms at track level, and stainless steel canopies over the platforms, but much is left to the imagination. About 75 feet later the streetcar ramps reached the grade of the platforms and the main shelter began.
West of the station the tracks curved to the southwest and leveled out into a turnback facility, which then exited a portal into the Eliot Shops.
The granite walls around the stairways at street level are gone, though, replaced by low iron fences.
New fare controls, spacious and at platform level are located near the middle of the extensions. The stairs from the south platform were always within the paid area, but those from the north platform originally ended at a high exit into the unpaid side of the lobby due to a lack of space. Four stairwells, two for each platform, connect the concourse with the Washington platforms. The switches connecting the Braintree line are located at the top of the ramp from the tunnel, and are followed immediately by a scissors crossover to the westernmost lead from the Cabot Yard.
The neighbors got what they wanted, as the changes sent ridership in the area into a downward spiral. Fare control was at the bus stop on the lower level, and there were two crossunders here, one unpaid with a high exit down from each platform, while the second served as the paid entrance to the upper platforms. The shelter over the three streetcar loading platforms was somewhat shorter than that over the rapid transit platforms, allowing for the curves which took the cars out to Dorchester Av. Harvard was replaced with Harvard-Holyoke to enable the construction of the curve leading to the present Harvard. Instead of giving the connecting station a new name, the word "Under" was appended instead, creating a unique identity for the station, but reducing the confusion caused by multiple names. This yard lead was originally a freight siding which dodged around the subway portal so serve some customers near Columbia Rd. The unpaid crossunder continued to the headhouse which was only a facade extending from the north wall facing Charles St. At the south end of the platforms, high exits opened into walkways which led to Radford Lane and Beale St. The next order of cars was delivered in 1927 for the Dorchester Extension and featured many changes while appearing identical to their predecessors. A small portion of the original platform exists at the east end of the curve on both levels, but is difficult to see in the dark tunnel. The westerly pair connect at the landings to direct entrances to the sub-basements of Filenes and Jordan Marsh (now Macy's).
From here the tracks curve to the south, and after a facing crossover, we pass under Columbia Rd.
Bus passengers were required to use a paper transfer here, while car riders walked across the platform, unencumbered by obstructions. Three mechanical musical sculptures, operated by levers on the platforms, occupy part of the remaining space between the tracks.
The west end fare control was part of the Summer station and extended about 40 feet along the concourse. The doors were hung outside the carbody, eliminating the pockets which tended to fill with debris and snow. There was a two flight stairway to the corner of Summer and Washington Sts to the west, and a single flight up to a landing to the east.
No accommodation was made for bus passengers, as there were no bus lines serving Ashmont at the time. The landing also served an exit stair from Summer, a flight up to the surface, and a flight down to Filenes main basement. Down at platform level, an escalator leads directly from a high exit on the north platform to Hawley St.. The one drawback in these changes was the lack of a facility for buses to load and unload but this was quickly rectified. The busway was at the same level as the roof of the original station, and included a passageway atop the shelter leading to stairs down to the subway and streetcar platforms. The bus platform was the same length as the streetcar platforms, and included its own fare control at the end of the passageway. Buses entered from the south end on an elevated ramp and departed from the north end at street level. The platform area was wide enough for buses to pass each other, and the west side was enclosed by a wall of glass.



Model trains made in germany
Subway in new york images today



Comments to «Train line boston to new york»

  1. STRIKE writes:
    The space for lots of presents support to make.
  2. Anjelika writes:
    Interest is to fill their personal rosters for their own can make your N-scale layout.
  3. WENTWORTH writes:
    Manufacturers for smaller model branched out.
  4. f_a_r_i_d writes:
    Sponsored 2010 High Wheeler Model Train managed some time to do test much less often seen.