Building a shed yarra ranges qld,making sofa in autocad,building a coffee table base wood,garden bench on sale - Easy Way

08.02.2014
Alan Dickson was the designer and Marnie Macdonald took the project through from design to completion. Much of this information has been catalogued and is available for access by researchers and the general public.
The collection indexed below comprises letters and other documents dating from the formation of the St Kilda municipality in 1857 up to the 1930s. Under each subject heading, the individual document has been assigned a sequential running number. Researchers are asked to observe any advice about the handling and photocopying of heritage material. Permission must be obtained from City of Port Phillip Records Management to use original correspondence or other documents in any printed or electronic publication.
The Records Unit manages the archive, providing a daily file retrieval service to council staff and delivering documents to the local history librarian on request. Please direct historical research enquiries to the local history librarian at Port Phillip Library Services, who can search and access material from across the council collections. The City of Port Phillip holds many of its own records but some items have been transferred to the Public Record Office Victoria. 21 July, 1868 Henry G Turner - Chairman of Trustees enclosing copies of correspondence between the Public Works Department and the Trustees concerning the closing of the Cemetery against further Interments and suggesting the Council take steps to obtain the views of householders in St Kilda. 27 May, 1863 Private Secretary to Governor acknowledging the Council's congratulations to HRH Princess of Wales upon her marriage.
The buildings from our recent industrial past can offer some exciting new places for the future, with a heritage character and sense of place. Defined as brownfields in urban planning terms, these sites are often positioned in areas that have transport infrastructure in place, but which offer other challenges. But the current agenda around sustainability could make the possibility of regeneration more competitive.
Some of these spaces are quite daunting in scale, due to the nature of the activities they originally housed, and this can offer a challenge as well as an opportunity for new functions and activities. Globally, brownfield regeneration has reinvented cities and created new cultural quarters, which in turn has had a positive effect on the surrounding economy. As well as the architectural and urban context of the projects, the stories of the development of the sites themselves offer an insight into how new communities, often creative groups looking to work and co-locate, have colonised these sites and encouraged new cultures to develop and flourish. In 2002, artists and photographers used the curved roof of the factory to create a distinctive gallery and cafe. Across the harbour from Central Amsterdam station, the Nederlandsche Dok en Scheepsbouw Maatschappij (NDSM) site was the largest shipbuilding company in the world during the 1930s. This cooperative group encouraged new businesses who need workshop space to literally build their own spaces within the large open boat shed.
Development of our cities is essential, but we need to consolidate our physical communities, when possible, to make services and existing infrastructure more efficient and effective.
Lorraine Farrelly does not work for, consult to, own shares in or receive funding from any company or organisation that would benefit from this article, and has no relevant affiliations.
Discover products that suit your style and create a list of the items you like or want most. Home work: Architect Roger Nelson's renovated three-level St Kilda West home has a roomy interior and a tropics-inspired garden.
Architect Roger Nelson is selling his St Kilda West house, which boasts five bedrooms and bay views.
Nelson is the principal of NHArchitecture, which at present is involved in projects including the redevelopment of the Margaret Court Arena and part of central Christchurch, in New Zealand. The three-level property at 327 Beaconsfield Parade features up to five bedrooms, including one they use as a library, and a loft bedroom, or home office, on the top floor. The first floor features open-plan living and dining areas leading to a balcony and bay views, while the ground floor has a back family room that opens to extensive decking and a tropics-inspired garden with fish ponds.
Builder Renato Virgona, of Virgon Constructions, has listed his riverside Hawthorn house for private sale with an asking price of $3.75 million, after it failed to snag a buyer via expressions of interest.
The former South Yarra home of prolific mid-20th century society architect Marcus Martin will be auctioned at 12.30pm on April 27. The property, 240 Walsh Street, was built by Martin, who died in 1981, as his residence about 1935.
Previously listed for private sale, the property comes with an Edna Walling-designed walled garden and a central feature pond designed by Ola Cohn.
It has five bedrooms, including a separate guest bedroom or retreat with its own balcony, open-plan living and dining area with a central aquarium and a double garage. You might recognise this Brighton property from its appearances in housing magazines and television commercials, including ads for Country Road and Tassal Salmon.
The house of interiors stylist and social worker Jo Neal and her venture capitalist husband John, 1A Wellington Street has been refurbished since they bought it five years ago. Only metres from the beach, the two-storey house has four bedrooms, five living areas and a second-storey deck. The Hawthorn East house of internet pioneers Rod and Liz Keys was designed to provide space between parents and their adult offspring by including a self-contained two-bedroom apartment at the back. The Keys, directors of Total Internet, bought the Victorian-era property at 740 Burwood Road about eight years ago and in 2012 completed the apartment above the carport for the elder two of their three sons. Apartment aside, the main house has three bedrooms, a separate sitting room, open-plan living and a deck. Scott Patterson and Judy Balloch, of Kay & Burton, are overseeing an expressions-of-interest campaign closing at 5pm on May 7. Eye surgeon James La Nauze is selling his inner-city property as he looks to spend more time at his other house in central Victoria. On the 22nd floor of the Nonda Katsalidis-designed Republic Tower, the three-bedroom apartment features a two-storey glass-walled void with city views, a home office or upstairs retreat and two carparks on title as well as access to common facilities such as a gym, swimming pool and sauna. The Scope of Works consisted of Underground Services, Construction of Buildings, Retaining Walls, Fences, Landscaping, Driveways and Road. On the above basis I have no hesitation in recommending Edgebuild for any building project. The blue pictures were taken at New Year when the whole landscape was frozen solid and the sky was clear. So why not give us a call today and we'll put you in touch with a professional builder who can construct that dream carport or shed!
Collectively, this correspondence represents a unique snapshot of the civic concerns of the residents of the St Kilda area during Melbourne's early years of development. If requesting access to a document, please quote both the subject heading and the number in your research enquiry.
You are reminded that it is an offence under the Public Records Act to remove or damage historical records. August, 1857 Report from Public Works Committee to Council recommending an approach to Government for land on North side of Elster Creek and West side of Punt Road (Barkly Street) for an abattoir. September, 1857 Department of Lands & Survey granting permissive occupancy of 2 acres adjacent to Creek (Elster) and on West side of Barkly St for an abattoir in accordance with plan enclosed. 1861 Petition from 167 Butchers and others protesting against Council's intention to prohibit the slaughtering of sheep and cattle on butchers premises and to establish Abattoirs for the purpose.
March, 1861 Department of Lands & Survey site temporarily reserved for an abattoir and gazetted on 31st May 1861. August, 1862 Department of Lands & Survey notifying gazettal of 2 sites permanently reserved for abattoirs.
July, 1864 James Osborn of Bleak House, North Elwood protesting against the stench from slaughter yards (Abattoirs). July, 1864 Department of Lands & Survey advising that a Grant has been made to Council of the abattoirs sites. October, 1865 Town Clerk Brighton applying for permission to use the Abattoirs for the slaughter of cattle from Brighton district. January, 1866 Petition from Butchers complaining of bad state of road leading to the bridge over the creek (Barkly Street now the Elwood Canal).
October, 1866 Town Clerk Prahran suggesting arrangements to be made for butchers from Prahran to slaughter cattle at St Kilda's Abattoirs. August, 1867 Edington Brothers - Lessees asking for a reduction in the abattoirs rent by reason of loss of business through competition from the local Municipal Market.
August, 1868 Central Board of Health report by an officer on sanitary condition of abattoirs and the manure depot.
November, 1868 Department of Lands & Survey asking Council's views on a petition by residents seeking the removal of the abattoirs - also the removal of the Rifle butts. September, 1869 Central Board of Health enclosing memorial from residents complaining of conditions at abattoirs - Board desires to know what action has been taken. May, 1870 Department of Public Works agreeing to receive a deputation urging the installation of a water supply to the abattoirs. July, 1870 From Central Board of Health enclosing copy of plans and specifications relating to abattoirs, stables, cow sheds etc. September, 1871 Edington Brothers - Lessees asking for a reduction in the rent of £200 per annum for the lease of the St Kilda Abattoirs in consequence of a slaughtering licence having been granted at Caulfield.
September, 1876 Robert Edington agreeing to renew the agreement for leasing the abattoirs for a further 3 years from 6th June 1876 at a rental of £216 per annum. November, 1879 Melbourne Water Supply Department agreeing to reduce the amount of the guarantee required for the supply of water to the abattoirs. December, 1883 Central Board of Health enquiring what steps have been taken to abolish the abattoirs.
March, 1884 Central Board of Health notifying that the Board in future will abolish all abattoirs unless they are conducted under official supervision.
April, May and June, 1889 Gannson & Wallace, Solicitors acting for certain St Kilda butchers objecting to the closing of the abattoirs and threatening legal action unless they be reopened.
July, 1858 Town Clerk, Emerald Hill enclosing his Council's resolution suggesting that all Municipalities make some recognition of the part played by the Hon.
June, 1876 Commissioner, Railways & Roads Department notifying that as from 1st July1876 all matters relating to Local Government will be dealt with by the Chief Secretary's office in lieu of his Department.
June, 1872 and February, 1873 Hiram W Paterson putting forward the idea of constructing an Aquarium on the beach if granted a suitable site. March, 1880 George Leeman enquiring the views of the Council on his proposal to establish an Aquarium and suggesting a site on the Alfred Square Reserve Upper Esplanade. January, 1890 Department of Lands & Survey advising that the Aquarium Company will be requested to consent to proposals conveyed in the Council letter of 17th January 1890.
March, 1890 Department of Lands & Survey forwarding for perusal a draft lease for an Aquarium to be granted by the Board of Lands and Works and the Council. 1880 Councillor George Pilley (Mayor) submitting on behalf of the Legislative Committee of the Council comments on the Auditors report concerning items of expenditure not authorised by the Local Government Act. June, 1857 Savings Bank Commissioners asking that a notice be displayed on the door of the Court House, requiring depositors in the Melbourne Savings Bank to bring in their pass books for examination. October, 1864 Stanford Smith asking permission to leave in the Town Hall a small iron safe containing the books of the St Kilda Penny Savings Bank.
April, 1867 Manager Oriental Bank Melbourne notifying that after the 30th April interest will not be paid on the Council's current account but only on sums placed on deposit.
February, 1869 Oriental Banking Corporation acknowledging the Council's letter terminating its association with the Bank.
February - December, 1856 Melbourne City Council and the Surveyor General copies of correspondence re the location of the Bathing Ship at St Kilda and its rightful anchorage and its encroachment on the area reserved for ladies bathing. October, 1857 Department of Lands & Survey re Kenney's application to extend Bathing Ship site. December, 1857 Department of Lands & Survey re Kenney's new Bathing Ship site and the boundaries of cattle grazing areas.
June, 1858 Department of Lands & Survey Mrs Ford's and Mr Jackson's baths not permitted to have a restaurant. August, 1858 St Kilda Sea Bathing Co with reference to the planting of trees on the slopes between the Upper and Lower Esplanades and asking that provision be made for a pathway to its establishment where previously a gateway had been in existence in the fencing along the upper roadway. August, 1858 St Kilda Sea Bathing Co agreeing to pay half cost of forming a pathway to its Baths from the Esplanade across the plantation on the slopes.
February, 1859 Department of Lands & Survey conditions of baths and their occupancy and approaches to baths.
January, 1860 Department of Lands & Survey list of occupants of Crown lands on beach - bathing sites and fishermen. November, 1861 William Kenney asking permission to remove his Ladies Baths known as "The Pavilion Baths" and to erect new baths between the "Victoria Ladies Baths" and the baths occupied by Mrs Ford. November and December, 1861 Thomas Leggett (Lessee St Kilda Bathing Establishment) concerning his request for permission to erect a new Ladies Bathing House, his application having been made before one now before the Council by William Kenney, who claims his ship baths are now silting up. January, 1864 Department of Lands & Survey all licensees required to conform to Council regulations. February, 1864 Women bathers at Hegarty's baths asking that a screen be erected as they are annoyed by men bathing in the nude in the baths adjoining. February, 1864 Council to Captain Kenney requiring him to improve appearance of Bathing Ship baths and to screen bathers from public view. September, 1864 J Hegarty replying to Council's request that a screen be erected to screen bathers from public view.
September, 1864 Department of Lands & Survey no further licences will be issued until screens erected to hide bathers from public view. September, 1864 W Kenney on the subject of screening bathers from public view at his "Bathing Ship" baths. September, 1864 George L Headen on the subject of screens in his baths under construction to provide that females will be effectively hidden from public view. November, 1864 W Kenney advising that screens have been erected to shield bathers from the view of the public on the Esplanade and Fitzroy Street and that shortly most of the old work now standing will have been removed so that the entire baths will be new. December, 1864 Department of Lands & Survey Kenney's Victoria Baths to be pulled down or satisfactorily repaired.
March, 1865 Department of Lands & Survey does not consider it expedient to grant Council control over beach frontages.
March, 1865 Borough Surveyor report that Mrs Ford has now repaired her baths according to plan. August, 1865 Department of Lands & Survey notifying that Mr Hegarty has no authority to extend his baths.
October, 1866 William Kenney asking that a pathway be made to the Lower Esplanade from his Ladies Baths to afford easier access both to the baths and the beach. October, 1867 W Kenney enclosing sample of "coal tar" found at the foot of his bathing Jetty and suggesting its possible usefulness for road making purposes. June, 1872 W Kenney replying to certain statements by Councillors appearing in the press and asking the Council not to support any application by another party to secure a site for another bathing establishment on the beach. June, 1872 Department of Lands & Survey asking Council's views on applications for sites to extend their baths by Kenney and St Kilda Sea Bathing Co. July, 1873 Department of Lands & Survey - objection by W Kenney to any site extension being granted to St Kilda Ladies Sea Bathing Co. October, 1873 Department of Lands & Survey - two letters advising that Captain Kenney has been given permission to extend his "Bathing Ship" baths on the understanding that he effectively screen them from the pier. July, 1874 Town Clerk St Kilda reporting on an inspection of Captain Kenney's Bathing Ship baths in the presence of Lands Department and Harbor officials showing work done which did not conform to sketch plan submitted by Captain Kenney to Department. July, 1874 Department of Lands & Survey - two letters agreeing not to grant permission for Captain Kenney to make alterations or extensions to his "Bathing Ship" baths until the Council's views have been submitted to the Minister.
January, 1890 Department of Lands & Survey saying the Council's and the ratepayers' objections to any extension of Kenney's Bathing Ship baths will be considered and subsequent correspondence relating to the terms of his lease. January, 1890 Department of Lands & Survey acknowledging the Council's letter relating to bathing sites on the foreshore. October, 1890 Premier's Office forwarding letter from the Agent General's office, London with reference to the Council's enquiry concerning bathing establishments in England and the Continent. December, 1891 Premier's Office enclosing letter from the Mayor of Le Havre on the matter of bathing places in France. April, 1901 Captain William Kenney - his own complete story of the origin of the bathing ship baths and subsequent events from 1853 to the present (1901). July, 1913 Newspaper articles on the subject of the Council's proposal to purchase the three baths on the foreshore - Kenney's Ladies Baths, Hegarty's Baths and the St Kilda Baths Pty Ltd structure. February, 1858 Crown Lands Office replying to Councillor Cowderoy's protest concerning the erection of tents and other structures on the St Kilda beach and at the conduct of Chinamen occupying them.
June, 1857 Petition from William Kenney to be allowed to land coal on beach alongside his Bathing Ship for supply to local inhabitants and supporting letter from Florence Gardiner and Messrs David and William Hamilton asking for the same privilege. April, 1885 W Murray Ross suggesting the erection of a wicker-work pallisading seaward of the shoreline from Point Ormond northwards and the area enclosed (as shown on plan) be used as a Marine Park and pleasure ground which together with the filling of the Elwood Swamp and the building of his proposed Railway from Elwood to St Kilda would enhance property values. May, 1860 Donald McKechnie having opened an oyster bar at the Esplanade asks permission to form an oyster bed between the Bathing Company's baths and the pier. November, 1886 Residents petitioning for a public meeting to devise a means of alleviating the stench from rotting seaweed on the beach.
November, 1888 Department of Lands & Survey asking the Council's views on an application by a NSW company for a site on the foreshore reserve between Fitzroy Street and the Beaconsfield Hotel to erect a Toboggan, Rink and Switchback and objection to the proposal lodged by residents in the vicinity. October, 1865 G W Rusden claiming to be the originator of the introduction of sparrows to Victoria from China and asking that steps be taken to protect them from destruction because of the benefits derived therefrom.
October, 1883 Frederick Brooke asking permission to erect a boatshed on the beach adjacent to the main drain outlet. 1884 Frederick Brooke refuting an allegation that the building proposed to be erected on the beach will be used to "build" boats, but is required as a "boat shelter". May, 1884 Department of Lands & Survey enquiring the Council's views on the application by Frederick Brooke for a site on the South Beach for a "Boat shelter". July, 1859 Chief Secretary advising that the petition of householders in portion of Caulfield Road District to be united to St Kilda has been published in Government Gazette of l9th July, 1859. August, 1859 John S G Webb writing from "Owensville" (the name of the area prior to its naming as "Ripponlea") as chairman of the Caulfield District Separation Committee notifying that a Public Meeting will be held at the Elsternwick Hotel, Brighton Road, to discuss separation from Caulfield and annexation to St Kilda.
June, 1870 Thomas Dickson advising that the Chief Secretary (Sir J McCulloch) has deferred his decision on the annexation of North Elwood to Borough of Brighton until result of the application for its annexation to St Kilda is known.
June, 1875 Department of Roads and Railways indicating that the Caulfield Council does not wish to express any opinion on the subject of the inclusion in its area of land formerly under the control of the Caulfield Roads Board but subsequently separated from it, but believes a petition is now being prepared for the area to be restored to Caulfield. March, 1876 Government Gazette re defining the boundaries of the subdivisions of the North and South Wards of St Kilda consequent upon portion being annexed to Caulfield.
March, 1879 Petition from Ratepayers dissenting from proposed severance of portion of West Ward and annexing same to Emerald Hill, preferring to remain part of St Kilda Borough.
March to May, 1879 Correspondence between Council and Chief Secretary relative to the order severing the area north of Fitzroy Street between the Bay and St Kilda Road from St Kilda and annexing the same to the Town of Emerald Hill. September, 1881 Secretary Public Works Department drawing attention to Notice in Victorian Government Gazette for the severance from Town of Emerald Hill and transfer back to St Kilda, the area north of Fitzroy Street - previously severed. April and May, 1879 A W Fraser correspondence relative to the replacement of the old Municipal boundary post at the corner of Brighton (St Kilda Road) and High Street.
October and November, 1868 Chief Secretary advising gazettal of borough into three wards the North, South and West Wards. May, 1864 Town Clerk Melbourne asking the Council's cooperation in the proposals to gain Government approval for a new bridge across the Yarra from St Kilda Road and in line with Swanston Street and the removal of the old Princes Bridge. October, 1877 Town Clerk Melbourne inviting the Council to join a deputation to the Chief Secretary for moneys to be placed on its estimates for a bridge over the Yarra in line with Swanston Street. February, 1881 Town Clerk Melbourne enclosing decision of conference on the building of the new bridge (Princes) suggesting the Government be asked to increase its contribution to one half the cost.
December, 1857 Crown Solicitor replying to the Council's enquiry and stating it is not the Government's intention to take immediate steps to introduce a Bill in the nature of a Suburban Building Act. September, 1858 Henry Baldwin with reference to a house built by him in Southey Street facing a Government Reserve at the corner of Southey, Tennyson and Byron Streets and asking that a street be formed from Southey Street to Tennyson Street so that he will not be closed in (sketch plan enclosed). October, 1858 Municipal Conference Delegates resolution adopted by delegates from Suburban Councils to consider means of resisting charges made by Melbourne City Council for licenses to Cab Proprietors. May, 1858 Office of Roads and Bridges advising that a cab-stand will be formed near the Junction Hotel.
September, 1858 Sydney W Smith Town Surveyor reporting on a site for a cab-stand corner St Kilda Road and Fitzroy Street and submitting sketch. March and April, 1859 Cab Proprietors petitioning for the appointment of four additional stands to the only one at the St Kilda Junction.
April, 1872 Cabmen petitioning for the appointment of a cab-stand at the intersection of Chapel Street and Dandenong Roads near the Star and Gippsland Hotels. February, 1876 Grand Victorian North Western Canal Co copy of memorial to the Government for a subsidy in connection with its proposal to make a canal from the Goulburn to the Loddon rivers. April, 1857 Town Clerk East Collingwood seeking co-operation in a proposal that a Carters Licence issued by any Council should be operative for whole Metropolitan area. October, 1861 Petition from Cartage Contractors asking to be given cartage work at the Council's disposal. November, 1857 Town Clerk Emerald Hill enquiring the Council's views on the desirability of joint action to prohibit cattle slaughtering on butchers premises. November, 1861 Town Herdsman (James Beagley) asking for instructions in actions against persons having more than the statutory number of bullocks and cows and drawing attention to the need for preserving the trees planted on the slopes (between the Upper and Lower Esplanades).
October, 1862 Ratepayers and Cowkeepers asking that a watering place be provided on the cattle run and suggesting a wooden spout be connected to Yan Yean water supply in Acland Street near the Main drain. May, 1863 Gleeson and Drummond seeking a refund of pound fees paid in respect of bullocks grazing on the St Kilda Cricket Ground area.
April and May, 1858 Town Clerk Prahran suggesting a joint approach to the Government for obtaining a share in the management of the St Kilda Cemetery.
December, 1859 Chief Secretary advising that the Commissioner of Crown Lands will consider the Council's request to have some control over the Cemetery.
December, 1859 Department of Lands & Survey matters relating to the control of the St Kilda Cemetery are being considered.
January, 1860 Department of Lands and Survey advising it does not consider control of St Kilda Cemetery should be given to Council. January, 1860 Department of Lands & Survey notifying it has no objection to Council being represented on St Kilda Cemetery Trustee Board. March, 1860 Department of Lands & Survey Governor-in-Council has approved of the appointment of two Council representatives on St Kilda Cemetery Trust. January, 1861 Department of Lands & Survey requiring the names of the Council's two representatives on the St Kilda Cemetery Trust for inclusion in the Deed of Grant. September, 1861 Secretary Trustees St Kilda Cemetery applying for a grant towards forming and metalling approaches.


August, 1868 Town Clerk Prahran indicating willingness to join St Kilda in a deputation to the Public Works Department against the request by some residents to close the Cemetery. August, 1868 Secretary St Kilda Cemetery Trustees notifying that the deputation will be received by the Public Works Commissioner on 3rd September 1868. January, 1869 Secretary St Kilda Cemetery notifying receipt of advice from Minister of Public Works that the request by residents for closing the Cemetery has been refused.
July, 1879 Report of Conference of delegates from City and Suburban Councils on the subject of a site for a new Metropolitan General Cemetery and recommending approval of the land reserved by the Crown at Frankston as opposed to land in Dandenong Road, Springvale or the Police Paddock at Dandenong.
September, 1867 Royal Reception Committee seeking local information concerning the Borough and the Council's co-operation in the reception to HRH the Duke of Edinburgh and printed acknowledgment of various letters and resolutions expressing horror at the attempt to assassinate him.
March, 1884 Town Clerk Melbourne inviting the Mayor to be present at a meeting to discuss means for recognising the services to the State of HE the Marquis of Normanby prior to his departure.
November, 1890 Arctic Exploration Committee inviting subscriptions to the Exploration Fund and attendance at a Ball in aid thereof. May, 1920 Letter signed by HRH Edward, Prince of Wales acknowledging the Council's Address of Welcome to St Kilda. April, 1863 S P Firebrace, Hon Secretary All Saints Church asking channels be laid on the east side of Chapel Street south from Dandenong Road. July, 1864 Messrs H H & S G Leplastrier and Mrs A Elmes complaining of the water channel on the east side of Barkly Street between Alma Road and Waterloo Street. September, 1867 J Pickersgill advising that a committee has been formed to organise entertainment for local charities and asking for use of Town Hall. June, 1862 Committee and Congregation St Mary's Roman Catholic Church asking that the approach to the front gate from the main road be constructed and the deep water channel be removed. November, 1862 Edward Julian claim for damages on behalf of his child who fell on the shafts of the Council's roller located on land corner Barkly and Inkerman Streets.
November, 1873 Mayor (Councillor W G Murray) report of Council activities during year 1872-73. April, 1858 Councillor Thomas Hale advising by electric telegraph from Ballarat that owing to a coach accident he is unable to attend the meeting.
February, 1859 Benjamin Cowderoy advising inability to attend Council meeting, having been appointed Returning Officer for the first election of Councillors at Brighton.
July, 1891 Benjamin Cowderoy offering a portrait of himself painted from photographs taken at time of his chairmanship of the Council. May, 1932 Unveiling of Memorial Stone on grave in St Kilda Cemetery of Councillor Captain Albert Jacka VC MC on Sunday 15th April, 1932.
January, 1932 Copy of Returned Sailors & Soldiers' Imperial League of Australia (NSW Branch) publication "Reveille" containing obituary of Councillor Captain Albert Jacka VC MC. January, 1882 Copy of letter to widow on the death of Henry Tullett after 24 years as a Councillor. August, 1862 J R Hornby advising his intention to ask the Supreme Court to set aside the election of James McCulloch MLA as Councillor on grounds that the election was irregular. August, 1867 Minutes of Public Meeting of Candidates standing for the office of Councillor.
February, 1870 Extracts from "Prahran Telegraph" case for and Counsel's opinion on the terms of office and dates of retirement of Councillors consequent upon the division of the borough into three Wards.
August, 1873 Hugh Peck concerning his election as a Councillor for the South Ward whilst not qualified to stand and tendering his resignation, also memo from the Town Clerk on the subject of receiving nominations. August, 1873 Macgregor Ramsay and Brake - Solicitors for Mr Ross Watt claiming that as Mr Hugh Peck was not qualified to hold office of Councillor, ouster proceedings would be taken and that Mr Watt should have been elected, he being the only qualified person nominated. June, 1860 Town Clerk Fitzroy seeking assistance in its objective to have the Municipal Institutions Act Amendment Bill altered so that a Councillor will not forfeit his seat if unable to attend Council meetings for specified reason.
February, 1887 Residents of North Ward petitioning the Council not to grant leave of absence to Councillor W H Ellerker to visit Europe because of the importance of subjects under discussion affecting the North Ward. November, 1863 B F Bunny resigning the Office of Mayor of the Borough to prevent any difficulty arising pursuant to the new Municipal Act. July, 1888 Ratepayers asking that the Mayor (Councillor G Turner) be elected to the position of Mayor for another term. August, 1887 Ex Councillor A E Moore acknowledging the resolution thanking him for his services. March, 1859 Resolutions passed at a Public Meeting condemning the appointment by the Bench of Magistrates, of Mr B Cowderoy as Chairman and recommending the appointment of the Chairman of the Council.
April, 1864 F J S Stephen forwarding proposal by Melbourne City Council to play cricket against a team comprising representatives from other Metropolitan Borough Councils. December, 1890 Department of Lands & Survey rejecting the Council's request to erect a Destructor on Crown land at Point Ormond.
November, 1891 Shire of Caulfield concerning its contemplated appeal to the Privy Council against a judgment of the Full Court in a drainage matter.
August, 1857 William Hellins and Charles Palmer objecting to a culvert across Alma Road near Bull Street (now Westbury Street) and being liable to damage their respective properties. October, 1865 C Thomas asking that the Council's demand for the installation of cess pits at the rear of premises in Alma Road be withdrawn.
May, 1857 Petition from 69 residents asking that a system of drainage be provided for the area between Inkerman and Balaclava Roads. October, 1861 D Sutherland - stormwaters run through his property in Carlisle Street coming from properties in Mort Street (Alexandra Street). October, 1864 D Sutherland objecting to the raising of the level of Hotham Street to that of Carlisle Street in the vicinity of his property at the North East corner. July, 1863 Mr R W Nutt complaining of damage to his property "Greenmeadows" consequent upon an alteration in the levels of Balaclava Road.
August, 1864 R W Nutt complaint of Council's action in altering levels of Balaclava Road and thereby causing drainage to damage his property "Greenmeadows" with frontages to Balaclava and Orrong Roads. August, 1863 H I Leplastrier complaining of flooding of his land on West side of Brighton Road north of Scott Street. January, 1863 John Mackenzie denying existence of a drainage nuisance on property in Burnett Street corner Princes and Barkly Streets.
March, 1867 George Brunning - Nurseryman asking permission to lay drainpipes from his nursery South East corner of Inkerman and Camden Streets to connect up with the main drain at Chapel Street.
November, 1874 Chief Secretary's office with reference to works being executed by prison labor on the line of Canterbury Road and particularly the drain improperly formed without the sanction of and contrary to the Council's plans, and stating such drain was formed at the instance of the Victorian Rifle Association but has now been filled up. September, 1862 Ratepayers asking that stormwater channels be laid to drain properties on the east side of Chapel Street between Argyle and Inkerman Streets. June, 1861 Draft letter to Commissioner for Roads and Bridges setting out reasons why the Government should place a sum on its estimates to assist the Council to meet the cost of works essential to the drainage of the district by reason of floodwaters, being diverted through St Kilda from outlying districts. February, 1864 K E Brodribb MP forwarding copies of correspondence with the Chief Secretary rejecting application by Council for Government assistance on drainage works in St Kilda which had been promised by his predecessors. October, 1873 John Currie complaining of drainage in his paddock at "Eildon" Grey Street and seeking an abatement of the nuisance. May 1857 Central Board of Health report by its Inspector of absence of any system of drainage of lands west of Brighton Road (High Street) from the Junction southwards. September, 1857 Central Road Board enclosing letter from James Hanan in opposition to the proposed open mains drain across Brighton Road (High Street). September, 1857 Central Road Board request for funds to construct channels in Brighton Road (High Street) at Alma Road rejected. September, 1859 Sydney W Smith (City Surveyor) showing the location of the open drain in relation to the boundary of Mr Moses Fraser's land off High Street. October 1857 - July 1861 Synopsis of discussions between the Council and the Central Board of Health concerning the draining of lands between the Brighton Road (High Street) and the sea. 1863 Ratepayers petitioning for the regular removal of sand from the main drain to prevent the flooding of streets in the vicinity of High Street until such time as the drain is metalled. April and July, 1867 D Nicholson and J Purves agreeing to sell strip of land to connect up with the main drain. April, 1861 John Morris Contract to cut an open drain from beach to Acland Street and deepen drain to Chapel Street (Main drain). December, 1866 Department of Public Works rejecting request for moneys to complete construction of the Main Drain. October, 1864 Henry F Gurner asking permission to lay a pipe along Princes Street towards Fitzroy Street to drain his new house erected at the corner of Princes and Dalgety Streets. April, 1857 Town Clerk Prahran drawing attention to dangerous state of a culvert in Punt Road. March, 1858 Town Clerk Prahran construction of a culvert in Punt Road opposite Union Street. March, 1859 Councillor Thomas Hale as Chairman report of his sub-committee on the system of drainage as discussed with property owners in East St Kilda and the St Kilda-Brighton Railway Company. September, 1867 Thomas Farrell - City Inspector with reference to drainage nuisance in right of way off Alma Road through to Somerset Street from properties in High Street between Alma Road and Somerset Street.
September, 1872 Moritz Michaelis with reference to the Council's requirement that he drain his property in Robe Street.
June and July, 1867 John D Loch asking that drainage and storm waters be diverted away from his land bounded by St Kilda and Punt Roads and Union and Henry Streets adjacent to the loop railway line to Windsor.
March, 1870 W H Smith agreeing to a drain being laid through his land in Tennyson Street through to Mitford Street (this drain is along the southern boundary of John Street). April and August, 1870 Edmund Ashley agreeing to convey land to the Council for a drain (this drain runs between Tennyson and Glen Huntly Roads in vicinity of Austin Avenue). September, 1869 Registrar - Melbourne University enclosing regulations for examinations for matriculation and enquiring the number of possible candidates from St Kilda.
August, 1872 Secretary Victorian Education League seeking local support for its objectives of compulsory free education for children between ages 6 and 12.
June, 1899 Residents petitioning the Council to convene a public meeting to urge the Government to introduce scripture lessons in State Schools. 1885(?) Committee seeking the support of the Council on a proposal to establish Public Scholarships in connection with the Chair of Music to be formed at the University of Melbourne.
July, 1861 Requisition signed by Electors for calling a public meeting to enable intending parliamentary candidates to put forward their political views.
April, 1860 Electoral lists for the St Kilda West, St Kilda East, Elsternwick Divisions of the District of St Kilda.
May, 1862 Surveyors report on drainage of Southern swamp and recommending deepening the slaughter yard creek and running it under the cliff at Point Ormond. January, 1869 Department of Lands & Survey map showing foreshore reserves from Blessington South set aside for public purposes and also the area known as the Elwood Swamp together with the Abattoirs site. February, 1884 Dr W G A'Beckett Council Health Officer reporting urgent need for reclamation of Elwood Swamp area. March, 1884 Central Board of Health forwarding report by Superintending Inspector on need for reclaiming low-lying land called the Elwood Swamp and the removal of piggery owned by Mr Lyons. April, 1884 Department of Lands & Survey rejecting the Council's application to be given control of the unreserved Crown Lands forming the swamp between Mitford and Barkly Streets from Glen Huntly Road to Dickens Street. October,1885 Department of Lands & Survey intimating that complete levels over the Elwood Swamp and adjacent streets have been completed but before elaborating a scheme of reclamation it will be necessary for the Council to fix the permanent levels of Mitford Street.
July, 1888 Newspaper articles on the subject of the Elwood Swamp and the endeavours of the Council to secure its reclamation. January, 1890 Department of Public Works asking that Glen Huntly is to be temporarily closed whilst the bridge is removed to another location during the work of draining the Elwood Swamp lands. August, 1890 Department of Public Works confirming date of deputation to Minister on subject of reclamation works on Elwood Swamp. March, 1904 Report of Conference on the best means of improving the sanitary condition of the Elwood Swamp. August, 1863 Department of Trade enquiring if there is any demand for labour locally with view to absorbing expected migrants from UK. February, April, July 1863 Municipal Conference office circular letter opposing the report of the Commission of Inquiry into Municipal and Charitable Institutional' on the subject of endowments of land and permanent endowments. October,1861 Thomas Leggett reporting having completed his contract for planting trees and shrubs on the slopes but pointing out that means must be adopted to maintain them and preserve them from the ravages of wandering goats. April, 1857 Sydney W Smith (Council Surveyor) estimating that £800 will be required for streets, roads, and drainage during the present year.
June, 1866 F T Van Berkelaer offering to take photographs of St Kilda for inclusion in the Melbourne Exhibition (Intercolonial Exhibition of Australasia). August, 1872 Secretary London International Exhibition of 1873 forwarding rules and regulations relating to exhibits and a list of Commissioners. December, 1872 Secretary London International Exhibition of 1873 asking for photographs of buildings in St Kilda for an Exhibition to be held in Vienna. December, 1872 Samuel Wilson offering a photograph of his home "Oakleigh'Hall" for inclusion in the Vienna Exhibition.
February, 1873 Secretary London International Exhibition 1873 suggesting that a duplicate set of photographs of St Kilda residences be sent to London Exhibition as well as Vienna. January, 1879 Secretary Paris Exhibition of 1878 re photographs sent for exhibition will, if not claimed be forwarded to proposed Colonial Museum at South Kensington. February, 1871 Melbourne Sewerage and Water Supply branch Public Works Department enclosing map of Borough showing the location of all fireplugs, 42 of which are approved the remainder, not having been applied for in accordance with the Public Works Statute, must be removed. November, 1868 Auditors (Henry Hull & Richard Twentyman) inability to reconcile balance sheet for 30th September 1868 and suggesting improved methods of keeping accounts. November, 1868 Auditor (Henry Hull) refuting certain comments by a Special Auditor" in his report on the Borough's accounts. March,1897 John Hopkins of Carlisle Street, Balaclava petitioning for permission to discharge firearms for the purpose of shooting "shags" which are destroying fish in private and public gardens. July, 1857 Petition from residents supporting motion before Council and asking that £100 be spent in providing an Engine House and Tower for the use of the St Kilda Volunteer Fire Brigade.
June, 1858 William Bencraft, Secretary - Head Fire Station Melbourne offering to provide a fire engine and plant, conditional upon it being available for regular monthly inspection and that the Council be responsible for providing an engine house. May, 1860 Fire Engine Committee first report of Committee on fire fighting equipment available and procedures to be adopted for dealing with fires. September, 1862 Secretary United Insurance Company's Committee setting out the terms and conditions under which it will make available fire fighting equipment and financial assistance to any local brigade formed by the Council.
1863 - 1867 Sergeant Farrell (St Kilda Police) reports on fires in St Kilda attended by the local brigade and fees paid for services rendered thereat. February, 1864 William Bencraft - Secretary Melbourne Fire Brigade advising that in consequence of reductions made by the United Insurance Companies in their contributions, only £50 can be made available to support the local brigade. May, 1864 Rules and Regulations of the St Kilda Municipal Fire Brigade' and minutes of Fire Committee Meeting held 5th May 1864. June, 1865 Superintendent Head Station Fire Brigade advising that the Insurance Company's Fire Brigade Committee has agreed to contribute £50 a year from 1st June towards maintenance of local brigade. January, 1867 Superintendent Insurance Companies Fire Brigade notifying that as the water supply in St Kilda is inadequate during summer, a Fire Engine will be placed in charge of the St Kilda Fire Brigade. October, 1869 Insurance Companies Fire Brigade enclosing copy of the rules and regulations for the management of the Emerald Hill Fire Brigade. May, 1871 Specification of duties of Superintendent of St Kilda Borough Fire Brigade and copy of rules and regulations.
August, 1879 Hy Wilson as Captain of St Kilda Union Fire Brigade applying for permission to use street fire plugs both for practice and to put out fires. August,1881 Report by Fire Brigade Committee that the shed adjoining the lock up and premises in Fawkner Street occupied by the Senior and Junior Brigades are inadequate and recommending their transfer to the building in the Market depot. 1883 Correspondence from St Kilda's Senior and Junior Fire Brigades reporting attendance at fires - equipment required and ultimately the steps taken to place both brigades under one control. December, 1866 Town Clerk Brighton forwarding copy of his Council's resolution concerning the need for the Government to take steps to prevent the flooding of the Yarra.
May, 1873 and February, 1874 George Skinner, Secretary applying on behalf of St Kilda Football Club permission to play on the paddock (Alpaca Reserve) adjoining the Bowling Green, Fitzroy Street. June, 1874 Secretary St Kilda Football Club opposing application by Education Department to erect a school adjoining the Bowling Green in the Albert Park as it would deprive the Club of the ground it has used and cleared. February, 1877 St Kilda Football Club asking permission to fence in the portion of the Alpaca Reserve in the Albert Park used by it for the last four seasons.
1860 and 1861 Town Clerk Brighton forwarding correspondence from Lands Department on the control of beach frontages with view to preventing destruction of trees etc and from Superintendent of Military Works on need for preserving the scrub trees to "enable the effective defence of the harbours". November, 1866 Sydney Smith (Town Surveyor) asking for instructions as to location Council desires fountains to be erected on foreshore.
March, 1859 Police St Kilda reporting action taken against vendors of fruit occupying stands on the Esplanade footpaths on Sundays and holidays. September, 1858 Town Clerk, Ballarat seeking support in its representations to the Government for the appointment of Visiting Magistrates for the purpose of framing regulations for the management of Gaols in their respective districts. August, 1876 City of Melbourne Gas and Coke Co referring to recent proposals discussed by St Kilda and Prahran Councils for the establishment of a Municipal Gas Works and setting out its views and reasons why some dissatisfaction has been expressed at the supplies of gas made available for street lighting and enclosing schedules showing the Company's financial commitments.
October, 1876 Report by Committee recommending a poll of ratepayers on whether the Council should undertake the establishment of a Municipal Gas Works.
January, 1879 Conference of Representatives of Municipal Authorities on the subject of the operation of the Metropolitan Gas Company's Act 1877 in relation to gas supplies in various municipalities.
November, 1892 Town Clerk Melbourne forwarding report of sub-committee appointed by Conference of Municipalities relative to the quality of gas supplies and recommendations in regard thereto. June, 1858 City of Melbourne Gas and Coke Co asking what streets have been brought to permanent levels, as the Company proposes to extend its mains into St Kilda, the first shipment of pipes being daily expected. August, 1858 City of Melbourne Gas and Coke Co advising preparations have been made to lay mains for supplying gas to inhabitants of St Kilda and asking for the Council's approval. September, 1858 City of Melbourne Gas and Coke Co notifying intention to lay mains and pipes in streets identified on plan for the supply of gas to inhabitants. November, 1858 St Kilda and Prahran Gas Co statement by Chairman (Benjamin Cowderoy) on financial and share position of Company at meeting held 12th October, 1858 convened by the provisional Directors.
April, 1859 City of Melbourne Gas and Coke Co promising to furnish the Council with a plan of its mains in St Kilda.
October, 1875 Report of Committees appointed by Prahran and St Kilda Councils to consider the advisability of establishing a joint Municipal Gas Works. November, 1875 Geo Higinbotham opinion on the Council's power to make and sell gas for supply to public lamps and places and to the general public. May, 1862 Department of Public Works agreeing to repair fences round the graves of the "Glen Huntly" victims at the Red Bluff.
1881 Correspondence from a passenger in the ship "Glen Huntly' setting out details of the deaths occurring on the voyage in 1840, the subsequent burials at Point Ormond and the quarantining of all passengers. January, 1863 Geo Brunning of Brighton Road asking permission to discharge a gun to destroy goats damaging the shrubs and flowers at his nursery in Argyle Street east.
December, 1868 Melbourne and Hobson's Bay United Railway Co agreeing to cooperate in steps to suppress the nuisance caused by goats in the Alma Park reserve and railway lands adjacent. August, 1870 Department of Lands & Survey suggesting a by-Law be made for registration and control of goats. May, 1873 Residents South St Kilda drawing attention to the annoyance and damage occasioned by the number of goats wandering apparently without ownership. January, 1858 Town Clerk (D Prophet) St Kilda - circular to ratepayers asking that the rate be paid promptly, as for every pound of current rate not paid, the Council will lose upwards of £2 of the Government's "Grant in aid". November, 1858 Chairman Municipal Conference Office suggested representations be made to local Members of Parliament to secure amendments to the proposal to apportion to Melbourne and Geelong Councils, amounts from Government Grants that would otherwise be distributed to Suburban and Country Municipalities. June, 1859 Statutory declaration by the Chairman of the Council and the Town Clerk as to the amount of rates received from the 1st May 1858 to the 30th April 1859. July 1859 to May 1861 State Treasury method of apportionment and amounts allocated to Municipalities by way of "Grants in aid". February, 1860 Residents of St Kilda requesting convening of a public meeting to protest against Government's refusal to legislate for repayment to the Council moneys expended since 1857 on the "Government Main Brighton Road". May, 1860 James Stewart Johnston MLA acknowledging the Council's thanks for his assistance in obtaining moneys for works carried out.
January, 1864 St Kilda Council to State Attorney General presenting a case for inclusion in the Schedule for a Government endowment those Councils created from 1857 and not on those created in 1855 whose subsidy was reduced. February, 1865 "Granny" advising that her stall on the Upper Esplanade opposite the Royal Hotel was damaged in recent storms and asks permission to re-erect it inside the railings, and subsequent letter thanking the Council for erecting the stall on the new site. September, 1889 Town Clerk Melbourne copy of reply to the President of the Central Board of Health concerning the provisions of the Health Laws Amendment Bill now before Parliament. January, 1890 Chairman, Central Board, Public Health Department thanking the Council for its expressions of good will and for the harmonious relationships between the local Board and the Central Board of Health.
December, 1863 Report by the Local Board of Health in relation to the health of the District for the half year. January, 1864 Health Officer (Dr F T Van Hemert) half yearly report of local sanitary conditions for period ending 31st December 1863 containing statistical information. September, 1864 Dr F T Van Hemert (Health Officer) annual report to 30th June, 1864 including statistics of births, deaths and infectious diseases. November, 1892 Dr W A'Beckett Health Officer comments regarding the report by Dr D A Gresswell on Asiatic Cholera. July, 1863 Dr F Van Hemert suggesting the establishment of a Hospital or Institution where Medical aid and advice may be given gratuitously to the poor. September, 1858 Samuel Morey having obtained a License as Publican at the Inkerman Hotel, he asks for a lamp to be erected at the corner of Inkerman and Balston Streets. March, 1865 Justices - St Kilda certificate authorising issue of a publican's license to Michael O'Connor in respect of the Inkerman Hotel, Inkerman Street.
August, 1860 Sydney W Smith - City Surveyor report on condition of St Kilda Club Hotel, Fitzroy Street building after portions destroyed by fire in October 1859.
September, 1871 Sydney Smith (Borough Surveyor) reporting the condition of the Greyhound Hotel structure formerly the Inverness Castle Hotel corner Brighton Road and Blessington Street.
May, 1870 William Nott complaining of vehicles damaging his property Grosvenor Hotel by deviating from Brighton Road to Brunnings Nursery. September, 1879 Forms of Petition to Parliament stressing the need for the inauguration of a national system of canals throughout Victoria. January, 1865 Town Clerk Melbourne seeking support of the objection to the insertion in the Justice of the Peace laws, a provision depriving the Mayor of Melbourne of the precedence which he now has in Magisterial Courts in the city.
September, 1859 Benjamin Cowderoy declining the Council's appointment to act as Arbitrator in a land compensation claim, the conditions attaching to such appointment, limiting his costs to 6 guineas being unacceptable. August, 1857 Emerald Hill Council seeking support in its request that under the new Lands Bill - the Governor-in-Council has power to grant to Councils unsold Crown Lands within their respective districts.
August, 1865 Council's Solicitors (Brodribb & Co) enclosing conveyance deed (in the form of a Feofment) for execution. June, 1860 Report of Public Meeting held to consider the suggestion that the Council make a contribution of £100 towards the purchase of books for the Mechanics Institute. September, 1860 Mechanics Institute Committee applying for £50 to enable books to be purchased.


October, 1860 Statement by Library Committee report of activities, expenditure and books, papers, magazines purchased. November, 1860 Secretary of the Mechanics Institute acknowledging the Council's offer to vote £500 towards the purchase of land and the erection of a building for a Free Public Library and Mechanics Institute provided the Committee raise a like sum. August, 1861 Memorial from ratepayers risking that a sum of £100 be paid to further the objects of the Mechanics Institute (now nearing completion of the second year of its operations) and supporting application from Its Secretary. January and April 1864 Augustus Tulk, Melbourne Public Librarian concerning regulations for the management of Suburban Free Libraries. March 1864 and October 1869 Melbourne Public Library re the supply of books to the local library and the insurance of books already held.
July, 1864 Walter Wilson (Librarian) reporting attendances at library during month of June 1864. January, 1866 W Wilson (Librarian) report on library attendances from August 1865 to January 1866. July, 1857 Town Clerk Melbourne (E G Fitzgibbon) advising his Council's rejection of St Kilda's request to be supplied with three lamp pillars recently imported but offering to sell other lamps and pillars previously used In the city. August, 18 Copy of Indenture between Melbourne City Council and the City of Melbourne Gas and Coke Co for the lighting of streets and buildings within the limits of the City of Melbourne. May, 1858 Town Clerk - Prahran answering this Council's enquiry as to whether it would join in a move to light Wellington Street and advising that as no steps have been taken to light any portion of Prahran Municipality' the suggestion cannot be entertained.
September, 1859 City of Melbourne Gas and Coke Co agreement to light by gas - 28 lamps and such additional lamps as may be erected from time to time.
February, 1861 City of Melbourne Gas and Coke Co asking the Council not to invoke penal clauses in the contract to supply gas to street lamps as the company was Impeded in making sufficient gas available because of recent floods. July, 1863 T Stocks (Lamplighter) asking the Council to bear part of the expenses of restoring glass and Chimneys of street lamps broken by vandals.
September, 1864 City of Melbourne Gas and Coke Co setting out terms under which it would light public street lamps in St Kilda with gas. March, 1865 Town Clerk Prahran asking for conference with view to improving lighting in Wellington Street and Dandenong Road.
July, 1865 Tennyson Street ratepayers asking for lamps at Intersections of Tennyson Street and Dickens and Milton Streets. August, 1865 Town Clerk Melbourne agreeing to request for lighting St Kilda Road between Melbourne and St Kilda by installing 20 lamps 6 chains apart. June, 1869 Ratepayers petitioning for the re-locating of a lamp in Fitzroy Street and its re-erection at the corner of Fitzroy and Barkly Streets. November, 1866 John Burns re completion of the year's Contract for lighting public lamps and asking for remission of fines imposed when certain lamps were not lit.
February, 1871 Residents in vicinity asking for a gas lamp at or near corner of Barkly and Gurner Streets.
November, 1866 Secretary Royal Commission seeking views of the Council in answer to questions set out. May, 1864 Opinion of Counsel (Mr T H Fellowes) on the Council's liability to contribute its proportion of Gabrielli loan after seceding from the City of Melbourne.
October, 1864 Town Clerk Fitzroy objecting to Melbourne City Council's demand for payment of proportion of commission and exchange on the Gabrielli loan and seeking St Kilda's views on a similar claim. May, 1869 Circular to Ratepayers by the Council information on proposals to borrow money for the purposes set out (66 items) and means of repayment. March, 1888 Council's proposals to issue debentures for a loan of £100,000 from oversees.
August, 1893 Council's reasons for applying to Parliament for authority to vary application of loan moneys. November, 1868 and February, 1869 Central Board of Health complaints of and subsequent decision to remove the Manure depot (adjacent to the Abattoirs). March, 1862 H F Gurner and others requesting the calling of a public meeting to discuss the establishing of a public market in St.
April, 1867 Minutes of Public Meeting held 10th April 1867 enclosing resolutions favouring the establishment of a market within the Borough. May, 1867 Minutes of Citizens Committee Meeting relative to the establishment of a public market. August and September 1867 Minutes of several meetings of the Market Committee relative to the establishment of the Markets including the site etc. September, 1867 Public Meeting resolution approving the action to be taken to establish a permanent public market and asking that action be taken in respect of the site already selected. November, 1867 The Council's "Order" directing the execution of works and the compulsory taking of land to establish the Market - such "Order" duly sealed by the Board of Land and Works. July, 1934 Copy of Deed of Trust issued out of the Supreme Court in the matter of the Trusts of St Kilda Soldiers Memorial Hall. March 1857 and June 1857 G F Verdon, Chairman - Municipal Conference Standing Committee on the matter of the need for a Municipal Institutions Bill for the actual working of Municipal affairs and enclosing copy of by-laws and sundry guide forms. September, 1860 Secretary Municipal Conference asking for the Council's contribution of £5 towards administrative costs.
February, 1890 Ratepayers petitioning the Council to consider the question of having the borough proclaimed a City.
May, 1866 Clerk of the Legislative Assembly evidence given to Parliamentary Select Committee on removal of nightsoil in St Kilda.
1884 Ratepayers - 204 signatures petitioning the Council to examine the patented system of the Domestic Sanitary Company's facilities for the removal of nightsoil with view to its introduction by the Municipality Instead of by a private company. January, 1866 Charles D'Ebro and Co forwarding copy of his proposals for the treatment and removal of Town, Trade, Refuse and Nightsoil. October, 1890 Town Clerk Melbourne suggesting the allocation of numbers to properties in Hoddle Street (Punt Road) commencing at the Junction. October, 1872 R Kimpton agreement with Council on duties of Gardener at Blessington Street gardens and his occupation of the lodge.
September, 1864 Dr F T Van Hemert tendering his resignation as Health Officer owing to pressure of other duties. January, 1868 Dr F T Van Hemert offering his services as Health Officer for the sum of £50 per annum.
February, 1868 Dr W G A'Beckett accepting the office of Health Officer to the Borough at a salary of £20 per annum.
March, 1868 Health Department approving the appointment of Dr W G A'Beckett as Health Officer. January 1858 and February 1860 Department of Lands appointment of Patrick Devereaux as Town Herdsman of the cattle run, also conditions for 1860 license with a description of the area of the Town Common.
March, 1872 Ratepayers petitioning for the permanent appointment of Mathew Lyons as Town Herdsman. April, 1857 Chief Commissioner of Police offering no objection to the appointment of Sergeant Reid as Inspector of Nuisances. October 1864 and October 1867 Chief Commissioner of Police offering no objection to Sergeant Farrell being appointed Inspector of Nuisances and later as Inspector of Slaughter Yards. October, 1873 Chief Commissioner of Police approving the appointment of Sergeant Holmes as Inspector of Nuisances and Inspector of Slaughter Yards.
November, 1886 William Cowper Greaves applying for the position of Inspector to which he was subsequently appointed. November, 1874 W Wilson - Rate Collector and Valuer applying for a salary Increase from £200 per annum for reasons given.
August, 1859 Applications for appointment from J Wigley, C P Purcell, J Tranchard and T Wilson and recommendation from A Michie in favour of Mr Purcell. October, 1864 Mr R E Brodribb notifying his intention to go overseas for 12 months and suggesting his partners be appointed during his absence. January, 1873 K Brodribb resigning from position of Solicitor and recommending appointment of his successor Mr Budd. May, 1873 Vaughan, Maule & Seddon declining the offer to appoint them Solicitors to the Council for a specified purpose only.
February, 1873 Crisp, Lewis & Wilks referring to the resignation of Mr Brodribb as Solicitor and seeking the appointment in his stead. March and April 1884 Joseph Woolf seeking a withdrawal of criticisms by a Councillor on his handling of the Councillor defence in the court action and claim for damages in Newman versus The Mayor. March, 1857 Chairinan (A F Sargood) Prahran Council asking views of St Kilda Council on suggestion that a Surveyor be appointed for the two Municipalities.
March, 1857 Town Clerk (Mr John Craven) Prahran Council advising withdrawal of previous proposal for a Surveyor to serve the two Municipalities. January, 1863 Town Clerk Prahran agree to confer on the subject of having one Surveyor to serve both Municipal Districts.
June, 1882 Department of Lands & Survey conditions under which the Department will accept survey plans prepared by Municipal Surveyors and Engineers. December, 1882 G R B Steane acknowledging and accepting his appointment as Borough Surveyor.
June, 1884 G R B Steane advising that he proposes tendering his resignation as Borough Surveyor as soon as bulk of present contracts for work have been substantially completed. May, 1858 Town Clerk (David Prophet) giving reasons for tendering his resignation from the position.
June, 1858 J Westley enclosing account for his services as Acting Town Clerk since the retirement of the Town Clerk (Mr D Prophet) on 12th May. March, 1880 Geo Sprigg, Town Clerk applying for 3 months leave of absence for health reasons. June, 1878 Henry Hoyt applying for a stand for his Mail Omnibuses at the Royal Hotel Esplanade and corner Fitzroy and High Streets.
July, 1878 Melbourne Tramway and Omnibus Co (per Sydney Smith - Architect) asking for a level crossing in High Street at entrance to the road leading to the Company's property.
September, 1878 Melbourne Tramway and Omnibus Co applying for a temporary stand for 4 wheeled omnibuses at the Village Belle Hotel. April, 1857 Department of Public Works enclosing copy of petition asking that a pier or jetty be provided at St. July 1858 to 1870 Public Works Department re control of the St Kilda Jetty and the expenditure of moneys for its repair and completion. November, 1858 Chairman (St Kilda Council) draft letter to Parliamentary Member seeking funds to carry out the construction of the pier to its agreed length - the existing accommodation being Inadequate.
September, 1859 Sydney W Smith (City Surveyor) giving an estimate of the cost of the proposed extension of the Pier. February, 1873 Secretary Victoria Yacht Club suggesting a Council Committee confer with Club as to best site for formation of a breakwater for anchorage of small craft. July, 1873 Chief Secretary agreeing to receive a deputation on the subject of the construction of a breakwater. October and December 1877 S Cooke (Captain St Kilda Sailing Club) referring to the Government's intention to place on its estimates a sum to extend the St Kilda Pier and seeking support for its suggestion that the scheme embody a breakwater for the protection of small craft and subsequent advice of the Minister's concurrence. June, 1880 Victoria Yacht Club proposing to make representations to the Port to complete the plan of the Inspector of Public Works for extensions to the Pier and the construction of a breakwater appointing Club delegates and asking for the Council's support. June, 1883 Department of Trade and Customs notifying that a recommendation will be made to place money on estimates to extend the Jetty by 300 feet and an extension of 500 feet in a north-westerly direction to form a breakwater. February, 1893 Department of Trade and Customs agreeing to dredge to a depth of 10 feet at the end of St Kilda Pier in accordance with the report of the Ports and Harbours Engineer. June, 1894 Huddart Parker & Co suggested improvements to the St Kilda Pier to give continued encouragement for its excursion steamers to call there and seeking the Council's support in its representations to the Minister for Trade and Customs and enclosing memos from the Captains of the steamers "Hygeia" and "Ozone".
October, 1912 St Kilda Yacht Club enclosing draft agreement with the Council covering its contribution towards the construction of the Breakwater, to cost £7,000. September, 1890 Department of Trade and Customs asking if there is any objection to the granting of an application to berth the old prison hulk "Success" at the north side of the St Kilda Pier till the end of the ensuing summer season. December, 1873 Sydney W Smith (former Borough Surveyor) referring to the Council's proposed by-law to prohibit the keeping of pigs advising the conditions under which he keeps one on his property "Farncombe" Princes Street and asking permission to retain it. November, 1863 Lands Department approving the Council's request for permission to move gravel from the foot of the bluff but not from the crest.
December, 1859 Chief Commissioner Police advising that the Sergeant of Police at St Kilda has been appointed Inspector of Slaughter Yards. Public Works Office notifying plans are being prepared for a lock up and quarters in St Kilda and subsequent advice of their completion. March, 1854 Victoria Government Gazette Proclamation of Melbourne and Districts (including St Kilda) as Police Districts and describing the operative boundaries. October, 1854 Victoria Government Gazette Proclamation of the constitution and appointment of the Court of Petty Sessions to be held in the New Court House at the Police Station St Kilda. January, 1858 Public Works Office agreeing to make provision for the erection of a Court House. March and April 1859 Public Works Office re transfer of Court House and its occupation for temporary municipal purposes. April, 1859 Public Works Office agreeing that the Court House recently erected be conveyed to the Council on condition that the building be made available not only for their own Court but also for a Territorial Court. April, 1859 Crown Law Department on the matter of establishing at St Kilda a Municipal Court of Petty Sessions as distinct from the District Court. July, 1860 Petition to Legislative Assembly praying that the Chairmen of Municipal Councils be given precedence in all Courts of Petty Sessions held within their respective districts. March, 1862 Department of Public Works advising that the Court House has been transferred to the Municipality.
May, 1873 - Chief Commissioner Police Replying to the Council's suggestion that the St Kilda Police Station should be removed to a more central location in the Borough. September, 1878 To the Chief Secretary copy of letter from Justices sitting at Court of Petty Sessions St Kilda recommending promotion of 1st class Sergeant Holmes.
July, 1857 PMG Department seeking interview to discuss arrangements for establishing a carrier delivery service in St Kilda. With some creative thinking and ambition, these sites can be be reinvented as part of the sustainable future of the city. Land may be contaminated by previous industrial uses or require substantial investment to make the site viable for development. Ownership issues can be easier and initial investment to decontaminate land on brownfield areas can be prohibitive. Brownfield sites offer an alternative to new-build projects on sites close to urban centres. But its proximity to Amsterdam, a short ferry trip away, offered a site for a new artist community. The Boat Builders Yard, by 6 Degrees Architects, is originally Shed 4, South Wharf maritime precinct, on the Yarra River in Melbourne.
The project presents a new use for the boat shed, as a bar, but also involves a complementary landscape scheme to redefine the site and pedestrian routes. Each is subject to pressures for development, with different economic and planning constraints and opportunities.
The stories these sites have to tell can themselves become a marketing commodity and add value. It has five bedrooms, three bathrooms, formal and informal living areas as well as a home cinema or rumpus room and a gym. The garden, which has featured in the Open Garden Scheme, includes a trampoline, swimming pool, chicken coop and even a small citrus grove.
Make an Enquiry today!Real Sheds & Barns Pty Ltd - CarportsIf you've been looking around for a professional to build you that new carport or outdoor shed, then the search is over. This index represents just a sample of the historical material available within the City of Port Phillip archive. Note: "Bleak House" was subsequently known as "Wiltonia" on the Ormond Esplanade in vicinity of Bluff Avenue and Wilton Grove.
Captain Clarke MLA (on his departure for England) in securing the passing of the Municipal Institutions Act by which local self-government was established.
S H Bindon asking for use of Town Hall on Saturdays for purposes of the proposed Savings Bank. Subsequently agreeing to receive a deputation from the Council on this subject and the suggested abolition of the St Kilda Pound corner Alma Road and Mort Street.
The proposal being to demolish Kenney's and Hegarty's baths and to erect a new Ladies Baths utilising portion of Kenney's site. Note: It was claimed that coal would be cheaper by avoiding the cost of cartage from Melbourne.
Meeting subsequently held 16th November when it was agreed to interview Minister for Lands with a request that he remit the licence fee required from carters who remove the seaweed from beaches. Secretary St Kilda Sparrow Club seeking financial help in its endeavours to destroy and exterminate the imported sparrow and intimating the extent of its endeavours to date. Note: This reserve is shown on an early plan as extending from Byron Street along Tennyson Street for a distance of approximately 264 feet.
Note: These early conferences by delegates from Councils would seem to be the genesis of what is now known as the Municipal Association of Victoria. Note: These men were the Contractors for ploughing and levelling the ground and grazed the animals in preparation for commencing their work on the day following the seizure. J H Gregory All Saints Church seeking certain improvements on the reserve adjoining the school ground next to the Church.
Melbourne Road, Hotham Street, Jetty, Elsternwick drainage, Post Office, Police Station, Albert Park, Law and Order etc. Note: This is the first advice received from the Commercial Bank after the Council had changed from the Oriental Bank. T T A'Beckett re drainage of Alma Road through his property into Railway property adjoining. Note: The area is believed to be between Inkerman and Carlisle Streets and generally known as the "Balaclava flats". A property owner in Mort Street grows water-cress and has diverted the flow into several streams for the purpose. David Moore with reference to the drainage from his property "Charnwood" and seeking permission to drain into Charnwood Crescent (at present unmade).
1869 Lands Department asking the Council its views on an application by W K Vail to base portion of the swamp lands at Elwood to establish an Equestrian Ground Gymnasium and Sports Ground.
Simon Fraser informing the Council that they have made representations to the State Treasurer who has promised to have a fresh survey made of the Elwood Swamp with view to placing money on the Estimates for purposes of filling the area. Turner) to Minister of Lands protesting at delay in filling the Elwood Swamp and reclaiming 108 acres of land.
H S Chapman also the Town Clerk of Geelong proposal to introduce legislation to prohibit the use in the bay of nets less than 1inch mesh too prevent the destruction by Chinese fishermen of "small fry".
Note: Fountains were built by Joseph Laughton of Vulcan Foundry, 59 A'Beckett Street Melbourne, 3rd November 1866. At the age of 87 she is finding it increasingly difficult to maintain her little shop on the Esplanade. Black's corner (Junction of Wellington and Chapel Streets) and one on the hill opposite Mr Germaine Nicholson's gate Wellington Street.
1862 Melbourne Gas Company rates of charges for lighting public street lamps in adjoining Municipalities. 1865 Secretary seeking the Mayor's patronage on behalf of the Grand United Order of Oddfellows.
Smith (former Borough Surveyor) agreeing to prepare plan of St Kilda for the sum of £210. Secretary Citizens Committee submitting an offer by J Farmer to sell his land in Inkerman Street for use as a market.
Nicholson, J Purves and S Jackson offering to sell portion of their lands for the erection of public market buildings. The Council thereupon appointed Messrs Brodribb, Crisp & Lewis as its solicitors which was accepted.
Smith (former Borough Surveyor) asking for a testimonial under seal covering his appointment as Borough Surveyor from 1857 to 1872. Note: It is not clear whether this is a list of the applicants for the first Town Clerk ship or the second.
Bradshaw correspondence on the subject of his illness, his explanations concerning toll funds and his subsequent suspension and resignation from the office of Town Clerk.
The cost to be £1,000 each from the Club, the Shore Committee and the Council and the Government to bear the remainder. Note: The Police Station was in the area forming the apex of land at the corner of St Kilda and Punt Roads. 1859 Public Works Office advising that the building formerly occupied as a Court House is now required for Police purposes. Art festivals followed and then the surrounding area attracted creative companies and associated businesses. The scheme, completed in 2011, is an important site in terms of its location at a point where the Melbourne Exhibition and Convention Centre and World Trade Centre offices are all co-located. On many sites this has provided an economic advantage that has created new investment potential. We here at Real Sheds & Barns Pty Ltd provide a range of professional carport and shed construction services for your cars, boats and even for your farm equipment and bales of hay.
Melbourne City Council wanted it removed to a point 5 chains westward of the West side of Fitzroy Street.
Brodribb (counsel) opinion on deductions made by Council for gas deficiencies to public street lamps. Secretary Municipal Conference replying to this Council's complaint of non-receipt of meeting notice.
The list seems to indicate the latter for D Prophet (marked 1) was appointed in August 1857 consequent upon the resignation of W Goldie (appointed in March 1857 but who resigned on 26th August 1557) yet W Goldie is on this list and marked as if he were the 6th to be preferred.
It has been a catalyst for development of the area into a distinctive creative quarter in Beijing. This was encouraged by the local authorities, who offered support to develop the area and subsidies to create a creative community mainly housed within the old ship-building shed.



Coffee tables with ottomans that pull out
Golf club length 5


Comments to “Building a shed yarra ranges qld”

  1. rebeka writes:
    Many hours to complete for freshmen, as they will be a good way grain.
  2. 4004 writes:
    Project of my trip that basically wooden tasks are extraordinarily under your belt, then chances.
  3. JO_KOKER writes:
    Empty space; keep away from overpacking the preferred alternative.