Subscribe to RSS

The animals at Woodland Park Zoo are grouped into the different areas they’re found around the world. While the special events come at their own cost, normal entry into Woodland Park Zoo varies throughout the year.
Phinney generously opened his estate to the public as long as they obeyed his conspicuously posted rules.
Seattleites used the newly developed system of streetcar lines to make their way out to Woodland Park from Seattle, then still concentrated on the hills around Elliott Bay. By 1899, there was considerable public interest in acquiring the Phinney estate and the City Council passed a resolution authorizing the purchase of the park for $100,000. During the first 30 years of the 20th century, the zoo slowly took on the appearance of a "real" zoo of the time.
1903: A small private zoo at Leschi Park closed and the animals were moved to Woodland Park. 1904: A trolley line was constructed through the lower portion of the park, opening it to more visitation. The speed limit for cars and motorcycles passing through the park was set at 12mph on the straightaway and 6mph on curves. 1914: The zoo's first pony ring constructed, larger than the current one but nearly on the same site and sprawling to the west. On January 23rd, the southwest corner of WPZ, later known as the War Garden, was dedicated to the veterans of the Spanish-American War. Some cages were built or retrofitted with rockwork as an early attempt to create natural habitats. Wide Awake gave rides at ten cents a ride, but the rides were terminated when she decided to take off down a public street on her own. A formal Rose Garden was proposed by the Seattle Rose Society and established by the Parks Board. A new kangaroo house was built, for red kangaroos and wallaroos (NOT the current Australasia building). 1924: A statue,"The Hiker," portraying a Spanish-American War infantryman, was placed in the War Garden (the southwest corner of the park near N. 1927: There were major discussions in public meetings about closing the north entrance to motor traffic. There is a scrap of paper in the zoo's archives, apparently penciled by the zoo's director, Dr. Tusko was an infamous circus bull, renowned for his tremendous size and for having gone on rampages from time to time.
Despite a public referendum to the contrary and vast opposition, Barkoff's six-lane highway was cut through the middle of Woodland Park.
1933: During this early Depression period, WPZ was almost closed due to severe financial problems.
The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) donated a totem pole commemorating the state's Golden Jubilee (50 years since becoming a state). The zoo received a male polar bear from the Kamchatka peninsula, USSR, brought here on ship Lamut. Gilmore "quintcublets" donated by Frederick and Nelson (a play on words, referring to the famous Dionne quintuplets).
1944: The Mammal (Seal) Pool "in commission"(apparently this means a contract was authorized to build the exhibit now home to the zoo's penguins).
The zoo that existed at the time of Knudson's retirement had changed little in thirty years.
To begin with, he went on a grand tour of the country's better zoos, to take a look at their exhibits and get ideas.
1947: The annual report says "1 million plus visitors" though that figure should be taken with a large grain of salt.
First administration building was constructed (in the 1970s it was remodeled and enlarged, and became the ARC building, near 55th and Phinney). Work began on a west entrance at Phinney Ave., in preparation for fencing the zoo for the first time. A 1948 map shows a miniature train in place north of the Parks shops, the location it would occupy until its removal in 1980.
The bear grottos were completed, considered "state of the art" at the time and attracted the attention of Marlin Perkins and his "Zoo Parade" show. 1953: The zoo's first Animal Health Department completed, with X-Ray, minor surgery, necropsy room. Great Northern Engine #1246 was installed near what is now the entrance to the Elephant Forest, just south of the Feline House along the main circulation path. Because of parents' complaints (too crowded, lines too long, kids refuse to go on into the zoo) Kiddyland was relocated to the area just south of what is now the Thai Elephant Forest, then inside the trackage of the BB&S railway.
In December, the KCTS show Buttons and His Buddies began, featuring zoo animals and a zoo staffer, first Jack Alexander, and later Frank Vincenzi, who had trained Buttons, a gibbon. 1956: Elephant rides were inaugurated with Morgan Berry-owned elephants in the wading pool where the savanna is now located. Let the state-of-the-art acoustic engineering transport you with the symphonic sounds of the forest. At the training wall, visitors will have the unforgettable opportunity to observe zookeepers working one-on-one with our Malayan tigers and sloth bears.
The zoo also has a bug world, family farm (with pigs, cows and more), a nature-inspired indoor play space called Zoomazium (among other outdoor play areas), shows, restaurants, picnic tables and even a historic carousel. There is extensive information about the animals around every exhibit, and there are also employees and zookeepers around the zoo who are ready and willing to answer your questions.
Phinney paid $10,000 for 342 acres of land along what we now call Phinney Ridge and down the slope to Green Lake. He permitted no foul language, firearms or dogs (which would be "shot on sight," stated the rules).


Phinney had tracks installed down the hill to the town of Fremont and purchased his own streetcar, which was white and had "Woodlands" painted on the sides.
The move was controversial, however, due to the feeling of many people that the price was too high and the park located too far out of town (at the turn of the century, the area around Green Lake was still virtually undeveloped).
Increasing numbers of fenced yards were built for birds and hooved animals such as deer, sheep, elk and bison. A row of barred bear and lion cages were constructed along the main north-south pathway through the zoo. It was the first heated structure at the zoo and the most impressive building on the zoo grounds until mid-century. It stood on the present site of the zoo's main restrooms, south of the Tropical Rain Forest. It looked like a big mushroom, and was located just north of the Polar Bear cage and east of the old Primate House, about on the current site of the DeBrazza's guenon exhibit on the Tropical Rain Forest loop path. Two Civil War-era barge howitzers (small wheeled field pieces) were added to the existing naval guns that had been placed there in 1911.
Actually, the elephant was purchased by the P-I in 1920 in anticipation of the fund-raising effort.
It now serves as the zoo's Raptor Center, and is the oldest structure still in use on the zoo grounds.
It is still in existence in 1999, and is regarded as one of the finest in the nation, having won many awards in the category of public rose gardens.
The Pheasantry, much improved, is still in service at the zoo.Harding Memorial completed (see 1923).
It was noted that approximately 3,300 cars per day used the zoo as a shortcut, and went right past the animal cages.
A New Deal program, the Works Progress Administration used federal money to employ skilled workers on public projects. Knudson visited several eastern zoos to study contemporary methods of exhibit construction and animal care. Remodeled, it serves today as a bird-rearing facility, for the incubation of eggs and the care of hatchlings. He was living in miserable conditions in a traveling show at Virginia and Westlake, in downtown Seattle.
The decision was apparently highly political and was orchestrated by landowners and merchants. There were no indications of what kinds of animals those would be, however the cursory records from the time seem to indicate that many common and domestic animals were accepted as donations.
This was done usually on Sundays (though some reports say daily) in a yard to the north of Monkey Island -- the current site of the the east patio of the Rainforest CafZ.
It was carved by Chief Shelton of the Salish tribe and represented aspects of Washington state. Clark requested the loan of the Civil War-era barge howitzers that had been placed in the War Garden in 1914. The five sibling cubs received much local press and were featured heavily in F&N Christmas promotions that year.
He was often frustrated by the mistreatment of the animals by visitors, as well as the lack of support for the zoo by the City. The zoo that Johnson left when he became Parks Superintendent in 1960 was phenomenally improved. The zoo was not even fenced, let alone gated, and therefore attendance estimates were very rough. Demolished in 1990, it was located on the current site of (the western half of) the Rain Forest Food Pavilion.
It had the original Ferris wheel and carousel with a new boat ride, auto ride, and streamliner train.
As you stand under the roots of a Banyan tree that bridges the divide between visitor and animal spaces, get close enough to hear even the minutest sounds of the tiger—breathing, coughing, purring, licking and deep rumbling.
These training presentations will get visitors closer to live predators than at any other exhibit at the zoo, and provide insight into how the zoo safely cares for such large and dangerous animals. The list of animals at Woodland Park Zoo (which also includes penguins, snow leopards and wolves) goes on and on.
On top of that, there are also several classes, camps and programs for kids and adults throughout the year at Woodland Park Zoo.
He kept 180 acres for himself and spent $40,000 constructing an elegant English-style estate, complete with formal gardens.
The Mayor also opposed the acquisition and vetoed the purchase, but the City Council overturned the veto and the papers were signed on December 28, 1899. For decades, bears and big cats paced back and forth in these cages until the Bear Grottos and the Feline House were completed in 1951.
It housed waterfowl, and at other times, seals and river otters, according to the zoo's second director, Ed Johnson. A plaque made of metal from the USS Maine was set there as well, to honor the personnel of the USS Illinois. Wide Awake was presented at WPZ in June, 1921, following a celebratory parade through downtown. 1922: A small elephant house was constructed for Wide Awake in northwest corner of the zoo. It was a large concrete bandstand, with bas-relief sculptures of boy scouts and the late president.
Local residents and nearby commercial interests were against the closure, zoo and city Humane Society personnel were for it. On it he roughed out a host of ideas for possible WPA projects, some ambitious and others more modest.
At least one teenage girl was hired to fill in for zookeepers who'd gone off to war, and she was quite the novelty -- a woman zookeeper!


Now it is informally referred to as "Keeper Central" or "Old Animal Health." The zoo's Exhibit technicians have their shops in the surrounding compound. Barkoff was hired by the city to design a six-lane north-south highway through the city -- Aurora Ave. The age range was changed from 16-20 to 18-45 and was open to both sexes (though this seemed to be a theoretical rather than an actual opportunity for women).
Lewis wrote an autobiography -- I Loved Rogues -- in which he detailed the years he spent training elephants in circuses and zoos. The north portion of the building had a higher roofline and was more spacious, in keeping with Tusko's tremendous size. Gene Chriest tells of driving around from one grocer to another picking up leftover food for the animals, however, this was apparently common practice even before the Depression, according to the late Ed Johnson, former director.
Newspapers say he performed this feat for Vice President John Nance Garner, who allegedly was unimpressed.
Maps from the 1970s show it in the northern portion of the fallow deer yard across from Evanston Ave. The present area of the zoo's North Meadow, where concerts take place each summer, was the approximate site of an anti-aircraft gun site, with audio acquisition and a searchlight. Johnson had been at the zoo since 1926, and not only rose to become the zoo's director, but later became the superintendent of Parks and then the director of Seattle Center. It is possible that without this timely burst of construction activity, Woodland Park Zoo might have gone the way of other zoos which were neglected for too long and were finally deemed not worth saving. It was demolished in 2008 and a new, sustainably built penguin exhibit, featuring natural wetland water filtering and geothermal heating and cooling. Today, this complex, updated and with more natural-appearing exhibits, still serves as home for gorillas and tropical bears.
Animals could be moved from cage to cage by just one person using a unique trolley type cage (still in place and in use, 1999). Twenty years later, the glass was salvaged and used in the viewing windows of the new gorilla exhibit. The place is always changing (and animals are extremely unpredictable), so no trip to the zoo is ever the same twice. The feedings typically only happen once a day for an hour, so be sure to check the Woodland Park Zoo website for more information.
He named it "Woodland Park." There was a conservatory, promenade, hunting lodge, the "Woodlands Hotel," and even a menagerie. When the African Savanna was constructed, a large hole was dug next to the memorial, and it was simply tipped into the hole and buried. In the end, and for many years afterwards, traffic was allowed to continue through the zoo. One can almost imagine his excitement at the opportunity to have some much needed exhibit construction performed through the miracle of federal monies. It would be 25 years before women would once again be part of the animal keeping work force at Woodland Park Zoo and in 2003, a woman became president and CEO of the zoo. Zookeepers slaughtered horses for food for the lions and other big cats here as late as the 1970s. The Park Board approved the acquisition of Tusko provided title was free and clear and hired G.W. Retired keeper Gene Chriest disagrees, and said that Red refused to do the act because it wasn't the right time or the right day. There were barracks in the ball field area in upper Woodland Park as well (near 59th & Phinney).
It may have been a combination of Knudson's remarks, Johnson's political skill, and the booming post-war economy, but for whatever reasons the zoo entered an unprecedented era of building. Tove knows I enjoy Woodland Park Zoo so much that she bought me a membership for my birthday, and she plans on becoming a member next year. It saves you 43% on Seattle’s biggest tourist attractions, including Woodland Park Zoo. The animal collection featured North American animals like black bear and deer, but there were African ostriches as well. He was officially made the zoo's first director in 1922, though he had probably been in charge of the zoo since his arrival. History has not been kind to Harding, and he is not regarded today with the same reverence as in 1925. He dreamed of a giant indoor Tropical Aviary building that would have followed the arc of the pathway around the North Meadow. It’s free with admission (and open all day long), but seed sticks are $1 each (cash only). Don’t forget to also visit Seattle Bloggers for more fun attractions around the Emerald City. Boy Scouts planted Maple trees near the wading pool (the current site of the south parking lot and the Family Farm). Knudson vented his considerable accumulation of frustration, blasting the Park Board for micromanagement and the City of Seattle for their lack of financial support. A winding road led down to the lake's edge through the more forested portion of the estate.
Her show name was "Cleopatra" but she was renamed in honor of a P-I children's group, "the Wide Awake Club." She was named by Dorothy Jewell Dike, who won a contest for the privilege. Woodland Park занимает 37 гектаров, важно отметить, что со времени основания, более чем 110 лет назад, площадь зоопарка уменьшилась приблизительно в два раза. The tree-lined boulevards that connect one park to another throughout the city were part of the Olmsted design.



Thomas train set compilation video volume 4 zip
Nce dcc model trains
Mta trains penn station
Thomas the train interactive table london




Comments to «Woodland zoo seattle washington»

  1. Guiza writes:
    Has info on more than 200,000 items related confident to have.
  2. BIR_GECENIN_MARAQI writes:
    Division web web site, shows the Kadee/Micro-Trains couplers mounted for each train.